Kingpower Talks Back!

Oneman

Recent incidents at Bangkok airport, brought hundreds -- literally hundreds -- of posts on this forum, raining cries of "SCAM" down on KingPower.

KingPower has now answered, on the web, with CCTV video clips, along with detailed explanations of two events.

KP's video evidence is so strong, that it deserves to be highlighted on it's own topic thread.

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case2.html#

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case1.html#

I acknowledge http://2bangkok.com/ for their post on this matter.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

.post-42045-1246975882_thumb.png

Edited by Oneman

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really don't see why this should deserve it's own topic since the video and the explanation has been showed AND discussed into great detail at the main topic.

It's also not the point; the point is -guilty or not guilty- the extortion of enormous amounts of money from the people involved, apart from the fact that they were kept against their will, missed their plane and the amounts are not proportionate to the products involved, whether KP is/was involved or not.

The cases are absurd and would create ENORMOUS bad publicity for the shop owners and (airport/police) staff in every other major airport in the world.

It's very bad publicity -again- for Thailand. :)

LaoPo

I hate to be a cynic (actually I don't as it comes naturally) but the staff "noticed a wallet missing"..... from a stand full of wallets.

AFAIAC, everything KP say now is just pure back-peddling

//edit/typo

Edited by Boo
removed libleous part of post

The British couple looked a bit iffy as they were actively browsing for goods

The second one could be a genuine mistake lots of hustle bustle at the till and airports are stressful it could be an easy mistake.

Last time i flew back to blighty the till reciept i was given with the passport details name etc for my duty free was for the customer in front of me and nothing to do with what i had bought i didn't realise this until i was passing through customs and gave them the bag and reciept..nothing happened as i started to explain and they just looked like <deleted> is he on about..so i just closed my mouth.

Power to cctv now if they could install cctv on farangs heads that would save alot of mixups......

I think it deserves its own thread, Kingpower had accusations made against them and they have the right to clear them up.

The video clearly shows the Chinese lady stealing the wallet, no bones about it, no hesitation - she clearly knew what she was doing. She got caught this time and luckily for them they were able to pay a bribe to clear the legal system. The alternative would have likely been prison, seems like a cheap lesson to me. The couple have been shown for what they are now, thieves AND liars, I personally have no sympathy for them.

Its daft to steal when you are in another country, dafter when in a developing country, dafter still to do it at an airport and crazy to continue to kick up a fuss about it when you get home, knowing you are guilty.

It's much much safer for these extortionists to pick on people who've really done something wrong. But do you really believe that if your old Mum goes in there, there's no chance she's going to be charged for 2 items on her credit card instead of 3, or given a 'freebie' that turns out expensive?

Fair enough, the videos will lose a lot of the sympathy for these people. But you have to be extremely naive if you don't think people ever get set up for this kind of thing. And I'd be happier to see these people dealt with through due process than lining people's pockets to get away with it. Isn't that something we always complain about on here? Moo Ham and the like?

Also, the British embassy wouldn't have issued any kind of advisory if they didn't think there was something going on.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

It's much much safer for these extortionists to pick on people who've really done something wrong. But do you really believe that if your old Mum goes in there, there's no chance she's going to be charged for 2 items on her credit card instead of 3, or given a 'freebie' that turns out expensive?

Fair enough, the videos will lose a lot of the sympathy for these people. But you have to be extremely naive if you don't think people ever get set up for this kind of thing. The British embassy wouldn't have issued any kind of advisory if they didn't think there was something going on.

Well there have been two cases which people have said they were setup and people have been discussing, both turned out to be them stealing things and lying about it later. Are there other cases that I haven't heard about, or just hearsay and rumour? Had the British embassy previously seen this video?

The footage isnt exactly like watching a Plasma screen so im probably wrong, but didnt she take the wallet round to the opposite side of the stand and leave it there.

No,she took it to the other side to flaw the attention.After a few seconds she put it in her bag and leaves immediately.

Edited by basjke

The footage isnt exactly like watching a Plasma screen so im probably wrong, but didnt she take the wallet round to the opposite side of the stand and leave it there.

She puts it down on the 2nd shelf, opens her bag and puts it in, its really very obvious.

I really don't see why this should deserve it's own topic since the video and the explanation has been showed AND discussed into great detail at the main topic.

It's also not the point; the point is -guilty or not guilty- the extortion of enormous amounts of money from the people involved, apart from the fact that they were kept against their will, missed their plane and the amounts are not proportionate to the products involved, whether KP is/was involved or not.

The cases are absurd and would create ENORMOUS bad publicity for the shop owners and (airport/police) staff in every other major airport in the world.

LaoPo

That is exactly the point LaoPo, but maybe King Power are trying to distance themselves from the Police action?

Cheers, Rick

She puts it down on the 2nd shelf, opens her bag and puts it in, its really very obvious.

Ah yes i see.

These educated professionals must just do it for the buzz ..... Silly girl!

LaoPo

Very bad publicity for thieves thinking of coming here for sure! Surely sending them to prison for years would be worse, because if a judge saw this video then they would have been found guilty.

Very bad publicity for thieves thinking of coming here for sure! Surely sending them to prison for years would be worse, because if a judge saw this video then they would have been found guilty.

Exactly why it works.

wow, so who are the scammers now?

looks well rehearsed to me too. That wasn't just being opportunistic.

they are both lucky they aren't doing hard time. They got off light the bastards.

I can't stand thieves.

It's much much safer for these extortionists to pick on people who've really done something wrong.

Yes, it actually is. And the main point here is they REALLY did something wrong.

But do you really believe that if your old Mum goes in there, there's no chance she's going to be charged for 2 items on her credit card instead of 3, or given a 'freebie' that turns out expensive?

That's very different ! Heavy sales tactic, maybe. Extortion , definitively no !

Too many people believe Thailand is a third world country where they can do as they please, and if they get caught, should get away with a slap on the wrist. Sorry, wrong !

From Lao Pao "The point is -guilty or not guilty- the extortion of enormous amounts of money from the people involved, apart from the fact that they were kept against their will, missed their plane and the amounts are not proportionate to the products involved, whether KP is/was involved or not."

You believe if you get caught stealing in any airport in Europe or the USA, they won't keep you against your will and you won't miss your flight ? Obviously you never got caught :)

But do you really believe that if your old Mum goes in there, there's no chance she's going to be charged for 2 items on her credit card instead of 3, or given a 'freebie' that turns out expensive?

That's very different ! Heavy sales tactic, maybe. Extortion , definitively no !

Um, no, that would be extortion.

I have no problem at all with holding genuine criminals. They should not be able to buy their way out and embassies should ensure that all parties are subject to due process.

Ah yes i see.

These educated professionals must just do it for the buzz ..... Silly girl!

Yes,cctv clearly show's what happened! educated,not short of money....like you said,must get a kick out of it!

I think kingpower,like rick said are just trying to draw a line between themself's and what the tourist police

and the local police did!

It's very bad publicity -again- for Thailand. :D

LaoPo

For a member who's new (since 2 weeks) on Thaivisa you're quite busy, defending Kingpower :)

But, let me repeat what I wrote:

""It's also not the point; the point is -guilty or not guilty- the extortion of enormous amounts of money from the people involved, apart from the fact that they were kept against their will, missed their plane and the amounts are not proportionate to the products involved, whether KP is/was involved or not.""

LaoPo

I am a great believer in 'due process' too. However we saw what happened lately when due process was enacted in Phuket. remember when the foul mouthed, self righteous Oz shiela knocked off the bar mat?

Australians were outraged at the treatment of this poor innocent mother of three. The news media and public at large had a field day giving the corrupt thais another kicking.

This time instead of going into remand they got taken to a nice cosy hotel to sort it out on the QT.

Edited by cpofc

i have no sympathy for them

they stole and paid the price for it

they are not poor not out of work not hungry

but

if the film is found to be doctored or edited or any other case where it is ia set up then that is a different matter

if the film is found to be doctored or edited or any other case where it is ia set up then that is a different matter

I was waiting for the first comment in the line of this.Ok let it get straight,if it can't be proved that the film is edited then for sure they were given a secret drug which made them steal because foreigners never steal.

It's very bad publicity -again- for Thailand. :D

LaoPo

For a member who's new (since 2 weeks) on Thaivisa you're quite busy, defending Kingpower :)

But, let me repeat what I wrote:

""It's also not the point; the point is -guilty or not guilty- the extortion of enormous amounts of money from the people involved, apart from the fact that they were kept against their will, missed their plane and the amounts are not proportionate to the products involved, whether KP is/was involved or not.""

LaoPo

I don't think kingpower had anything to do with extortion,why would they?

Staff reported a theft to security and from the cctv clearly they did it!

What happened after they were caught was no fault of KP,just some dodgy tourist cop and some bib making the most of the situation!

The problem is that because Thailand is rotten to the core with corruption, Internationally they have a difficult task of convincing the public that a real crime has been committed against them and that no scamming was involved.

I am sure that if this CCT footage had not been published, judgment would have been in favour of the perpetrators against the Thai law enforcers.

These thieves’ should be given a criminal record on file in Thailand and their home countries, plus a lifetime ban from entering Thailand again.

The problem is that because Thailand is rotten to the core with corruption, Internationally they have a difficult task of convincing the public that a real crime has been committed against them and that no scamming was involved.

I am sure that if this CCT footage had not been published, judgment would have been in favour of the perpetrators against the Thai law enforcers.

These thieves' should be given a criminal record on file in Thailand and their home countries, plus a lifetime ban from entering Thailand again.

I think that the whole situation should have been handled according to the Thai law since the (still alledged) act happened in Thailand. Without any corruption naturally.