Misty Morning

jandtaa

Took this shot early morning after a visit to the local temple up at the local lake.During the cold season heavy mists shroud the mountains. The mist creates some interesting opportunities for shots and a nice soft light but seems to make images quite grainy if trying to shoot through it. I think it works just about ok in this snap but would be interested to know if anyone has ideas for making the image sharper either a filter or something in post production.

cheers for now J

letmistymorning2.jpg   

If you sharpen it you'll kill it. But you might try adjusting the background to emphasise the foregound more.

Maybe this sort of effect appeals.

actions I used

Neat image to soften, contrast mask to adjust background, tone enhance on girl features, "painted in" lightness to emphasise the face, applied a "smooth mask"

Bit tricky with such a small file to work with but I hope you see what I was trying to do.

p.s. great shot, wonderful tones and framing - a real keeper for sure - 10/10 for this one

Cheers The Vulcan

Thanks for your time and effort (and the kind words) !! Yeah this really helps and was really what I was after  :D .You'll have to bear with me a bit when it comes down to technique and correct terms I'm just a bit of a dabbler although keen to learn . What I wanted to do was remove the grain from the face area now understand I should have been looking to smooth not sharpen, also like your other enhancements (must learn to mask in PS to make these sort of selective changes rather than relying on Lightroom to make image wide changes) . No choice as to whether it's a keeper as the model is the missus and it's one of her favourites  :) !! 

Thanks once again J

Cheers The Vulcan

Thanks for your time and effort (and the kind words) !! Yeah this really helps and was really what I was after  :D .You'll have to bear with me a bit when it comes down to technique and correct terms I'm just a bit of a dabbler although keen to learn . What I wanted to do was remove the grain from the face area now understand I should have been looking to smooth not sharpen, also like your other enhancements (must learn to mask in PS to make these sort of selective changes rather than relying on Lightroom to make image wide changes) . No choice as to whether it's a keeper as the model is the missus and it's one of her favourites  :) !! 

Thanks once again J

Take a look at these plug-ins for PS

Neat Image http://www.neatimage.com/

PK Sharpener and Colour - http://www.pixelgenius.com/products.html (this is the one I use for masking - it's automatic! - one click only)

PT Lens - http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/ - awesome and indispensible for image correction

All the above available on free trial

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

What a great shot, lovely genuine smile and you can just feel the cold. Great setting too, makes you wanna go there with the atmosphere created.

I'm no photographer but I can't fault it,

Regards Bojo

• 2 months later...