Fyi Two Possible "dry" Days Next Week

MeetJohnDoe

Next Tuesday and Wednesday are important Buddhists holidays...according to today's Post, alcohol sales will be banned. Don't know if means restos/bars as well as retail nor how strictly it will be enforced in Patters.

One of the more strictly adhered to holidays as it is the start of Buddhist Lent, but there will still be plenty of places to get a beer - just no music.

For me it's a couple of bonus days off work with a fridge full of beer - lovely.

Same as Election Day -- No Booze

Restaurants and Bars can stay open -- Just can't sell Booze

Foreigners at any restaurant or bar on these days -- make sure you carry your passport (or a copy) along with a valid visa stamp -- Cops have a right to "demand" seeing evidence that you have a legitimate right to stay in Thailand..........

If you get caught in a place that is violating the law, you will have problems.........

Remember -- this is THEIR country -- if you don't like the rules and regulations -- Get on the next plane and leave the country........

Are you sure it is Tuesday and Wednesday, and not Monday and Tuesday?

My school is closing on Monday and Tuesday. (6th and 7th)

Definitely Tues and Weds 7th and 8th

Foreigners at any restaurant or bar on these days -- make sure you carry your passport (or a copy) along with a valid visa stamp -- Cops have a right to "demand" seeing evidence that you have a legitimate right to stay in Thailand..........

If you get caught in a place that is violating the law, you will have problems.........

Remember -- this is THEIR country -- if you don't like the rules and regulations -- Get on the next plane and leave the country........

A bit paranoid aren't you- have you ever actually been out in Pattaya on a religious holiday? Nearly everywhere will still be selling booze. Some might serve it in a coffee mug, others openly.

The coppers really don't give a stuff as long as there is no music and the lights aren't too bright. I've been in a bar on Buddha day when the coppers came in and told them to turn off the music - must have been 12 or more expats openly drinking beer, we weren't asked to show our passports. The worst that would happen if the coppers did decide to raid a place is that the foreigners would be asked to leave.

Chill out, you're making everyone nervous.

As for your 'if you don't like it leave' rubbish, when did anyone on this thread complain about it????

Jeez why don't you get on the next plane <snip> this place is obviously not good for your blood pressure.

Edited by soundman
Removed flame. No more please.

:D:D ......scaremongering.....Where in the law does it say you have to carry a passport...it doesnt, it requires you to able to identify yourself..thats all. Been in places raided by Thailands finest, produced my Thai DL...no problem.... :D

As regards your last sentence....did you come up with this all by yourself. ?? :) .....this phrase is getting very tiresome...generally coming from people who dont have the intellect to contribute something constructive to a conversation... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

Cops have a right to "demand" seeing evidence that you have a legitimate right to stay in Thailand..........

Where in the law does it say you have to carry a passport...it doesnt, it requires you to able to identify yourself..thats all. Been in places raided by Thailands finest, produced my Thai DL...no problem.... :)

Don't want to get picky but in the case of foreigners, there is also the issue of if they are in the country legally. This is most easily done by examining one's passport. Having the passport handy facilitates this process. In some cases, even with a Thai DL, you could still be detained until you could produce the passport for examination.

All that being said, I don't carry my PP on me and in a decade in LOS have never been asked to show my identity to any BIB...just lucky I guess :D

Those are the days that I'm dying for a beer...............

I hardly ever drink, maybe 15 bottles a year, but amazingly enough, during the 'dry' days in Pattaya there is this urge to get some booze.

Usually, an early night sleep will help, but because the days involved are Tuesday and Wednesday (or maybe even Monday and Tuesday) it'll be ok: I've to work anyway.

Cops have a right to "demand" seeing evidence that you have a legitimate right to stay in Thailand..........

Where in the law does it say you have to carry a passport...it doesnt, it requires you to able to identify yourself..thats all. Been in places raided by Thailands finest, produced my Thai DL...no problem.... :)

Don't want to get picky but in the case of foreigners, there is also the issue of if they are in the country legally. This is most easily done by examining one's passport. Having the passport handy facilitates this process. In some cases, even with a Thai DL, you could still be detained until you could produce the passport for examination.

All that being said, I don't carry my PP on me and in a decade in LOS have never been asked to show my identity to any BIB...just lucky I guess :D

You are of course correct, if the BiB started becoming anal about things, but like you, in 8 years never carried my passport while frequenting bars or other similar establishments, Have been involved with a BiB raid once in the that time and the plod was happy enough when I produced my Thai DL....

Not saying it couldnt happen, just giving my personal experience as the poster of these comments was being a bit melodramatic to say the least...

Yeah, I'll remember this next time I visit a bar which has nudity and lewdness on open display and everyone is smoking cigarettes. Perhaps the whole of Pattaya should fly away to somewhere.

Yeah, I'll remember this next time I visit a bar which has nudity and lewdness on open display and everyone is smoking cigarettes. Perhaps the whole of Pattaya should fly away to somewhere.

Just a few of the things that make Pattaya great :)

Here is the notice from my daughter's school.

The school says that Monday is an extra ay, approved/ordered by the Government.

To: Parents/ Guardians, Rayong English Programme School (REPS)

RE: An additional one more day public holiday

Refer to on July 7-8, 2009 is a public holiday of Thailand which be identical at Tuesday and Wednesday.

This is to inform you that as declared by the Thai National Government, there will be an addition one more day public holiday on Monday of July, 2009 the school will be closed for three days starting 6-8 of July and will reopens on July 9,2009

--Information Department--

Rayong English Programme School (REPS)

But it doesn't say whether alcohol may be served, or music played, on the Monday.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

I thought it was Monday & Tuesday. My partner is off work Mon & Tues and goes back to work on Wednesday.

The Thai calendar hanging in our house has Tuesday and Wednesday in red for holidays.

It is Tuesday and Wednesday, Monday is a bridge day for many.

I heard that Tuesday most entertainment places will be closed completely, Wednesday open again, but no music, low light....