Tat Organises Shopping Contest To Boost Tourism

george

TAT organises shopping contest to boost tourism

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) on Wednesday launched Shopping Challenge 2009, a shopping contest, at leading department stores in Bangkok to boost Thai tourism.

The competition was organised at nine department stores in the heart of Bangkok linked to the BTS Sky Train by ‘skywalks’ for access.

TAT Deputy Governor for International Marketing Santichai Euachongprasit said the tourism agency had invited 53 celebrities from 11 Asian countries to participate in the event, including actors, singers, models and media professionals.

According to the rules of the game, 23 teams were divided with two or three persons in a group. Each team received a Bt30,000-limit credit card and must shop as many goods under Thai brands as possible within 210 minutes at all routes required. The team buying the right goods with as many as of Thai brands and with the least time consuming was awarded with Bt100,000 cash.

The activity was in compliance with the Amazing Thailand Grand Sale 2009 project, three months from the beginning of June through the end of August, with 20 per cent of travellers’ expenses anticipated from shopping, projected at Bt80 billion per year.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-02

Pity the Skytrain doesn't go to the airport, or they could have included King Power to the list of shops. That should weed out a few of the teams!

Seriously, how much are the pratts at TAT screwing out of the Thai taxpayer to squander on this kind of foolish gimmick? And whose pockets are being lined in the process?

Just for added thrill, one unlucky contestant will have a small extra item slipped into their bag by the cashier. They will then be promptly apprehended by security guards who will turn them over to the police.

They will then be locked up for a few hours to soften them up before being held in a secret location and threatened with months in a Thai prison cell with 35 other inmates before being forced to hand over up to a million baht.

The TAT are confident that, as well as adding extra excitement, this will help offset the cost of the promotion and so bring about a true win-win situation for all stakeholders.

The minister praised the TAT's ingenuity and eyed his 20% take as well.

Just for added thrill, one unlucky contestant will have a small extra item slipped into their bag by the cashier. They will then be promptly apprehended by security guards who will turn them over to the police.

They will then be locked up for a few hours to soften them up before being held in a secret location and threatened with months in a Thai prison cell with 35 other inmates before being forced to hand over up to a million baht.

The TAT are confident that, as well as adding extra excitement, this will help offset the cost of the promotion and so bring about a true win-win situation for all stakeholders.

The minister praised the TAT's ingenuity and eyed his 20% take as well.

:) Didn't take long :D

This is a joke right? april fools???
the tourism agency had invited 53 celebrities from 11 Asian countries to participate in the event, including actors, singers, models and media professionals.

TAT will not agree with your truly correct observation... :)

Edited by webfact

Is a list available where I can read which distinguished VIP's have been invited?

The likes of Jacky Chan, Jet Li....................... or Nippon Boy Bands? :)

Girl's Generation, Super Junior, Wonder Girls, Paula Taylor's boyfriend, more than likely the type of celebrity they would invite.

So how is this going to boost tourism??? Is it going to be televised in 11 Asian countries or just in Thailand if at all. If not how is it going to promote tourism.

I have a feeling someone at TAT saw the amazing race asia, went out and had a few beers with his mates, had one of those drunken beer ideas, 'lets do the amazing race shopping in Bangkok', woke up the next day and actually put it into practice.

Here's a better idea for promoting tourism - free travel on any and all government bus, coach or rail service for any foreign tourist when their passport is shown with the 30 day tourist visa (non immigrant holders and thais excluded) between the months of x and y and the waiving of all entrance fees to national parks.

Sure the coaches etc may not be the best, but the idea that once you arrive in Thailand you can travel for free would hold an appeal, especially when times are hard and more money would go into the local economy rather than state coffers.

Beats some teenage Korean pop star being given a wad of cash and told to go shop

TAT Deputy Governor for International Marketing Santichai Euachongprasit said the tourism agency had invited 53 celebrities from 11 Asian countries to participate in the event, including actors, singers, models and media professionals.

By the way can anyone name a celebrity media professional for me. I'm not even sure i know what a celebrity media professional is?? What do they do? present things in the media in a professional way - Can't work for 'The Nation' then.........oooops :)

By the way can anyone name a celebrity media professional for me. I'm not even sure i know what a celebrity media professional is?? What do they do? present things in the media in a professional way - Can't work for 'The Nation' then.........oooops :D

Paris Hilton......................? :):D

By the way can anyone name a celebrity media professional for me. I'm not even sure i know what a celebrity media professional is?? What do they do? present things in the media in a professional way - Can't work for 'The Nation' then.........oooops :D

Paris Hilton......................? :D:D

What's a Paris Hilton?? A new French Hotel :) ......I'll get my coat.

Edited by jonclark

Paris Hilton......................? :D:D

What's a Paris Hilton?? A new French Hotel :) ......I'll get my coat.

I would stay a night in the Paris Hilton, looks like a half way decent place...

While it may seem an inane idea (at least as inane as some comments here from some usual suspects;) consider Asian countries comprise the #1 group of visitors to Thailand and also comprise the largest decline in visitors at the moment (being more susceptible than most to political mayhem, airport closures and especially violent riots).

With a gaggle of Asian actors, singers etc will follow a gaggle of asian photographers and video crews etc. The photos and video clips will likely then find there way into hundreds of popular asian magazines and onto popular asian tv slots etc= essentially FREE targeted mass advertising (less the comparatively small cost of bringing them here).

At this point, basically almost anything which 'may' potentially attract visitors to Thailand is likely welcomed by most reasonable people (well, perhaps not by some of the usual suspects whom have other motives judging by some of their post histories;) In the larger picture, if the overall direction here is to attract as many Expat Thailand bashers as possible, then it seems to be working a charm. Snickering naysayers and misery love company and here many seem to wallow in it (must be marketable tho;) Chok dee. :)

Edited by baht&sold

An additional 53 socialite shoppers will really help to boost the tourism along with the Free Single Entry Tourist Visa, should attract millions of people .

Its a pity they didnt do the Free Shopping race at King Power at Swampypool, the staff would have had a field day along with Mr Sri Lanka and police buddies. :)

Can they purchase Thai products from Nana Plaza?

TAT is brilliant the way they put taxes in action!

Well they would all be 'Made in Thailand'.

And made by an assortment of visitors on a regular basis too.

Brilliantly putting a 'spit shine' on the whole place.

Will there be a follow up contest?

Maybe a full seed... er speed run through Katoeys R US?

Could raise Tourists if not tourism noticably... :)

Levity or member levitation aside,

Baht and Sold has a point,

the press returning to Asian market foreign lands will likely be worth the effort.

For the reasons he mentions.

Edited by animatic

With a gaggle of Asian actors, singers etc will follow a gaggle of asian photographers and video crews etc. The photos and video clips will likely then find there way into hundreds of popular asian magazines and onto popular asian tv slots etc= essentially FREE targeted mass advertising (less the comparatively small cost of bringing them here).

Don't know many people who base their holiday plans around a shopping game show staring what may well turn out to be plastic pop stars. Maybe I'm wrong , but seeing Madonna running around the streets of Paris YSL and Armani shopping bags in hand wouldn't persuade me to go to France for my next holiday irrespective of what magazine I saw it in. Good food, wine, service, accommodation, beaches would persuade me. Boy bands shopping for jeans wouldn't.

As you said though may turn out to be a free targeted mass advertising coup, I just think they are advertising the wrong stuff. But, i'm British and maybe the asians have a different set of ideas when booking a holiday.

Chok Dee to you too.

Don't know many people who base their holiday plans around a shopping game show staring what may well turn out to be plastic pop stars. Maybe I'm wrong , but seeing Madonna running around the streets of Paris YSL and Armani shopping bags in hand wouldn't persuade me to go to France for my next holiday irrespective of what magazine I saw it in. Good food, wine, service, accommodation, beaches would persuade me. Boy bands shopping for jeans wouldn't.

As you said though may turn out to be a free targeted mass advertising coup, I just think they are advertising the wrong stuff. But, i'm British and maybe the asians have a different set of ideas when booking a holiday.

Chok Dee to you too.

You are right!!! :)

Chok Dee to you too.

Cheers JC - actually, Asians seem to go gagga over fluffy actors and actresses and the market is usually affluent. Therefore I see the silly aspect but also the savvy aspect. Add in the other subtle aspects of the seemingly silly campaign of showing off a modern Bkk (shopping malls, elevated skytrain with connecting walks etc) all portrayed in a 'seemingly' safe environment, plus having them shop for Thai brands on top and all in all, damned clever really.

As one not taken by all the 'star' glitz etc, I get your Madonna point. Mel Gibson was was filming back in my home town and a traffic cop stuck his head in my window and apologised for what would be a lengthy delay. I stuck my head out and shouted 'Hey Mel, act like a cop and get this traffic moving' (big grin from Mr Gibson;)

However, if you've seen the clever 'I feel like a star' advert on CNN with Costner, bet many remember the airline... (good advert that, altho, bet Costner wouldn't want it seen in the west;) :)