If You Had A Chance To Do It Again!

Royspurs

Now you break down the vehicle costs I understand how you get the sum.........ouch. :)

Totally agree with schools. It is tricky and one would be hoping to do ones best for the little ones ,,I have two.

The eldest ( now 8 ) was in an international school in Singapore for 4 years, and having priced both countries private schools, they are almost the same price. To give them the best start in life , you really would have to be looking to go private ( in Thailand). And its NOT cheap.

At the end of the day, the number 1 priority for the family , is to be happy. Thats all. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you break down the vehicle costs I understand how you get the sum.........ouch. :)

Totally agree with schools. It is tricky and one would be hoping to do ones best for the little ones ,,I have two.

The eldest ( now 8 ) was in an international school in Singapore for 4 years, and having priced both countries private schools, they are almost the same price. To give them the best start in life , you really would have to be looking to go private ( in Thailand). And its NOT cheap.

At the end of the day, the number 1 priority for the family , is to be happy. Thats all. :D

Soihok,

have you considered doing some of the educating yourself?? I was around many families in remote Oz that home schooled with great results, in fact when they went back mainstream schooling they were ahead and have all now completed uni. The school system sends you the lessons and does the marking at exam time, something to consider. The kids also grow up without the peer presure and you get to reward them for life smarts not just academic smarts..........................just like life will

Kind Regards Roy

Thanks for the suggestion Roy, its sounds a good idea.

It would certainly be worth looking into.

With regards to my personel position, at 44 I,m too young to step away from the business I,m in ,that brings in the cash,,.

This can take me anywhere in the world, and I do my best to keep the family together and we go together, not ideal but better than us splitting up ,,,which is a last resort. Actually ,,having to return to the UK is the last chicken in the shop,,it took me an age to get out the place.

I think your suggestion is a valid alternative to mega bucks schools.

Cheers.

If i had it to do over again was your question, would give everything away in the states and not even bring a suit case with me.

All the clothing I need I can have made and at a good price, i do not wear shoes so my XXX are not required,

I burned up all my electrical item i carred over the voltage regulators from Radio Shack are no good for your good tooth brush. I am amazed that people have been able to use electrical things from the States, I must have done something wrong. My daughter was here for a visit last month and while we were at a nice hotel in BKK with the electrical outlet marked 110 her sonic tooth brush died. Whith an expensive voltage regulator her electrical hair thing burned up.

I have discovered in LOS to avoid items made in China same problem in Walmart they suck and do not last.

if any thing I miss some of the food stuff I can not find, i believe everything is available here if u can find it.

I find LOS to be very different but thats ok I still love it here!

OP, congratulations on early retirement!!!

I think it's OK to have kids at 50 years old if you honestly believe you'll last at least another 20 years. While we can't accurately speculate life expectancy, how long your dad and grandpa's lived is a good indicator as well as comparing how healthy your lifestyle to theirs. For example, my dad passed on at 56, one grandpa at 42, and the other at 54; all of heart disease, but all smoked heavily, drank often, were fat, ate a high fat fried foods diet based on hydrogenated oil, didn't exercise, and worked with industrial chemicals like freon. Me, I don't live like them nor fat, but I'm shooting for a modest 60 years old. This means if I'm going to have kids, I need to have them by 40. Many other people can easily last to 70 to 100 years old, even some smokers and drinkers who never exercise nor watch their diet as it's their genetics support that. I've known people to have kids in their 50's and it does require healthy people with a strong constitution for longevity so it's fine if you naturally can pull it off.

It might be better for the kids if you have built up a tidy fortune instead of having them young when you're broke. Too many people struggle financially by having them too early and then are handicapped to never realize anything close to their potential in career and lifestyle. As for a village, that doesn't sound good as it's most likely lacking services, infrastructure, diversity, childhood education, activities for the kids, socializing opportunities for you and kids, as well as shopping and entertainment options. Living in small town rural areas is best left for locals who stay their entire lives there. Who wants to be on the bus or train significant amounts of time regularly? While I haven't lived in a rural Thai village, I know all too well how restricting it is to live in tiny rural towns where it can take anywhere from 3 to 10 hours to get to the city offering golf, Western food, shopping, medical services, high speed internet, a developed school with adequate resources, and anything else a person could want and need, but fresh air. You might consider the edge of a major town or city and then visit her family in the village whenever you like. You want golf course, mall, restaurants, Western bars, hospital, a school with capacity to have necessary resources for your kids, etc. And your very own yard with coconut palms, green grass, and a dog. :) Me, I'd also want a small lake teaming with big fish.

Just some considerations. If I can ever be worth 1 million or more dollars, I'm going to forget about searching for and working jobs as I'll work for myself trading securities at night via the internet in that case.

Edited by RobotTeacher

yep, I pulled the plug at 50. Had a gutful.

The Christian work ethic? Another great mass con job.

And there is talk all over the developed countries of the world of upping the retirement and pension ages.

Go and get nicked!

I'm about as happy now as i ever want to be.

To quote and old boss of yours. The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself!

OP, congratulations on early retirement!!!

I think it's OK to have kids at 50 years old if you honestly believe you'll last at least another 20 years. While we can't accurately speculate life expectancy, how long your dad and grandpa's lived is a good indicator as well as comparing how healthy your lifestyle to theirs. For example, my dad passed on at 56, one grandpa at 42, and the other at 54; all of heart disease, but all smoked heavily, drank often, were fat, ate a high fat fried foods diet based on hydrogenated oil, didn't exercise, and worked with industrial chemicals like freon. Me, I don't live like them nor fat, but I'm shooting for a modest 60 years old. This means if I'm going to have kids, I need to have them by 40. Many other people can easily last to 70 to 100 years old, even some smokers and drinkers who never exercise nor watch their diet as it's their genetics support that. I've known people to have kids in their 50's and it does require healthy people with a strong constitution for longevity so it's fine if you naturally can pull it off.

It might be better for the kids if you have built up a tidy fortune instead of having them young when you're broke. Too many people struggle financially by having them too early and then are handicapped to never realize anything close to their potential in career and lifestyle. As for a village, that doesn't sound good as it's most likely lacking services, infrastructure, diversity, childhood education, activities for the kids, socializing opportunities for you and kids, as well as shopping and entertainment options. Living in small town rural areas is best left for locals who stay their entire lives there. Who wants to be on the bus or train significant amounts of time regularly? While I haven't lived in a rural Thai village, I know all too well how restricting it is to live in tiny rural towns where it can take anywhere from 3 to 10 hours to get to the city offering golf, Western food, shopping, medical services, high speed internet, a developed school with adequate resources, and anything else a person could want and need, but fresh air. You might consider the edge of a major town or city and then visit her family in the village whenever you like. You want golf course, mall, restaurants, Western bars, hospital, a school with capacity to have necessary resources for your kids, etc. And your very own yard with coconut palms, green grass, and a dog. :) Me, I'd also want a small lake teaming with big fish.

Just some considerations. If I can ever be worth 1 million or more dollars, I'm going to forget about searching for and working jobs as I'll work for myself trading securities at night via the internet in that case.

RobotTeacher

My house position is perfect for me, 20 mins to city Sakon Nakhon with many facilities, its 1 miles outside the village on acres, perfect distance to enjoy the village and retreat.

At 50 statistically I have as much chance of making 75 as a 25 yo has of making 50 and I dont smoke and do exercise everyday.

PS. the property has a small lake with medium fish!

thanks for the response mate

Roy

yep, I pulled the plug at 50. Had a gutful.

The Christian work ethic? Another great mass con job.

And there is talk all over the developed countries of the world of upping the retirement and pension ages.

Go and get nicked!

I'm about as happy now as i ever want to be.

To quote and old boss of yours. The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself!

cpofc,

my biggest dilema is I have a great job, but dont want to be away from family ..................................

Roy

Team Thailand,

I am 48 yo and looking at retiring to Thailand in approximately 2 years time. We are building a house in my wifes village (20km form Sakon Nakhon) which is almost complete.

I from England, lived in Oz for 17 years and am currently in the US and will be for the next 2 years, I share this as I have the opportunity to bring things from any of these countries or set things up here before I come toThailand.

We plan tohave children in 2 years also to coincide with living in Thailand full time, assuming I can hit the target!!

So, that is my situation, my Q is what would you have done differently, or what did you do that was really beneficial leading up to settling down in Thailand full time, eg: financially, what did you bring, what didnt you bring, did you come too soon, should you have come too earlier, etc.

I have 2 years to get things in order, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks Roy

I think you will be pretty bored as there are not many people your age in Issan they tend to be a lot older. Also are you not a bit old to bring children into this world as you will be not far off 70 when they leave school

Team Thailand,

I am 48 yo and looking at retiring to Thailand in approximately 2 years time. We are building a house in my wifes village (20km form Sakon Nakhon) which is almost complete.

I from England, lived in Oz for 17 years and am currently in the US and will be for the next 2 years, I share this as I have the opportunity to bring things from any of these countries or set things up here before I come toThailand.

We plan tohave children in 2 years also to coincide with living in Thailand full time, assuming I can hit the target!!

So, that is my situation, my Q is what would you have done differently, or what did you do that was really beneficial leading up to settling down in Thailand full time, eg: financially, what did you bring, what didnt you bring, did you come too soon, should you have come too earlier, etc.

Thanks Roy

I think you will be pretty bored as there are not many people your age in Issan they tend to be a lot older. Also are you not a bit old to bring children into this world as you will be not far off 70 when they leave school

Hello JMS

Too young for Sakon Nakhon too old for kids, I'm also 19 years older than my Thai wife, so too old there too, right? ..............just keeps getting worse! :)

Team Thailand,

Thanks Roy

Hello JMS

Too young for Sakon Nakhon too old for kids, I'm also 19 years older than my Thai wife, so too old there too, right? ..............just keeps getting worse! :)

Only my thoughts but if you want kids at your age crack on and as you say your wife is many years younger it seems many thai ladies prefer older farang men or is it their money

Roy,I retired 18 monthsago at 50 and upped and moved to Buriram and the biggest problem is BOREDOM.Golf on 3 days a week a bit of gardening.Living in a village where hardly no English is spoken so i go into Buriram to meet up with other expats just for the conversation but this tends to lead to drinking every time be ok if you are tea total.

I never though that i would become bored having lived in the country in England but if you come from a City or Large town i think it will be hard but if you don't give it a go you will always wonder what if!!!!!!!!!

Roy,I retired 18 monthsago at 50 and upped and moved to Buriram and the biggest problem is BOREDOM.Golf on 3 days a week a bit of gardening.Living in a village where hardly no English is spoken so i go into Buriram to meet up with other expats just for the conversation but this tends to lead to drinking every time be ok if you are tea total.

I never though that i would become bored having lived in the country in England but if you come from a City or Large town i think it will be hard but if you don't give it a go you will always wonder what if!!!!!!!!!

Hello Binnsy,

do you regret your decision to retire at 50? Or your choice of village lifestyle? given the time again would you have done anything differently?

Roy

Retired at 50? In what country can you retired at this age??? I come from Belgium, we must wait until we are 60-65 before the government pay us retirmend. So what are you guys doing? Eating your savings or pays de government in your country at this age?

Retired at 50? In what country can you retired at this age??? I come from Belgium, we must wait until we are 60-65 before the government pay us retirmend. So what are you guys doing? Eating your savings or pays de government in your country at this age?

You will find a mix of people that retired at 50. Many will be doing it on saving but in the US there are companies and government agencies that you can early retire at reduced and sometimes full benefits starting at age 50 depending on years of service.

I retired at 53 and have been living on money saved/investments from 30+ years of working. Based on my current and planned yearly spending these funds should last till I'm 80 but most likely will last much longer because I have pensions that kick in at age 62 and 65.

Perhaps I won't make it to 80 but you must have some kind of plan before you early retire.

Edited by ballbreaker

The company that i worked for in the UK has it own private pension scheme under its rules you can take Early Retirement from the age of 50.The only pitfall is that every year you lose 3.6% untill the age of 60 of your pension.

At ripe old age of 65 the UK goverment pension kicks in(if they still have money)

Do they not have company pensions in your country?

The company that i worked for in the UK has it own private pension scheme under its rules you can take Early Retirement from the age of 50.The only pitfall is that every year you lose 3.6% untill the age of 60 of your pension.

At ripe old age of 65 the UK goverment pension kicks in(if they still have money)

If you can retire at 50 with enough cash to last you until you die is not the problem. When you move to a village in the middle of nowhere is. What do you do with your time and will (generally no english contact/tv etc) your life become a bit boring

Also when you marry someone a lot younger there is a big difference in your likes and dislikes and then there is the culiure difference

So good luck you might need it

If you can retire at 50 with enough cash to last you until you die is not the problem. When you move to a village in the middle of nowhere is. What do you do with your time and will (generally no english contact/tv etc) your life become a bit boring

Also when you marry someone a lot younger there is a big difference in your likes and dislikes and then there is the culiure difference

Like Binnsy, I had a small private pension kick in at 50 and lived off savings for 2 years prior to that. At 65 a Dis-United Kingdon Government pension will start (hopefully)

I do not disagree with your thinking JMS but although I live in a small village, Surin city is only 8k away with plenty of everything most people would need.

I am very happy here compared to when in my homeland and have met more good friends over here. I believe life is what you make it, surround yourself with good, positive people and stay happy.

Planning is important for all life-changing decisions as much as choosing the right woman.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN? YES BUT QUICKER :)

Dave

Like Binnsy, I had a small private pension kick in at 50 and lived off savings for 2 years prior to that. At 65 a Dis-United Kingdon Government pension will start (hopefully)

I do not disagree with your thinking JMS but although I live in a small village, Surin city is only 8k away with plenty of everything most people would need.

I am very happy here compared to when in my homeland and have met more good friends over here. I believe life is what you make it, surround yourself with good, positive people and stay happy.

Planning is important for all life-changing decisions as much as choosing the right woman.

I am somewhere between Binnsy and Dave the Dude (partly because my background is in banking and I come from Suffolk !) - a redundancy package released some capital as did taking the company pension early at 52. I could have waited until age 65 and received GBP 38,000 a year. I took the hedonist view that I might not make it to 65 and I wanted to enjoy Thailand NOW.

I balance life by spending circa 7 months a year in Thailand (planned to increase in 2011 to 8 or 9 months) and 5 months in the UK where I have residual responsibilities to 2 daughters and a number of business interests (planned to supplement the early pension).

I agree entirely with Dave that planning is an important feature as far as the "bigger picture" is concerned. What I have thoroughly enjoyed (having had a lifetime of planning) is the slightly random nature of the Thais and their total inability to plan a p!ss up in a brewery. This leads to that enchanting, and sometimes slightly disconcerting, feeling whereby you think that you know where you are going but haven't got a bloody clue how you are going to get there. :)

I genuinely feel sorry for Binnsy if he has reached the boredom stage. That, of course, is also possible in the UK but I guess there is less of a feeling of isolation. Roy's question about regretting retiring at 50 or regretting the choice of location is a good one.

Yes we have. But they only pay from the age of 65. If we take or private pension earlier we have to pay 33% tax. They make it so dificult that this is not advisable.

The option i have think about is to rent my house and use my savings for a earlier retirement

Dave

Financially

I will be a self funded retiree with funds coming from a property portfolio in OZ. The return from this will afford my family a decent income in LOS and some savings, also, the properties will only gain in value so when I am not around anymore (in about 40 to 50 years time :D ) my wife and kids will enjoy a sustainable income also. An Australian (self funded) pension can be drawn down once you prove you are no longer working, but is taxed before 60, so wont touch that until then, and at my age my UK pension comes in at 66. To receive the full UK pension I am in the process of paying "catch up" national insurance contributions.

Personally

The right woman, is in my estimation, 95% of your happiness, so choose well and take good care of her, anyone out there that doesn’t realise yet that: a happy wife = happy life will always struggle. Whats important to a traditional Thai wife is her family, so take good care of them also, without being dominated by them (if they are that way inclined). My experience with my wife (and her family) is that the difference in cultures is a fantastic thing if you allow the 2 to compliment each other in your life together, I certainly learn so much from the Thai culture that enhances my life and we also benefit from western organisation, planning, logic, etc.

I've spent some time in a few Thai towns and a year on off in Buriram and years in Pattaya and I cannot get by with something as small as Buriram. I thought Surin could be different but looking at things in the cold light of day, it isn't big enough either. Pattaya, for all its faults, has enough and if you can pick where you live and have your own transport, then you get the best of rural / village life and town centre facilities.

Dave

I think if your home life is settled and you have the right partner then it makes life so much easier. Also, having a car or truck makes day to day life just so much more appealing and you can go where you want, irrespective of weather or distance. You need cash for that though, paid up front and then Bt200,000 a year.

Having a nice house is also a great settling point. Living in a small quasi temporary condo or living constantly wondering if the owner will sell your rented house out from under you is no way to live long term. Not such as issue in a big town due to massive supply but not easy to find a decent rental out in the sticks.

I wouldn't choose to live in the sticks. I'm a capital city man.

I am somewhere between Binnsy and Dave the Dude (partly because my background is in banking and I come from Suffolk !) - a redundancy package released some capital as did taking the company pension early at 52. I could have waited until age 65 and received GBP 38,000 a year. I took the hedonist view that I might not make it to 65 and I wanted to enjoy Thailand NOW.

I balance life by spending circa 7 months a year in Thailand (planned to increase in 2011 to 8 or 9 months) and 5 months in the UK where I have residual responsibilities to 2 daughters and a number of business interests (planned to supplement the early pension).

I agree entirely with Dave that planning is an important feature as far as the "bigger picture" is concerned. What I have thoroughly enjoyed (having had a lifetime of planning) is the slightly random nature of the Thais and their total inability to plan a p!ss up in a brewery. This leads to that enchanting, and sometimes slightly disconcerting, feeling whereby you think that you know where you are going but haven't got a bloody clue how you are going to get there. :)

I genuinely feel sorry for Binnsy if he has reached the boredom stage. That, of course, is also possible in the UK but I guess there is less of a feeling of isolation. Roy's question about regretting retiring at 50 or regretting the choice of location is a good one.

There is no need to feel sorry for me as i was BORED in the Uk and when i am bored here in Thailand

i know that i would rather be bored in Thailand than in the Uk.

If my avatar does not give you a clue but i also WAS BORN AND BRED IN SUFFOLK :D ,so it is not a case of not being aware of what rural life is like.

There is no need to feel sorry for me as i was BORED in the Uk and when i am bored here in Thailand

If my avatar does not give you a clue but i also WAS BORN AND BRED IN SUFFOLK :D ,so it is not a case of not being aware of what rural life is like.

Bored in Suffolk :)

Binnsy, you were lucky that you missed the Magilton management era - now, watching that WAS boring.

I suppose what you do now is a bit like going from Stowmarket to Ipswich or Felixstowe to get away from the retards :D

If I had it to do again I would change one thing........to not have lived in Pattaya for 7 months before I moved to Korat.

The mistake I made is when i came to Thailand for vacations (5 years before I retired here) I visited the main tourist areas and made friends with expats who lived in these areas. Then when I retired at age 58 (almost 4 years ago now) I moved to Pattaya with my girlfriend who I had met years earlier in Bangkok. The lifestyle is OK in Pattaya if you like bars and drinking and the cost of living is much higher.

For me Korat is the Paradise I was always looking for as it has everything I need. I now have a beautiful wife and lovely home. I have my golf which I play twice a week, I have a hobby which is restoring classic cars and I have a car I am working on. I have many friends in this area. In fact there are 7 Americans living in a 2 block radius of my home. I am a vet so I joined the local VFW post, now I am the commander of the post and we do alot of charity and community service work. So I am not bored. There are 2 excellent hospitals in town an important fact the older you get and medical costs are a lot cheaper in Korat than Bangkok or Pattaya. My friend down the block just had his gall bladder remover, spent 3 days in the hospital (one in ICU) and the total cost was 85,000 baht. In the States that would be one day in ICU let alone the doctors and operation fees.

It all depends on your needs (what makes you happy) and how you will acquire them once you move here. I am not a real material person so I sold everything I owned in the States and came to Thailand on a O-A visa and one suitcase. On the other extreme is a friend who lives down the street (the one without the gall bladder). He and his Thai wife (who both lived in the States) packed up their entire house, every piece of furniture, nic nack, tools, miniature trains (his hobby) in a shipping container and now have everything they had in the States including their 3 cats in their house here. We are both happy but we did it in 2 different ways.

If you have any specific questions please PM me.

Rokit

Bored in Suffolk :)

Binnsy, you were lucky that you missed the Magilton management era - now, watching that WAS boring.

I suppose what you do now is a bit like going from Stowmarket to Ipswich or Felixstowe to get away from the retards :D

Yes i missed Super Jim give it his best shot (which was way of target) but had many great days and nights watching the town in 78 cup final,the 4 games against Leeds,trips to Zebrugge to watch town at Feyenord and Bruges and later Helsinborg and Milan.The playoff game against Bolton was unbelievable (with a bit of help from the ref).I also remember the time when we got promoted to the old division one and them playing CONGRATULATIONS by Cilla Black.GREAT TIMES

Maybe Roy Keane will do a lot better this coming season.

I lived in Sudbury so for any good night life you had to go to Ipswich,Colchester or Chelmsford.

I lived in Sudbury so for any good night life you had to go to Ipswich,Colchester or Chelmsford.

Hey Binnsy

I used to cross the water and had many a wild time in Chelmsford too. Many loose wimmin.

Once got back home (in my 1300GT Escort) through the city&jumped ever red light in 35minutes to Mitcham. Those were the days

Dave(sorry offtopic)

I used to cross the water and had many a wild time in Chelmsford too. Many loose wimmin.

Hey Dave,

loose wimmin in Essex!!!??? are you sure that time isnt distorting your memory??

Roy (Canvey Island, equally off topic)