Internet In The Desert On Linux.

Richb2004v2

This is a difficult problem for me to expect help with, but here goes anyway.

I am in the middle of the Sahara desert working. I access the internet with my Ubuntu based netbook and my mobile phone. My connection is very slow, but recently a new device is being used by many of my colleges. One big problem here is that I can not exactly describe the device and its workings as I don't know how it works. I plugs into the USB has a small ariel and requires top up money for credit to use it. It is Chinese made and labeled ZTE CDMA Fixed Wireless Terminal. It comes with an install CD which works fine with Windows. When I connect it to my Ububtu machine nothing happens. I have tried to search the net and there are pages but the ones I managed to open on my poor connection were no help. I am really hoping to get this thing working or else I will have to wait until I return in a month or so with my Windows machine.

Thanks

This is a difficult problem for me to expect help with, but here goes anyway.

I am in the middle of the Sahara desert working. I access the internet with my Ubuntu based netbook and my mobile phone. My connection is very slow, but recently a new device is being used by many of my colleges. One big problem here is that I can not exactly describe the device and its workings as I don't know how it works. I plugs into the USB has a small ariel and requires top up money for credit to use it. It is Chinese made and labeled ZTE CDMA Fixed Wireless Terminal. It comes with an install CD which works fine with Windows. When I connect it to my Ububtu machine nothing happens. I have tried to search the net and there are pages but the ones I managed to open on my poor connection were no help. I am really hoping to get this thing working or else I will have to wait until I return in a month or so with my Windows machine.

Thanks

I use Ubuntu (9.04) with my CAT CDMA USB device. To install I selected a Verizon CDMA device from the Ubuntu add mobile connection wizard and then just changed user names and passwords to suit. The phone number was the same (#777)

Hope this information is on use

Ummh, I believe that is similar to what CAT is offering in LOS. Those aren't very Linux friendly.

However, the third result on google seems to offer a solution. I'l break it down for you however.

1. First you need to find out if Linux recognises it. With out it plugged in, run.

lsusb

2. Plug it in and run the same command again, noting the difference. It should say something like Bus 001 Device 002: ID 16d8:6803. It wont be exactly that, but note the 16d8:6803 in my example. That is what you're going to have to use(from your machine, not my example!) in a later step. Take the 16d8 and know that it's the Vendor's id, and the 6803 as the device id.

lsusb

3. See if the kernel modules are loaded (the result from this step will give you something like "usbcore:...")

dmesg | grep "usbcore"

4. If step 3 didn't result in anything, you need to load the module.

sudo modprobe cdc-acm vendor=0x**** product=0x****

Or if that doesn't work on your distro ths.

sudo modprobe acm vendor=0x**** product=0x****

Get the **** from step 2.

5. Check to make sure it's recognised.

lsusb

Should describe the device.

dmesg | grep "usbcore"

The module was loaded properly.

From there on, follow step 7 and other steps to get it working.

The reason I ask is that I dont want RB to purchase some framus that is already 10 years behind the curve.

In Pattaya there was a crowd selling W/CDMA wireless modems running under XP, some years back, that were

much slower than my Novatell 3:1 PCMCIA unit - which was running GPRS as there is not 3G in Pattaya.

I have been running GPRS & 3G/HSPDA for several years using various flavors of Linux.

Setting Linux up is a complete nobrainer once ya get the USB/Modem talking to each other.

There is no Windowsesque install of hardware - simple install kppp will do it.

Enter your account details & test AT&T protocol

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem - softlink to modem

cardctl will get ya vendor ID etc

It is rather strange - unless fone is very old - that ya dont get decent GPRS/EDGE speeds out there - check

all network settings. CDMA is same/same GSM

BR>Jack

The reason I ask is that I dont want RB to purchase some framus that is already 10 years behind the curve.

In Pattaya there was a crowd selling W/CDMA wireless modems running under XP, some years back, that were

much slower than my Novatell 3:1 PCMCIA unit - which was running GPRS as there is not 3G in Pattaya.

I have been running GPRS & 3G/HSPDA for several years using various flavors of Linux.

Setting Linux up is a complete nobrainer once ya get the USB/Modem talking to each other.

There is no Windowsesque install of hardware - simple install kppp will do it.

Enter your account details & test AT&T protocol

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem - softlink to modem

cardctl will get ya vendor ID etc

It is rather strange - unless fone is very old - that ya dont get decent GPRS/EDGE speeds out there - check

all network settings. CDMA is same/same GSM

BR>Jack

Understand your concern; but from the way I read the OP it appears he already has the device. W/CDMA is not the same as CDMA. It's a different technology and in fact if they were W/CDMA they CAN default back to GPRS and most likely NOT to EDGE. I'm not sure what the Novatel 3:1 was, but if it was EDGE, no wonder it was faster than a device running on GPRS. In real life, 1x RTT CDMA is quite comparable to EDGE even though it's a bit slower in theory.

I do agree that sym linking the /dev/tty* with /dev/modem is a good idea, even if wvdial doesn't require it. However, you keep mentioning PCMCIA; unfortunately RB doesn't have that since he has an eeePC which limits him to USB. PCMCIA requires that cards conform to certain specs; USB allows a really dumb accessory to be attached and the driver provides the intelligence to access it. Much the same way that Firewire webcams are essentially plug and play and USB webcams always need drivers. You're also correct that GPRS/EDGE/WCDMA/CDMA 1xRTT/EV-DO/HS*PA/etc are not important; getting the card talking with your machine is!

OOOOppsss - only USB - didnt know that - no matter - they all look the same in the dark.

PCMCIA ports are USB in Linux speak.

I supposed he would use the framus they already have out there - he simply needs a Ubuntu howto.

Weird that his mobile is so slow, though.

Oh well, lets hear from the Bedouin himself

BR>Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have had chance to try to sort my problem. Following instructions from Dave_boo I got the following:

richard@richard-laptop:~$ lsusb

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05e3:0505 Genesys Logic, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6335 Alcor Micro Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0b05:b700 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 15ca:00c3 Textech International Ltd. Mini Optical Mouse

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0421:005e Nokia Mobile Phones

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

After connecting the device and checking again I found this:

richard@richard-laptop:~$ lsusb

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05e3:0505 Genesys Logic, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6335 Alcor Micro Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0b05:b700 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x Composite Device

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 15ca:00c3 Textech International Ltd. Mini Optical Mouse

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0421:005e Nokia Mobile Phones

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

richard@richard-laptop:~$

Next I got this:

richard@richard-laptop:~$ dmesg | grep "usbcore"

[ 0.703464] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs

[ 0.704042] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub

[ 0.704078] usbcore: registered new device driver usb

[ 4.101200] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

[ 7.058351] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm

[ 7.078456] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether

[ 7.086762] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host

[ 7.140855] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_wlan

[ 7.156760] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev

[ 7.168438] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb

[ 7.209640] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid

[ 7.424774] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo

[ 9840.323860] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

[ 9840.326070] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

[ 9840.588700] usbcore: registered new interface driver cp2101

Using the command line from your other instruction I got this:

richard@richard-laptop:~$ dmesg | grep usbserial

[ 9840.323860] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

[ 9840.326070] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

[ 9840.326078] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

Not sure if it tells you anything.

The next step stumped me. I don't know what

to use. I tried the 10c4ea60 from earlier but it didn't work.

richard@richard-laptop:~$ sudo wvdialconf[code]

sudo: wvdialconf[code]: command not found

richard@richard-laptop:~$ sudo wvdialconf[10c4ea60]

sudo: wvdialconf[10c4ea60]: command not found

richard@richard-laptop:~$ sudo wvdialconf[ea60]

sudo: wvdialconf[ea60]: command not found

richard@richard-laptop:~$ sudo wvdialconf[10c4]

sudo: wvdialconf[10c4]: command not found

What code should I be using?

Thanks

After further searching online I have found more info. Much of it recommends producing a wvdialconf file, which should be found in the file system in the etc file. I don't seem to be able to manage this at all. Am I on the right track, and if so any tips?

open a terminal window and type

#sudo -i wvdialconf

it will make a wvdial.conf file

edit the file and insert the configuration data.

Once you are through with it dial wvdial and hopefully you ll be connected to the internet in a jiffy.

I had been using the PCMCIA card offered by PTCL here in my country and just a couple of hours ago I exchanged it with the USB version which is ZTE USB Modem FFFF.

I plugged it in ubuntu, made the conf file and its working like a charm.

• 1 month later...
After further searching online I have found more info. Much of it recommends producing a wvdialconf file, which should be found in the file system in the etc file. I don't seem to be able to manage this at all. Am I on the right track, and if so any tips?

#sudo -i wvdialconf

Once you are through with it dial wvdial and hopefully you ll be connected to the internet in a jiffy.

I had been using the PCMCIA card offered by PTCL here in my country and just a couple of hours ago I exchanged it with the USB version which is ZTE USB Modem FFFF.

Dear Richard,

Since we are together here in the middle of nowhere (Sahara desert) I feel free to ask you something if I may. I'm also at the same place but working for another company and have the same problem like you with my Ubuntu on my laptop. Tried all from your posts and reply from the other guys but my device (the same like yours) still not working. Could you please send me all the steps you have made step by step. Somehow the result is always the same - there is an error saying that .../dev/modem does not exist...

thanks anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

I not use the CDMA network, I have a old Nokia 6630 which I basically only use for wireless broadband modem, I connect by a USB cable to my netbook (basically to save electric) and I did not find a location in Thailand where I was not able to connect to the Internet. Sure sometimes it is faster because the more populated areas support EDGE and somewhere in locations where you not see people the whole day if you wait... I can connect by basic GPRS, still I can connect.

In a very remote roadside chicken BBQ place near Khon Kaen, I was able to look my favorite show on (Scifi) Syfy channel... using a wireless connection and TVUnetworks player

#sudo -i wvdialconf

Dear Richard,

Since we are together here in the middle of nowhere (Sahara desert) I feel free to ask you something if I may. I'm also at the same place but working for another company and have the same problem like you with my Ubuntu on my laptop. Tried all from your posts and reply from the other guys but my device (the same like yours) still not working. Could you please send me all the steps you have made step by step. Somehow the result is always the same - there is an error saying that .../dev/modem does not exist...

thanks anyway...

I'm afraid that in the end I gave up trying to get the device working. Today I finally managed to install XP and then install Linux Mint as dual boot. I'm hoping that this way I will be able to everything I want one way or another and should not have to continue fidling around trying different things. I'd recommend that you do the same thing. The most difficult thing with doing this was working out where to install XP and on which partition. I'm hoping I have it right.

Do you have the same Chinese made device?