Govt Invests Bt900 Million To Upgrade Koh Samui Infrastructure

Govt invests Bt900 million to upgrade Koh Samui infrastructure

SURAT THANI, July 3 (TNA) – Thailand’s Ministry of Finance has allocated a budget of Bt 900 million to redevelop and upgrade infrastructure on the resort island of Samui in the southern province of Surat Thani.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij and Deputy Finance Minister Pruttichai Damrongrat visited Koh Samui to observe repairs and reconstruction work in progress of a 70 kilometre ring road around the island.

Rapid development related to tourism has caused flooding and heavier vehicle use has brought about damage to roads, so that existing infrastructure to serve tourism is insufficient. The newly-earmarked funds will be allocated to finance the project until 2012, Mr. Korn said.

The Finance Ministry has also conducted a feasibility study on building an international conference centre on a designated plot of land.

Koh Samui Tourism Association chairman Senee Puwasetthavorn said there were only a few hotels, sufficient to accommodate 100-200 people to attend a seminar.

If the government develops the area as a conference centre with capacity to serve thousands of attendees, the island will attract more tourists with higher purchasing power. Currently the island serves a clientele comprised largely of modestly funded backpackers and budget travellers.

It will also be able to hold larger events such as a crafts and products exhibition to help the island earn more income, said Mr. Senee. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/07/04

Great news - Abhisit mentioned the roads needing upgrading on a recent visit . Hopefully the section of road recently completed in Nathon will now be extended around the Island .

Koh samui has been in need of a new infrastructure for a long time, The somewhat small upgrade to samui airport was not before it's time and very much welcomed.

But i do have my reservations about this being a complete success if it is not undertaken with good aforethought.

If this is correct it is VERY GOOD NEWS. For a long time the roads on Samui must be the absolute worst roads in the whole country. I hope the government, the local authorities, the mayor and other influential people on this island will follow up this development very closely.

It may also be a challenge for Samui Express to follow up and write about the development of the work.

The newspaper was very keen to write about the plans regarding to build an unnecessary new airport on Samui.

i wonder what crafts and products exhibitions might show.. wooden frogs? coconut ashtrays? sounds like another OTOP market nobody is interested in.

they shoud save the money for the roads and a decent sewage system. most of the island smells like crap.

If this is correct it is VERY GOOD NEWS. For a long time the roads on Samui must be the absolute worst roads in the whole country. I hope the government, the local authorities, the mayor and other influential people on this island will follow up this development very closely.

It may also be a challenge for Samui Express to follow up and write about the development of the work.

The newspaper was very keen to write about the plans regarding to build an unnecessary new airport on Samui.

You can rest assured they are rubbing their hands together in anticipation as we speak :):D

bangkok air chairman must be rubbing his hands in glee :)

And the hotel operators, restaurants, bars etc.....................

No, there's an abundence of choices for Hotels, Restaurants & Bars etc, but we all know the one choice they will make when getting here, BA..

Koh samui has been in need of a new infrastructure for a long time, The somewhat small upgrade to samui airport was not before it's time and very much welcomed.

But i do have my reservations about this being a complete success if it is not undertaken with good aforethought.

Considering that Samui is open to mass tourism only for 20 years (since the airport opened in 1989) it is not such a long time. :)

I know of places in Europe that took much longer to create better infrastructure after tourists invaded certain places/islands or other areas.

LaoPo

Considering that Samui is open to mass tourism only for 20 years (since the airport opened in 1989) it is not such a long time. :)

LaoPo

I believe the airport opened in 1997 or 98.. definitely not in 1989. It was still a very good island in the start of the 90s

LaoPo

I believe the airport opened in 1997 or 98.. definitely not in 1989. It was still a very good island in the start of the 90s

The airport opened in 1989 and before that the first package tourists came via Surat Thani.

Edited by Birdman

LaoPo

The airport opened in 1989 and before that the first package tourists came via Surat Thani.

I am sure i am correct on this.

The construction of samui airport started in 1982 and completed early 1989, It was definetly operational in 89 i flew to Samui that year. (mmm maybe i was drinking red bull at the time)

LaoPo

I am sure i am correct on this.

The construction of samui airport started in 1982 and completed early 1989, It was definetly operational in 89 i flew to Samui that year. (mmm maybe i was drinking red bull at the time)

'89 it was according to this

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/koh-samui/

LaoPo

As other members already stated, you're mistaken; the airport opened in April 1989. Many TV members are able to confirm that they flew to Samui from 1989 onwards, including myself.

Many tourists do not even know that a BKK Airways plane crashed 1 1/2 year later on November 21, 1990 trying to land at Samui airport in bad weather. 33 passengers and 5 crew died :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij and Deputy Finance Minister Pruttichai Damrongrat visited Koh Samui to observe repairs and reconstruction work in progress of a 70 kilometre ring road around the island

They must be talking about the ring road to include the southern section which goes past Thong Krut, snake farm etc ( Road no. 4170), as the present ring road (4169) is only about 52 kms. Or maybe the will also include Bang Rak and Choeng Mon? (4171) :)

LaoPo

As other members already stated, you're mistaken; the airport opened in April 1989. Many TV members are able to confirm that they flew to Samui from 1989 onwards, including myself.

Many tourists do not even know that a BKK Airways plane crashed 1 1/2 year later on November 21, 1990 trying to land at Samui airport in bad weather. 33 passengers and 5 crew died :D

LaoPo

And before the police arrived, supposedly all valuables were gone.

Edited by limbos

LaoPo

LaoPo

Officially opened 1989. But I recall landing here in a BA Shorts 360 in '88. Wonderful experience, like landing in a beautiful garden.

Great news - Abhisit mentioned the roads needing upgrading on a recent visit . Hopefully the section of road recently completed in Nathon will now be extended around the Island .

Yes, that is indeed the case!

Nathon serves as some sort of testing ground...

Some "big shot" is around these days too....

thought it was some member of the royal family...

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij and Deputy Finance Minister Pruttichai Damrongrat visited Koh Samui to observe repairs and reconstruction work in progress of a 70 kilometre ring road around the island

They must be talking about the ring road to include the southern section which goes past Thong Krut, snake farm etc ( Road no. 4170), as the present ring road (4169) is only about 52 kms. Or maybe the will also include Bang Rak and Choeng Mon? (4171) :)

The missing 18 km is for tea-money. :D

Govt invests Bt900 million to upgrade Koh Samui infrastructure

SURAT THANI, July 3 (TNA) – Thailand's Ministry of Finance has allocated a budget of Bt 900 million to redevelop and upgrade infrastructure on the resort island of Samui in the southern province of Surat Thani.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij and Deputy Finance Minister Pruttichai Damrongrat visited Koh Samui to observe repairs and reconstruction work in progress of a 70 kilometre ring road around the island.

Rapid development related to tourism has caused flooding and heavier vehicle use has brought about damage to roads, so that existing infrastructure to serve tourism is insufficient. The newly-earmarked funds will be allocated to finance the project until 2012, Mr. Korn said.

The Finance Ministry has also conducted a feasibility study on building an international conference centre on a designated plot of land.

Koh Samui Tourism Association chairman Senee Puwasetthavorn said there were only a few hotels, sufficient to accommodate 100-200 people to attend a seminar.

If the government develops the area as a conference centre with capacity to serve thousands of attendees, the island will attract more tourists with higher purchasing power. Currently the island serves a clientele comprised largely of modestly funded backpackers and budget travellers.

It will also be able to hold larger events such as a crafts and products exhibition to help the island earn more income, said Mr. Senee. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/07/04

lets hope the money goes in to the Samui infrastructure not in some strange pockets as it us to be

I could be mistaken but wasnt 700 million baht promised about 18 months ago.....???

Yes i beleive it was. I am sure i will be corrected if i am wrong, That was just what you call a ballpark figure ( rough estimate).

Now the figure has being revised and the cash allocated