Poll: Farang Distribution In Isaan

Svenn

Where in Isaan do you live or own a home?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The voting appears to have slowed down at around 150 votes, so I'm thinking it's time to summarize.

Obviously Buriram has the largest number of thaivisa voters, more than twice the runner up, Khon Kaen. Central to southeast Isaan seems pretty desolate, Yasothon and Amnat Charoen getting no votes as of yet, but Ubon having a place at 3rd.

So is Buriram as populated as the poll shows? Does like every village have a few farangs in it?

farangisaandist.jpg

Interesting responses so far, I'm surprised Buriram is so far ahead as of now,... Why are there so many farangs in that area? Is it really because the locals there have more khmer-attributes like darker skin that appeal to westerners? or maybe it's the poorest part of Isaan and thus gets the most ambitious girls?

I don't know about the most ambitious... I do know that during my years in the Jomtien/Pattaya area, '99-'05. Seven out of ten girls I would meet, said they came from Buriram when asked.

Funny - I was just going to write the same, based on entiurely unscientific observations in Pattaya and BKK over the last 4 years. Maybe 40% said they came from Buriram and some P bars are entirely staffed by Buriram lasses. The most common places after that seemed to be Korat, Udon and Ubon in that order. I always wondered why Buriram stood out too.

Edited by SantiSuk

There a quite a few in the Nong Khai area. In my village just a dozen odd km south of the city proper are maybe 10 on either side of the Highway 2. Nong Khai is always crawling with white devils, nothing to do with the bridge and the immigration office I am sure. :)

Just moved to Sisaket town and rented a house here.

heard a rumor that there were 2000 falangs in the province of Sisaket

I've been kicking around here for close to 8 years now.. 2000 actual expats living here is IMHO an impossibly bloated figure, 100's yes, 1000's no. 2000 farang tourists per year sounds about right though.

I've been kicking around here for close to 8 years now.. 2000 actual expats living here is IMHO an impossibly bloated figure, 100's yes, 1000's no. 2000 farang tourists per year sounds about right though.

OK just what I heard it was the entire province of Sisaket not the town of Sisaket.

Going around the town for first couple of weeks here I've seen less than 10.

Don't know if you can translate the word"census" in Thai.

IMHO a census of the farangs living permanently or part-time in Thailand would be very easy,cheap and accurate.(80%?)

Maybe the Thais are not interested,or...........

A general census would be,in my opinion,useful too,but this being Thailand,not a priority. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as if this TV demographic poll is quite true to where Farang are distributed throughout Isaan. Easily suspect that Buriram, Khon Kaen, and Udon are the leaders.........like the idea of a low count in Surin and Sisaket :) . Probably in the last 10 years, Buriram/Korat have a boom where where there was a nominal population in years past.

Interesting responses so far, I'm surprised Buriram is so far ahead as of now,... Why are there so many farangs in that area? Is it really because the locals there have more khmer-attributes like darker skin that appeal to westerners? or maybe it's the poorest part of Isaan and thus gets the most ambitious girls?

I don't know about the most ambitious... I do know that during my years in the Jomtien/Pattaya area, '99-'05. Seven out of ten girls I would meet, said they came from Buriram when asked.

Yes, most hookers come from Surin/Buriram.

I beg your pardon? Only good girls in Surin.... :)

Living in Ubon for about 8 years now. My first year here I saw very few fellow expats. The best place to see locals is at Tesco/Lotus, Wrong Way, N-Joy and now Pepper's, and coming soon Spago's.

I think many of the expats living here in Ubon are like snipers. You know they are here but seldom see them. Maybe the best way to know actual numbers is to somehow get ahold of Immigration statics for each province.

I think Ubon is somewhere around the middle as far as expats goes. Even some of the smaller provinces have a greater population.

Been here, Khao Yai, (Nak. Rach.) 6 years now. Many farang here. Mostly Bangkok weekenders.

When I first came, it was the Boonies. Looks like a suburb now. :) and growing fast....."What recession"?

Buffalo Bill. Was that you in Pak Chong, Tesco car park?

Regards.

Rumours only. Perhaps in Surin....but not Sisaket. Has it's advantages living down here in the middle of nowhere. The further one gets from the population centre..... :)

Edited by zzaa09

husband's land (our future shack) in sung seong korat; there is an austrian that i met (he didnt like me offering him rambutans and harumphed at me, his wife was pleasant, we were in konburi doing the land office stuff) ; a dutch guy part time (met the wife and child-- wife left child in care of my cousin in law while wife was running around doing what running around wives do much to the disapproval of my mother in law)and i think a norvegian has a food place on the road somewhere; was a german guy who raised goats but whole family since left; i was the only woman as far as i could see , some other farang guy in a stone house in side the park area by the dam off the road from our village... most of these guys seem to spend most of the time indoors in the air conditioning or are part timers and werent there when i was... korat must have foriegners of course but i was never where most would probably be... oh, saw a few white faces here and there on the bus from sung seong to korat getting on/off various villages, they ignored me. but then again, i am petite, and dress fairly thai bannork so not really noticeable. and i avoided the mall like the plague. i hate shopping and malls.

bina

israel

• 1 year later...
Hey bufaloe

I was stationed at Ubon from '73-'74 and Udorn from '68-'69 and now live in Det Udom, 40k south of Ubon Ratchatani. Been here for 2 years now. I have an American friend. living in Ban Nong Yau, that was at Ubon in '72 and has been here 7+ years. We are both retired Air Force.

I live about 25K outside of Det Udom towards Bangkok. As I do not know any other Farang in the area I would be interested in maybe meeting up for a beer sometime. Pls PM me if you are interested

How do ?

I live in Nadee , about 12 KM south of Det Udom . I like beer and idle banter on occasion .

Hey bufaloe

I was stationed at Ubon from '73-'74 and Udorn from '68-'69 and now live in Det Udom, 40k south of Ubon Ratchatani. Been here for 2 years now. I have an American friend. living in Ban Nong Yau, that was at Ubon in '72 and has been here 7+ years. We are both retired Air Force.

I live about 25K outside of Det Udom towards Bangkok. As I do not know any other Farang in the area I would be interested in maybe meeting up for a beer sometime. Pls PM me if you are interested

How do ?

I live in Nadee , about 12 KM south of Det Udom . I like beer and idle banter on occasion .

Hi there Luke we go to Det shopping [tesco]hate the place. Anyway love beer could meet some where for a beer while the wife shops. Jim

Hey bufaloe

How do ?

Hi there Luke we go to Det shopping [tesco]hate the place. Anyway love beer could meet some where for a beer while the wife shops. Jim

Welcom Luke sending you a PM :welcomeani: