The Differences Between Theravada And Mahayana Buddhism

matt888

Although I myself don't accept everything written in (Theravada) Buddhist scripture, I've yet to see a coherent argument that doing so impedes the attainment of enlightenment. Quite the opposite, I would think.

I think you make a very good point.

I guess my skepticism goes back to the same thinking I had about Christianity and those who believe that every word in the Bible is the word of God.

He is an Arahant....so he wouldn't make things up or lie...in order to be famous.

I doubt he is an arahat, but he could think he is. Doesn't mean he is lying.

I and most of his students/followers would say he is arahant. He would or could not admit it, since that is a paraccica offense.

Although I myself don't accept everything written in (Theravada) Buddhist scripture, I've yet to see a coherent argument that doing so impedes the attainment of enlightenment. Quite the opposite, I would think.

I guess my skepticism goes back to the same thinking I had about Christianity and those who believe that every word in the Bible is the word of God.

I used to be told by a monk that to be able to reach nirvana, one had to have faith in Buddha word. no doubt. How can that be? Back then I was so young that I was so skeptic. That's like having faith in gods, blind faith.

But then later on in my early 20s, I realised what my skeptism was based on ... nothing. It was my ignorance, my second/third handed information that filled my mind with doubt.

The thing is some of us would have heard that the Buddha forbids people from cliaming that they had reached such and such levels. The (edit: main) reason is not to protect them, but prevent the others from skepticism due to ignorance.

The Buddha has told us not to put our minds into working out how big the Universe is or how long it has been around or even how long is an aeon and so on. This is because with our limitted sensory and wisdom, it is beyond our comprehension. And attaining enlightenment is not the result of understanding the universe. Quite the other way around.

The best way to cure skepticism is experimentation, if we have to be so logical. And Buddhism is logical. When one reaches certain levels through the practicing, things will become clearer and clearer. In sciences, we follow the procedures by the letters. Same can be done in practising Buddhism .... hence the faith in Buddha's words.

Edited by agent69

I used to be told by a monk that to be able to reach nirvana, one had to have faith in Buddha word. no doubt. How can that be? Back then I was so young that I was so skeptic. That's like having faith in gods, blind faith.

But then later on in my early 20s, I realised what my skeptism was based on ... nothing. It was my ignorance, my second/third handed information that filled my mind with doubt.

The thing is some of us would have heard that the Buddha forbids people from cliaming that they had reached such and such levels. The (edit: main) reason is not to protect them, but prevent the others from skepticism due to ignorance.

The Buddha has told us not to put our minds into working out how big the Universe is or how long it has been around or even how long is an aeon and so on. This is because with our limitted sensory and wisdom, it is beyond our comprehension. And attaining enlightenment is not the result of understanding the universe. Quite the other way around.

The best way to cure skepticism is experimentation, if we have to be so logical. And Buddhism is logical. When one reaches certain levels through the practicing, things will become clearer and clearer. In sciences, we follow the procedures by the letters. Same can be done in practising Buddhism .... hence the faith in Buddha's words.

He is an Arahant....so he wouldn't make things up or lie...in order to be famous.

I doubt he is an arahat, but he could think he is. Doesn't mean he is lying.

I and most of his students/followers would say he is arahant. He would or could not admit it, since that is a paraccica offense.

Yes, it is a serious offense. For monks it's always serious. And there are reasons why.