Kanchanaburi Or Ratchaburi

gunn09

Hi,

Just looking for some info from you guys in the know,

After getting married later this year and doing all the ceremony and family stuff plus doing a bit of traveling with my family we would like to spend a few days alone time(small honeymoon)poss either Kanchanaburi or Ratchaburi or maybe anywhere close by you's could reccomend.

Basically I have found alot of info on Kanchanaburi but not alot for Ratchaburi so any info would also be great ie Guest houses or hotels plus any night life(maybe not be out much but always good to know).

So any info would be great in helping make up our minds

Thanks James.

From my brief visit I found Ratchaburi more Thai oriented and not so much set up for English speaking visitors. There is a lovely big temple up on the hill top though. Kan Win would know a whole lot more than me. I was just taking a motorcycle trip through the area with my Thai girl friend. Sorry I can't help you with accommodation info because all the places we stopped were Thai only and I couldn't read the signs.

Ratchaburi_temple_1.jpg

Ratchaburi_temple_2.jpg

Ratchaburi_temple_4.jpg

Ratchaburi_temple_8.jpg

Ratchaburi_temple_Bells_1.jpg

Depends on your priorities. Central Kanchanaburi is probably better for nightlife and good hotels. Staying out of town both places have a lot to offer. As mentioned KANWIN is the font of knowledge on Kanchanaburi. You will find a lot on the web about Kanchanaburi's attractions.

If you would like a quieter honeymoon with some wonderful scenery around Suan Phung, Ratchaburi is fantastic. Mountains, waterfalls, hot springs and some interesting rock formations.

The Scenery Resort & Farm (sceneryresort.com) is an excellent place to stay. It must please the Prince as he stays there several times a year.

Since I was last there I would expect the new bar at the entrance has been comleted, but I wouldn't know if it has turned into a lively nightspot.

The food is excellent, and I would recommend the lamb chops.

There is also a free Tourist Guide to Ratchaburi listing all the attractions, places to stay, eat etc, that is made available in many locations in and around Ratchaburi

Hello

Ratchaburi has lots to offer for a honeymoon but dont hope for a night life as this is still not farang area and hopefully not for a long time. As Derek-C said Suan Phung is well worth looking at there are alot of very nice hotels around here with good food and good views and alot to visit just depends what you like. There is a very nice resort just pass Suan Phung on right in the mountains near to everything Derek said. Sorry i cant say anything about Kanchanburi as not from there.

Paul

Hi,

Just looking for some info from you guys in the know,

After getting married later this year and doing all the ceremony and family stuff plus doing a bit of traveling with my family we would like to spend a few days alone time(small honeymoon)poss either Kanchanaburi or Ratchaburi or maybe anywhere close by you's could reccomend.

Basically I have found alot of info on Kanchanaburi but not alot for Ratchaburi so any info would also be great ie Guest houses or hotels plus any night life(maybe not be out much but always good to know).

So any info would be great in helping make up our minds

Thanks James.

Hi James,

Welcome to Thai Visa :)

Ratchaburi as 'bankha', 'DEREK-C' and 'IanForbes' mentioned lovely place to visit on ones 'small honeymoon'. Spend a couple of days there and then see Kan.

Why come all this way and miss Kan?

Have a look at my webpages just to give you some ideas of where to go in Kan = Kanchanaburi

Assorted shots of Kan

http://www.pbase.com/win13/muang_kan

Map of Kan

http://www.pbase.com/win13/maps

Eating Places

On Menam Kwae Road, (River road) Jolly Frog Soi China, is a good place for European Food,

‘Floating Restaurant’ by the Bridge for Thai Food. Further up the road a bit say 100 meters is another Thai Restaurant with a view of the Bridge. Indo Style type.

Sites to visit:-

This is one of my tour which I take with my wife. (Not a tour guide btw) :D

http://www.pbase.com/win13/win_tour

Film Studio in Lat Ya ‘Prommitr Film Studio’

Safrai Park.

Temple on the Meklong Dam

Wat Tum Seu

http://www.pbase.com/win13/temples

Waterfalls

Huay Mae Khamin Waterfall, please read below this photo how to get there.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/image/48149834

http://www.pbase.com/win13/waterandfalls

Erawan Waterfall, but I have not been there for years, so no photos.

Sai Yok Noi Waterfall free of charge is at the end of the ‘Train Ride’.

Take a Boat ride as well if you wish.

Sangkhla Buri

http://www.pbase.com/win13/sangkhla

Good if the weather is nice. Recommend you stay there 1 or 2 nights.

In Kan Town, Cemeteries, JEATH Museum, the turn of is to the right is on the main road before the Police Station, and then the road along the River, turn right, by the Police Station and go past Kan Gates and down the little hill to where the two rivers join, Khwae Yai and Noi.

and some light reading just for fun

http://www.pbase.com/win13/comet

Should you require further info please post here or PM me. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. Thank you 'IanForbes' and 'DEREK-C'' for your comments about me :D

Edited by Kan Win

Thanks for the replys,

Looks like Kanchanaburi is winning,It was my first choice mow the gf tells me a freind of hers stayed in Ratcaburi and didn't like it much so thats put her off.

Kan Win looked at your links very good plenty of things to think about, any advice on nice guest houses/resorts :) ?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replys,

Looks like Kanchanaburi is winning,It was my first choice mow the gf tells me a freind of hers stayed in Ratcaburi and didn't like it much so thats put her off.

Kan Win looked at your links very good plenty of things to think about, any advice on nice guest houses/resorts :D ?

Thanks again.

Hi James,

I live in my house in Kan, so any advice on

a nice guest houses/resorts

can not, but try this link

PM me if you need any advice/help James or post on here for all to see. :)

Yours truly,

Win in Kan :D

I do agree with Derek, Ratchaburi and surroundings has a lot to offer there is many places people don't

even know about not just the Floating Markets. Feel free to PM me if you deceide to come over here

for a day I can arrange accomodation for you :)

Cheers

Hi Guys,

once again thanks for the replies,

it now seems my gf has set her sights on going to Samut Songkran area and staying in a homestay called Baan Maichay Klong so it looks like the boss has made up her mind and we'll be heading there.Anyone ever been before looked on net but its all in Thai and well confused me.

Thanks James.

Hi Guys,

it now seems my gf has set her sights on going to Samut Songkran area and staying in a homestay called Baan Maichay Klong so it looks like the boss has made up her mind and we'll be heading there.Anyone ever been before looked on net but its all in Thai and well confused me.

Thanks James.

I would like to know your experience from the home stay.

Wife went to Thailand in February this year and bought land for us in Amphawa - Samut Songkram. Her sister and husband bought as well. They knew about a place where 20 plots came up for sale and are totally enthusiastic about it.

I let her have her way in return for living with me in my country - we are going in December/January and would like to stay in the area. ¨

Upon seeing the pictures I joked with my wife as to "where do I put up the house? It is all swamp and water." I am repeatedly told that this is a very beautiful place in the eyes of the Thais. Wife's sister has now let built the access road to her plot and ours, so that I can drive onto the plot and inspect it, without getting my feet wet. I confess I do not know what I have let myself in for here, but as wife is very happy I go allong with it.

I am a bit encouraged reading the other thread from Ratchaburi and the recently opened walking street and the boat ride set up between Ratchaburi and Amphawa.

On a side note: regards to Derec C and his wife - now you know where we will be living!

Edited by Frank La Rue

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Thanks James.

I would like to know your experience from the home stay.

Wife went to Thailand in February this year and bought land for us in Amphawa - Samut Songkram. Her sister and husband bought as well. They knew about a place where 20 plots came up for sale and are totally enthusiastic about it.

I let her have her way in return for living with me in my country - we are going in December/January and would like to stay in the area. ¨

Upon seeing the pictures I joked with my wife as to "where do I put up the house? It is all swamp and water." I am repeatedly told that this is a very beautiful place in the eyes of the Thais. Wife's sister has now let built the access road to her plot and ours, so that I can drive onto the plot and inspect it, without getting my feet wet. I confess I do not know what I have let myself in for here, but as wife is very happy I go allong with it.

I am a bit encouraged reading the other thread from Ratchaburi and the recently opened walking street and the boat ride set up between Ratchaburi and Amphawa.

On a side note: regards to Derec C and his wife - now you know where we will be living!

I am also interested in both areas, how much would i be expected to pay for say about 100 to 200 dw of land and good to hear the positives about both places.

• 9 months later...

I have lived both in Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi. No doubs Kanchanaburi is more touristy and there is more things to do but I must say even in Ratchaburi there is plenty to do, see and hotels to stay in.