Where Am I Tax Liable?

Maybe there is no set rules, and maybe very different from country to country.

I am a Danish citizen, living in Thailand. I'm trying to find out how to optimize my investments, and therefore have some tax questions.

Am I tax liable in Thailand, for interest gained from bank accounts?

What if I bonds through my Thai bank?

If I open a bank account in say Hong Kong, and start trading equities, to which country would I have to pay tax?

And with all that being asked, any recommendation for what setup (what bank/country/trading platform etc) would be mosty profitable?

I am a Danish citizen, living in Thailand. I'm trying to find out how to optimize my investments, and therefore have some tax questions.

If I open a bank account in say Hong Kong, and start trading equities, to which country would I have to pay tax?

And with all that being asked, any recommendation for what setup (what bank/country/trading platform etc) would be mosty profitable?

You don't pay taxes in hongkong if you don't live longer than 6 months of the year,

The bank may not accept your HK dollar account unless you make arrangement with say Company Secretariat Services.

Thenagain, the taxation is different for different markets you want to trade in.

So, you're from the EU.

If you don't want to be tax liable at all, you keep your danish passport, go to your local office in Danmark, cancel your Denmark adress, don't have any income in Denmark any more, don't have assets there, don't stay longer then half a year plus one day in Denmark a year, open a bank account in, for example, Liechtenstein, stay in Thailand and don't have income in Thailand, then you are, at the moment, tax free everywhere.

Many expats make mistakes about their taxes.

You need to investigate the current status of tax treaties set up between the various countries you have mentioned. Although, having no direct experience with the Danish system, perhaps you should start with the body responsible in Denmark for collecting taxes. Some people live outside their home country for a short period or due to one reason or another are still considered residents of their home country.

You may be surprised what cateogry you fall into. There is more to being a non resident than simply declaring that you live somewhere.

Sorry this is vague, but there are many variables.

I believe that as long as you stay out of Denmark (not more than 6 months a year and while there dont work) you should safe of not paying there. Correctly if Im wrong but Denmark got the highest taxation in the world (my own country Finland comes 2nd).

I had my own fight with Finnish tax office after moving here but thats all cool now. There is also one small island in Malesia where you can register tax free company and run your business there might be worth checking out. If you want to know more pm me and ill send you details.

So, you're from the EU.

If you don't want to be tax liable at all, you keep your danish passport, go to your local office in Danmark, cancel your Denmark adress, don't have any income in Denmark any more, don't have assets there, don't stay longer then half a year plus one day in Denmark a year, open a bank account in, for example, Liechtenstein, stay in Thailand and don't have income in Thailand, then you are, at the moment, tax free everywhere.

Would I be doing anything illegal in doing so?