Attachments From Dfat?

udon

X-Apparently-To: [email protected] via 206.190.38.17; Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:16:51 -0800

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 203.164.119.242

Authentication-Results: mta144.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=dfat.gov.au; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

X-Originating-IP: [203.164.119.242]Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Received: from 203.164.119.242 (EHLO yahoo.com) (203.164.119.242) by mta144.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:16:51 -0800

To: [email protected]

Subject:  Re: Re: Document

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:15:52 +1100

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0012_00002E6C.0000627B"

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

Content-Length: 17131

See the attached file for details.

Attachment   

your_document.pif

.pif file

Attachment scanning provided by: 

Scan and Download Attachment

Scan and Save to my Yahoo! Briefcase

I nearly opened this attachment as I'm reg'd at the Aus Embassy.

Has anyone else rec'd email like the above.?

The IP address goes to @home, australia.

&lt;deleted&gt; is a .pif file?

Something ain't right!

Thanks

I am registered with the embassy too and get emails from DFAT coming in from different addresses all the time. I can’t say I recognise the attachment you mention but previous attachments have opened ok with no bad results.

I found a web site explaining .pif files

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PIF_file.html

Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that holds information about how Windows should run a non-Windows application. For example, a PIF file can contain instructions for executing a DOS application in the Windows environment. These instructions can include the amount of memory to use, the path to the executable file, and what type of window to use. PIF files have a .pif extension .

I hope that helps

NL

The attachments i've had in the past have been for job vacancies etc at the embassy. The other attachments take you to general info DFAT sites. The email normally tells you of the attachments and what they contain.

I generally trust emails from them as I think it is a reasonably secure site.

NL

Not for the Internet cafe (or you if they find out). Just delete it. It is not, repeat not, from who it says. Never trust the from line in any email. This curiosity you have is what the virus writers depend on. Don't give them the chance. Any suspect attachment should be ditched. Your government is not going to send you something important in an attachment as most people would never open and their programs are designed not to open attachments.

Ok, but am still curious why anyone would try such a stupid thing. :D

I guess its the same low mentality as posters with multiple nics who have been banned multiple times on this and other forums.

:o:D:D Curiosity killed the cat (hopefully not your sweet looking one :D ), but it could kill your PC too. Try not to think about them - the virus writers and spammers - they are not worth it. It's a bit like staring into bright headlights to see if they really are on full or dipped - it's just not worth it! :D

Well, we managed to find out what was in the attachment safely.......

Virus"W32.Netsky.D@mm" found.

No surprise there, but what is worrying is that the DFAT site has been burgled and everyone who regd with the Aus Emb in BKK will probably get this virus sent to them. :o

Well, we managed to find out what was in the attachment safely.......

Virus"W32.Netsky.D@mm" found.

No surprise there, but what is worrying is that the DFAT site has been burgled and everyone who regd with the Aus Emb in BKK will probably get this virus sent to them. :o

As we have tried to say it does not mean it is from DFAT because is says it is. You can not depend on anything you receive via email to be real. That notice from your bank to sign on to the linked website is not from your bank and the website it going to steal your information. This is a jungle and you should not trust anything. It is better to delete than take the chance it gets loose on your computer. If you think an attachment is real ask the sender if and what he sent you to be sure before you try opening it.

Yes but you can not control your curiosity and that, as said, can kill the cat. :o

Just don't worry about it. Dump it rather than take the chance of hitting the wrong key when trying to view it in notepad or whatever. It is not going to change the world and you are not going to miss out on a million baht prize.

I know how you feel - I have had serious withdrawal pains "not finding out what it was". But there is nothing you can do as it is not going to be from who it says and when you tell them they will get upset and tell you off and then you tell them off and friends are lost over nothing.

Edited by lopburi3