Nong Khai... Getting There

solodennis

The last time i was there i was sure the sun SETS over the Mekhong as the riverbank at Nong Khai faces West.

Just testing.............. :D

Yeah, the sun sets in the west. But one day I wasn't so sure...

I was on the homeward bound loop CM-MaiSai-CM via Chiang Saen and heading back in a southerly direction obviously...

So I'm following the river alongside the Mekhong, going south from Chiang Saen, and after awhile, it dawns on me that the sun is now on my left, but the river is on my right... How the ###### did that happen?, I thought. Admittedly, I'd been driving on cruise all day, just wandering where I felt, on the way back home. I hadn't been on some of these back roads since they were dirt, but I hadn't made any U-turns or turn offs after Chiang Saen, so how the ###### did I end up on the same road, going back the way I came, but not going back to Chiang Saen??

Oh, I had GPS tracking on, too. And I was still stymied....

Had I only bothered to zoom out further, I would have realized that I was in this small spot where the road continues to follow the river as it turns back north for a few k's.... That had completely missed me, somehow. :o

(GPS track in green (map not accurate)

mekhongway.jpg

In my spaced-out state, I was wondering over and over if I was sure I was fully in touch with reality. :D

Edited by Ajarn

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...great responce.

Since I am getting in at noon, I may go ahead and ride to the main train station to be able to kill some time, walk around nearby, get a cold one, but either way I am inclined to do the sleeper train to get some rest and be bushy tailed the next morning. I sent an email to Mutmee but have not heard from them... I am probably taking my chances...

The last time i was there i was sure the sun SETS over the Mekhong as the riverbank at Nong Khai faces West.

I was on the homeward bound loop CM-MaiSai-CM via Chiang Saen and heading back in a southerly direction obviously...

So I'm following the river alongside the Mekhong, going south from Chiang Saen, and after awhile, it dawns on me that the sun is now on my left, but the river is on my right... How the ###### did that happen?, I thought. Admittedly, I'd been driving on cruise all day, just wandering where I felt, on the way back home. I hadn't been on some of these back roads since they were dirt, but I hadn't made any U-turns or turn offs after Chiang Saen, so how the ###### did I end up on the same road, going back the way I came, but not going back to Chiang Saen??

Had I only bothered to zoom out further, I would have realized that I was in this small spot where the road continues to follow the river as it turns back north for a few k's.... That had completely missed me, somehow. :o

mekhongway.jpg

In my spaced-out state, I was wondering over and over if I was sure I was fully in touch with reality. :D

Ajarn. I think you smoke tooooo much. :D:D:D

mekhongway.jpg

Ajarn. I think you smoke tooooo much. :D:D:D

Hey, sometimes shit just happens... No excuses needed :D

...great responce.

Since I am getting in at noon, I may go ahead and ride to the main  train station to be able to kill some time, walk around nearby, get a cold one, but either way I am inclined to do the sleeper train to get some rest and be bushy tailed the next morning.    I sent an email to Mutmee but have not heard from them... I am probably taking my chances...

solo,

my advice would be to head to the train station right away to get your ticket. it is possible you may not get a berth that night so get there to reserve asap.

if you don't hear from mutmee just go anyway, they may not be full and if they are i'm sure they can recommend or direct you to a decent place.

good luck and keep us up to date.

BTW, did you ever sail to bequia? i was there in 84 and it was one of the sweetest places i've ever been.

Dennis,

I haven't got a map in front of me, but from memory the station is at the junction of th. Pahon Yothin and th. Ratchada . Nr a large shopping mall. Get out of the cab in th. Pahon Yothin, the shopping Mall will be opposite, on yr right.

The stations don't show up on any maps yet as it is too early for the map makers.

Don't forget to get a DTAC sim card in BKK if you are bringing a GSM mobile with you.

Good Luck. :o

PS if your driver can't find the station go on to Moh Chit station and get the Metro from there AKA, Chatuchak.

...johnnyk

I was in Bequia some weeks before losing Swan Song to Hurricane Ivan. Yes, it is good but unfortunately most of the islands have been taken over by platinum card tourists, and gps yachties and the locals are selling out to 'farangs' who are actually developers... Its becoming an extension of south Florida. Sad, but true and I am sure that many of the old Thai hands would say the same.... This is one of the reasons I am not hanging in Bangkok or going to the beaches.

I am not sure what I expect to find but I am just going to kick back and let it happen. The lady I have been emailing is a primary school teacher in Nong Khai and has never been out of the country although she says she has traveled within some. She is 52 and divorced and I think with two grown children who are on their own is just testing the water too... who knows? Her age is right for me at 65 and I think that other than the language problem (she is very weak in English), we might have a chance. She is meeting me at the train station in her own car... a real plus as it shows stability and a work ethic.

As I said, I am no blathering idiot and have been in all the titty bars and bar districts to have no desire to revist Soi Cowboy as a replacement for A Mabini in Manila or the Honcho in Yokosuka and others around the globe...

What did John Lennon say... life is what is happening while you are making other plans????

dennis

...johnnyk

I am not sure what I expect to find but I am just going to kick back and let it happen.    The lady I have been emailing is a primary school teacher in Nong Khai and has never been out of the country although she says she has traveled within some.    She is 52 and divorced and I think with two grown children who are on their own is just testing the water too...  who knows?    Her age is right for me at 65 and I think that other than the language problem (she is very weak in English), we might have a chance.    She is meeting me at the train station in her own car...  a real plus as it shows stability and a work ethic.

As I said, I am no blathering idiot and have been in all the titty bars and bar districts to have no desire to revist Soi Cowboy as a replacement for A Mabini in Manila or the Honcho in Yokosuka and others around the globe...

What did John Lennon say...  life is what is happening while you are making other plans????

dennis

Dennis, best of luck to you, sir! :o

I have a flight booked for Sunday night arriving at noon on the 8th... This works good as I can just take the sleeper train that evening and I will be in Nong Khai in the morning

solodennis seems to have vanished.Must be having a great time. :o

Edited by Diggerbasher

• 2 months later...

I would guess most tv members are expats with a few quid,but in case there are some who are "kee niow" or find themselves stuck in Nong Khai overnight with no dosh there appears to be a 99 Baht per night hotel.Good for backpackers if any stumble across this web site via a search engine.

It is just outside Nong Khai on the road to Phon Phisai,a hundred yards past St Pauls school on your right.There is a large row of shophouses on elevated land with one section having a green 99 Baht a night hotel sign on the roof.

I would guess most tv members are expats with a few quid,but in case there are some who are "kee niow" or find themselves stuck in Nong Khai overnight with no dosh there appears to be a 99 Baht per night hotel.Good for backpackers if any stumble across this web site via a search engine.

It is just outside Nong Khai on the road to Phon Phisai,a hundred yards past St Pauls school on your right.There is a large row of shophouses on elevated land with one section having a green 99 Baht a night hotel sign on the roof.

The Mutmee has a dorm room for about the same amount and its right in town close to everything.

Certainly cheap at Mutmee but have not been in a dorm room since way back.

Yeah, me either, but then its been about the same length of time since I've 'found myself with no dosh'. On the other hand if you pay 20 baht for a ride out to that hotel and then 20 baht to get back then you could get a single at Mutmee for the equivalent and still have 9 baht in your pocket unless they have changed their rates...I haven't been in over a year now....time to go visit...

Hey all you expats and expat wannbe's....

I actually did 'check in' a couple of months ago when I got back to Florida.... if you missed it, I gave my thanks to all those who had contributed to my having a great time and helping with the ease of it... I had no trouble getting to Nong Khai and my Thai Internet lady friend was waiting at the train station... We got checked into the Mutmee and I stayed two weeks. My TGF was wonderful but it was not going to work in the long run. She had missrepresented herself in subtle ways and although I was not upset she was in the end not who she said she was... such as saying she could speak English... nada...none... although she had some books, but it was very difficuld for her as she is not a spring chicken. She also had sent me pictures that were taken 10-15 years ago and although once again she was not un-attractive, she was not the younger woman of days past. She did treat me like a visiting prince but toward the end as it became clear to her that it was coming to an end, she began to try to spend my money on 'little' things. I did not care as she had been a cheap date to begin with... She was a nice woman and we had a good time and I hope we both can remember the memories fondly...

I went back to Bangkok and got a room near Kha San Road and stayed five days then went to the gulf for a few days and returned to fly back to Florida as my daughter had closed on my Florida cracker old moble home on the gulf. I have been repairing and refurbishing since my return. I already miss the relaxed days on the Mekong and my afternoon ice cold Chang beer. I miss the lady too but it has past and I think she has moved on.

Amazingly when I returned I got a call from a friend who lives in Key West and a couple of years ago he met a Filipina lady on the net who was working as a nanny in Singapore. They eventually married. Anyway he introduced me to his wife's cousin who is a nanny in Fort Lauderdale. She has no kids and never married but she is quite young considering I will be 66 July 1st. She is 40, however she is not concerned over age and told me it is just a number. She does not want to hook up with a guy more her age as she feels most are looking for a younger woman, especially Asian. We have been courting on the phone for almost two months and this coming weekend I am driving to Lauderdale where I will pick her up and go on down to Key West for a week. We both know the score although I think she is not as worldly as I am... I know she is not. However, she is smart enough to know that if she just keeps being a nanny, time will run out for her and she will find it harder to find a man, especially since her employers do not let her date. The weekend is on the sly as they do not know I will be in the picture....

Wish me luck...

dennis