Shock Horror

DavidOxon

Several of us went to the Guitarman Pub (see Raro's thread) tonight - 3 beers, 4 cokes (driving), Panang Prawn and rice all for 350B - good music, good company and an enjoyable everning :)

I've been awake for 5 hours now and have yet to eat anything. It's time to cook some of the salmon I just caught. I fillet all the salmon I don't put in jars and have several methods of cooking. The simplest is to just fry it or barbeque it on the grill. Occasonally, I'll bake a whole salmon, but only if I have company. One of my favorite methods is to slice it VERY thin and marinade it in a sauce for a few hours. The sauce is made up of liquid hickory smoke flavour, brown sugar and soya sauce. The slices are so thin it only takes a minute to fry them in a pan. They taste like candy and can be eaten cold or as a main meal.

I learned the idea by slicing all the extra meat off the back bone of a salmon after I've finished filleting it and then wondered what to do with the thin slices.

Sockeye_slab_3.sized.jpg

Sockeye_trimming_backbone.jpg

Sockeye_cooked_meal_001.sized.jpg

The only "food" that impressed me at the consulate 4th of July party yesterday was the imported beer at 60-80 baht. I hardly drink at all, but Samuel Adams, Coors and Carona at those prices are a real deal.

If only the hotdogs had been hot and been cooked over a charcoal flame, instead of lightly steamed, it would have been a lot more Independence Day like.

My 2 cents is, next year, let Dave of the Duke's do a big BBQ with chicken, ribs, corn on the cob, Lateefe's baked beans, potato salad, corn bread, apple pie, etc. Let a pro handle the food.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The Salmon looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only "food" that impressed me at the consulate 4th of July party yesterday was the imported beer at 60-80 baht. I hardly drink at all, but Samuel Adams, Coors and Carona at those prices are a real deal.

If only the hotdogs had been hot and been cooked over a charcoal flame, instead of lightly steamed, it would have been a lot more Independence Day like.

My 2 cents is, next year, let Dave of the Duke's do a big BBQ with chicken, ribs, Lateefe's baked beans, potato salad, corn bread, apple pie, etc. Let a pro handle the food.

My 2 cents is, next year, let Dave of the Duke's do a big BBQ with chicken, ribs, corn on the cob, Lateefe's baked beans, potato salad, corn bread, apple pie, etc. Let a pro handle the food.

Coors?

That has to be the worst if not the worst of the worst.

They might as well have been serving Taco Bell burritos!

That is " Shock Horror" :)

If I remember correctly, Coors in a bottle is much like Heineken. It was really trendy on the East Coast when I was a youngster because it could not be imported legally.

Anyway, I only like beer in bottles, so I stuck to other beers.

Edited by Ulysses G.

<deleted> etc

The CM forum has NO food related topics on page one at all! Has everyone died and gone to food heaven,

or all to busy out and about eating?

Initially thought this could be due to 'The Dukes' being a new sponsor, but 'Meals on Wheels' are also a sponsor and deliver from a whole host of restaurants, which I therefore assume we can mention?

So here goes, Mrs and I had a great curry delivered from Hinlay last night and the baby had a kids meal from The Dukes! Great delivery from 2 restaurants and both meels still hot. Well done Meals on Wheels.

I shall be visiting Chiang Mai in November. Does anyone know where I can get a decent burger? :)

I don't eat meat myself, but several of the guys had burgers last night at the Guitarman and were impressed - certainly look well filled to me.

Hi Iainiain101,

Hope the Faal was hot enough.

Just to let everyone know, we have added a few more restaurants to our site for delivery including Hinlay, Asahi, Pinky's, Da Mattia, Lemongrass and Tianzi Asia. We will also have the new Spanky's menu once they are open.

Sadly Joe Jet's closed down last week but I think Alan may be back with some new ideas.

We now have a large range of products on our Mini Mart which we are always adding to.

If anyone has any suggestions or preferences of particular restaurants or other products (Minimart) to add on to our site please let me know.

Cheers

If anyone has any suggestions or preferences of particular restaurants or other products (Minimart) to add on to our site please let me know.

Cheers

Not sure if this would be worth it for you, but have you considered adding any kinds of fresh coffees, juice bar, smoothies to your list? Maybe a local cafe for coffee and cake?

Also, what about Khun Churn as an alternative restaurant in your veggie restaurant list?

Initially thought this could be due to 'The Dukes' being a new sponsor, but 'Meals on Wheels' are also a sponsor and deliver from a whole host of restaurants, which I therefore assume we can mention?

So here goes, Mrs and I had a great curry delivered from Hinlay last night and the baby had a kids meal from The Dukes! Great delivery from 2 restaurants and both meels still hot. Well done Meals on Wheels.

How is Hinlay's on the 'grease factor'?

I ordered via MOW food from Star of India, totally inedible and the contents of the bags were half 'something' and half grease. :)

How is Hinlay's on the 'grease factor'?

I ordered via MOW food from Star of India, totally inedible and the contents of the bags were half 'something' and half grease. :)

Hinlay is the best curry I have had in Chiang Mai. No 'grease' problem, and we had lunch there Friday, take away yesterday.

Iain

on the burger question, i rode past joe jets the other day and was sad to see it had closed. not entirely surprising though i think.

That's sad to hear although not surprising. Every time we were there, we were the only customers. I had really hoped that they would make it. I thought the food was really good and the staff and the owner were very friendly.

I was really looking forward to an 'all American burger' which needs no introductions and was almost depressed that no-one had set up a stall selling the above. Silly me for thinking there was one in Chiang Mai in the first place! Yes, I know Mc D was there, however...

However the closest thing to prozac came in the form of 'Ridgely's (spelling sorry?) rack of ribs. Succulent, falling off the bone (nearly) with a delicious BBQ sauce. Apparently they're on the road to Sansai, off the Doi Saket road. Is the rack of ribs a regular menu item there and has anyone got any feedback about the place.

Regards Bojo

Hey Eek,

We are adding a few bits on including coffee but the only problem we have with delivering hot drinks is the containers which they are put in.

Cakes are also coming soon, we will have a small cake shop box with 1 or 2 shops available.

Re Khun Churn I spoke to the owner before but they never got back to me. Maybe time to bug them again.

rrose070

I would like to add Daret's Khao Soy Gai (or as mentioned before anything you guys like) on but please help as I don't know where they are.

Hmm maybe ould skip the hot coffees for now and do ice coffee, frappes, fruit shakes, fruit drinks? :)

Also, I didnt notice any fresh fruit and salad bars. Maybe that isnt viable for you, but healthier and lighter food options would be great to see.

Tnx. :D

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody have a clue why when you click the banner of the new TV food " no games" sponsor you get a CM mail reveiw that is over 4 years old? This seems bogus since the PRICES are not real? does anybody know if you go to this place to eat do they honor what this banner now advertises what it says when you click it? the TV team needs to get it together with their adverts.They seem to be uite capable of moderating this site. Sure the regulars ex pats know this is not a true add with real prices but think about the thousands of tourist that click this advert banner look at it and think it is true since it is on TV.

an interesting note is to see how much the prices have been upped in last 4 years. need to use a newer CM mail review . most good CM restaurants get one a each year or so it seems.

does anybody have a clue why when you click the banner of the new TV food " no games" sponsor you get a CM mail reveiw that is over 4 years old? This seems bogus since the PRICES are not real? does anybody know if you go to this place to eat do they honor what this banner now advertises what it says when you click it? the TV team needs to get it together with their adverts.They seem to be uite capable of moderating this site. Sure the regulars ex pats know this is not a true add with real prices but think about the thousands of tourist that click this advert banner look at it and think it is true since it is on TV.

an interesting note is to see how much the prices have been upped in last 4 years. need to use a newer CM mail review . most good CM restaurants get one a each year or so it seems.

Got to agree with gatorhead, Ithought the same when I clicked on the link I thought the Dukes good do better than that, I still think there food is great but they get a 0 out fo 10 for the website :)

The question is:

If they are advertising those prices now, will they honour them if you visit the restaurant now?