How Can I Make Moo Gop?

skinnymilinky

Hi,

As I am back in the UK now I am lucky enough to have brought my own personal Thai cook with me (my husband, much better than any Thai restaurant in the UK!) but although I can get all the ingredients I want except maybe Pla La for somtam I really miss Moo Gop. (my favourite being Pad Krapow Moo Gop.)

Does anyone have any ideas how to make it myself, is it just slow roasted in an oven? Since I have never known a Thai person to own an oven I am not sure how they make it!! I have tried frying pork belly but its just not the same and I want somethig that I can chomp through for a whole week. I could even hang it in my kitchen window for authenticity!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Hi,

As I am back in the UK now I am lucky enough to have brought my own personal Thai cook with me (my husband, much better than any Thai restaurant in the UK!) but although I can get all the ingredients I want except maybe Pla La for somtam I really miss Moo Gop. (my favourite being Pad Krapow Moo Gop.)

Does anyone have any ideas how to make it myself, is it just slow roasted in an oven? Since I have never known a Thai person to own an oven I am not sure how they make it!! I have tried frying pork belly but its just not the same and I want somethig that I can chomp through for a whole week. I could even hang it in my kitchen window for authenticity!!

Try steaming till almost cooked, drain the fat during steam,

hang the pork up to be air dried for a day, then deep fry in hot oil.

Hi,

Sliced pork marinated in garlic and pepper. My wife says deep fried, sometimes sun dried first. Can do the same thing with small pork ribs. Hope this helps.

Google "Moo Krop recipe" (not Moo Gob!)

Lots of recipes online.

Patrick

Googling for recipes, although often fruitfull, will more often than not produce Western versions of the recipe, even Thai sites in English adjust for what they percieve to be the farang taste.

For really authentic recipes, I always get my gf to google in Thai script.... this produces the real Mcoy sites. :) (or should I say the real moo gai หมู ไก่ sites, :D )

Lots of recipes online.

Patrick

Googling for recipes, although often fruitfull, will more often than not produce Western versions of the recipe, even Thai sites in English adjust for what they percieve to be the farang taste.

For really authentic recipes, I always get my gf to google in Thai script.... this produces the real Mcoy sites. :) (or should I say the real moo gai หมู ไก่ sites, :D )

Moo Krop it is then!! Just shows how being with a Essan man can warp your perceptions of how words are transcribed in English!! I think he would say Klop!

Luckily brought my notebook from Thailand with me complete with Thai keyboard, a job for my husband then!

Thanks for all your help!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

My TGF, her family & my farang friends like the way I make moo krob. One English pal won't let me cut the finshed pcs- loves to just hold on and keep crunching!! Having read the other comments, I think I'm gonna try JL's steamed, dried, fried method soon- sounds really good. Anyway, the simple way I make it, here in Jomtien, is as follows:

Pork belly strips, liberally salted on both sides

Place under the broiler

Broil side 1 until crispy, turn

Broil side 2 until crispy (drain fat at least once per side)

When both sides are fully cooked and crispy, remove from oven & pat dry with paper towels

Good Luck & Bon appetit!

Lots of recipes online.

Patrick

Moo Krop it is then!! Just shows how being with a Essan man can warp your perceptions of how words are transcribed in English!! I think he would say Klop!

Luckily brought my notebook from Thailand with me complete with Thai keyboard, a job for my husband then!

Thanks for all your help!

หมูกรุบ

totster :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Can you tell me any place where I can get these types of cigars at inexpensive price?

What is this ???? Some secret C.I.A, coded message...

...... The squirrel's in the attic, but doesn't have an umbrella....

Sorry.... early morning and no coffee yet ......

S.J.C

Can you tell me any place where I can get these types of cigars at inexpensive price?

Yes. Take the Pork Parkway until you cross over 2nd road. Then, bear left on to Soi Swine. The Little Havana Pork Cigar Co., Ltd. is on the right side; look for the life-size hog smoking a stogie/ cheroot. The rest is up to you, Agent X... Good luck!

What is this ???? Some secret C.I.A, coded message...

Sorry.... early morning and no coffee yet ......

S.J.C

Oh, shit, that's trouble!! Nobody panic! We'll meet tonight, at the usual rendezvous, and figure out our next move. Bring your code books. And repeat: nobody panic; we've been through worse stuff than this, men. The quick brown for jumped over the lazy dog... sir!!

Out.