Mozilla Firefox Problems

Thetyim

Anyone else got a problem with Firefox V1.0 ?

V0.9.3 runs just fine but V1.0 keeps freezing after about 5 minutes.

Then with all browswer windows closed Firefox is still running as a process

System AMD 2600+ Windows XP Pro

Any suggestions other than stay with V0.9.3

I had firefox hang a few times, and also was irritated by lots of it's little quirks, as well as the lousy layout. On Jonboy's recommendation I tried Maxthon - by far the best browser I have yet tired. Granted it runs on the IE engine, but has so many added features that it seems totally different. A nice feature is that the favourites all go into the standard Favourites folder and so will appear if you use regular IE. The bookmarks to favourites app that I applied to firefox not only didn't work, it deleted most of my favourites too.

Maxthon has tabbed browsing too, but can also run the google toolbar that allows highlighting of searched for words and other things that firefox google serch does not. Also has a handy little button for choosing to open all new links in new tabs (on/off) so you go to your front page of a newspaper and open links in tabs behind the one you are viewing. All the toolbars are drag and drop, and there are lots of nice skins available for it. Is better all round IMO.

I'm using it on two systems running windows2000 with an AMD and a celeron chip in either one and no problems at all yet. My only complaint is that the plugins don't install very easily.

I'd run a decent registry cleaner and then see how it is. Sometimes registries get buggered a bit during upgrades.

cv

oh, and another thing, maybe I had it set up wrongly, but Sandra diagnostic app told me that forefox uses a massive amount of ram and should be immediately shut down. I had been finding that things got horribly slow if using firefox with other apps running in the background.

hijackers and malware? eek!

can't say I ever had a problem with IE. But anyway, Maxthon has its own javascript controllers, spyware and adwatch, popupstoppers etc.. so you may not find it to be a problem. Worth trying though. I know that Avant, another IE based browser, eliminated a lot fo the IE problems, and I found Maxthon to be far better than Avant (and has tabbed browsing) Give it a go and let us know.

Anyone else got a problem with Firefox V1.0  ?

V0.9.3  runs just fine but V1.0 keeps freezing  after about 5 minutes.

Then with all browswer windows closed Firefox is still running as a process

System  AMD 2600+  Windows XP Pro

Any suggestions  other than stay with V0.9.3

Sorry to hear that Thetyim - especially as I've got my FF running sweet as a nut now.

I've never had a freezing problem and I'm running on a Pentium III 500 MHz with only 256 MB RAM on XP Pro.

You could try posting a question on the FF forum here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4

...run the google toolbar that allows highlighting of searched for words and other things that firefox google serch does not.

Like this?: :o

ffsearch20md.jpg

...Also has a handy little button for choosing to open all new links in new tabs (on/off) so you go to your front page of a newspaper and open links in tabs behind the one you are viewing....

Like this?: :D

fflinks21tq.jpg

but Sandra diagnostic app told me that forefox uses a massive amount of ram and should be immediately shut down.
This has been a problem with Firefox for some time. Often minimising the window will free up some RAM, otherwise there are plenty of free programs out there that can be set to free memory if you are using too much. It's actually possible to open a heap of tabs and get the memory usage up to 1GB :o Since l upgraded to 512 RAM l've found l have few problems with Firefox using up too much memory.

Maxthon is okay, l use either that or Avant as my IE based browser with tabs, however if anyone thinks they are better than Firefox then to me that indicates you haven't looked into all the extensions that are available for Firefox. There is usually an extension for just about everything. You can customise your browser to within an inch of its life. :D

V0.9.3 runs just fine but V1.0 keeps freezing after about 5 minutes.

I wonder if all the extensions you are using are suitable for 1.0. When 1.0 came out l had some big problems with a couple of extensions like Spellbound which weren't and would crash the browser. Btw, if you're using Spellbound or Ad-Block you should check you have them set up correctly. Also Tab Browser extension causes a lot of conflict and while a good idea isn't worth the hassle imo.

You would think that you shouldn't be able to install extensions that weren't updated to work with the latest version but that's what happened to me. I ended up deleting everything, downloading the latest MOOX optimised build and haven't had any problems since.

It does happen sometime that Firefox doesn't close down properly. If you have your PC always on then check using Task Manager that Firefox has indeed closed completely.

Not sure about the bookmarks problem. Possibly a profile problem, maybe you need to delete all old profiles and create a new one.

There are extensions to run a Google toolbar and now there is also an official Yahoo! toolbar available. Almost anything you can do with Maxthon you can do with Firefox, plus much more if you take the time to look for the right extension. Don't just look at the Mozilla site. That has maybe 200 extensions, but there are maybe 500 extensions available, many that don't get listed on the Mozilla site but work all the same.

RDN - you seem to have gotten the toolbar quite nice - that was one of the main things I hated about FF. Should have looked into it further perhaps. The On/Off links in new tabs however is a handy one click button in maxthon, as is the pop up stopper. I found several of the FF extensions did not work, or screwed up the program, so I gave up trying to customise. I use W2K which might (unlikely) have something to do with it. So maybe I have been a bit hard on FF, but anyway, Maxthon works so nicely for me that I've no motivation to try FF again for a while.

One of the other things it did was not show me the progress of Downloading files. Then when finished a little bar popped up at the bottom, which when clicked popped up a download manager which needed clicking to clear, and another click to close. Annoying. I guess all that is customisable too though. It's just that Maxthon was layed out pretty much as I wanted automatically, and options were easier to navigate (perhaps 'cos I'm used to explorer). And there are some nice skins for it too.

Edited by pandit35

RDN - you seem to have gotten the toolbar quite nice - that was one of the main things I hated about FF. Should have looked into it further perhaps. The On/Off links in new tabs however is a handy one click button in maxthon, as is the pop up stopper.

I've got the "Compact menu" extension which allows me to reorganize the menu options on the menu bar so that I have more horizontal space to add buttons or other options.

I found several of the FF extensions did not work, or screwed up the program, so I gave up trying to customise. I use W2K which might (unlikely) have something to do with it. So maybe I have been a bit hard on FF, but anyway, Maxthon works so nicely for me that I've no motivation to try FF again for a while.

I had a few problems when I started, too, but now I go for the extensions that are tried and tested - there are a few that appear on people's web sites that may be "dodgy" and it was certainly a problem just after 1.0 came out, because a lot of the authors hadn't reworked their extensions.

I did try Maxthon a few months ago, but I too didn't really have the motivation to change. Firefox is still fun and interesting for me at the moment, and I don't really want to go on another learning curve with Maxthon

One of the other things it did was not show me the progress of Downloading files. Then when finished a little bar popped up at the bottom, which when clicked popped up a download manager which needed clicking to clear, and another click to close. Annoying. I guess all that is customisable too though.

Yes, I went through loads of different download extensions, tweakers and managers. I can't remember what I have now but, while downloading, a pop-up window appears, shows the progress bar and then disappear when it's all done - but it took a while to customise it just how I wanted it.

It's just that Maxthon was layed out pretty much as I wanted automatically, and options were easier to navigate (perhaps 'cos I'm used to explorer). And there are some nice skins for it too.

The main things is, you've tried the other browsers and made your choice. I just hope other PC users give Firefox or Maxthon a try, because they really don't know what they're missing :o:D

good post rdn. I was trying FF days after it came out, so that's likely why many extensions did not work. Seems it does need a bit of tweaking to get just how you want it. The RAM issue was quite big for me too - it seemed to slow things down when I was using other ram heavy programs such as bit torrent or photoshop. I have 256 mb of ram which is probably not a lot with todays coms.

Anyway, you are also right in that both maxthon and firefox are massive improvements over IE and I think no one that has tried either, will want to go back to regular IE.

It doesn't block that assistant for me, but then again Thunderbird doesn't filter my email most times either.

For all the hoohaa about how great open source is, Mozilla doesn't make much of a case in favour of it. Still better than Internet Exploder imo, but need alot more debugging. Ever use Mozilla's html editor? bugzilla!

cv

The only problem I've had with Firefox is in this forum.  When I click on "My Assistant" all it does is open another window with the same screen.

You need to allow popups from thaivisa.com, as the assistant is a pop up.

Thanks, George...I'll try that when I get home. But now I'm at work and limited to Mr. Gates's stuff. :o

The only problem I've had with Firefox is in this forum.  When I click on "My Assistant" all it does is open another window with the same screen.

You need to allow popups from thaivisa.com, as the assistant is a pop up.

Thanks, George...I'll try that when I get home. But now I'm at work and limited to Mr. Gates's stuff. :o

I had this problem too, a long time ago, and for me it was because I had the "Adblock" extension and had erroneously blocked "http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/jscripts/ipb_global.js".