Google Drops A Nuclear Bomb On Microsoft. And It’s Made Of Chrome

george

Google Drops A Nuclear Bomb On Microsoft. And It’s Made of Chrome.

Wow. So you know all those whispers about a Google desktop operating system that never seem to go away? You thought they might with the launch of Android, Google’s mobile OS. But they persisted. And for good reason, because it’s real.

In the second half of 2010, Google plans to launch the Google Chrome OS, an operating system designed from the ground up to run the Chrome web browser on netbooks. “It’s our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be,”

Google writes tonight on its blog.

-- techcrunch.com

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news. Don't expect Chrome OS to dominate right away but it will surely give Microsoft a valid reason to improve their OS.

When is the beta testing starting? Sign me up!

Bye bye Windows :D

Been hearing that for 20 years. :)

from Amiga users,

Apple users,

Linux users, etc, etc......

Inertia is a powerful thing.

Exactly.

Let's see if they can pull off what they promise, no viruses, no need for updates, sounds wishfull thinking to me.

from Amiga users,

Apple users,

Exactly.

Let's see if they can pull off what they promise, no viruses, no need for updates, sounds wishfull thinking to me.

I doubt if it will wipe out Windoze, but if it has an effect on MS pricing structure that can only be a good thing.

The monster legacy, operating system is dead. Long live lean & mean. Its all about applications. Bravo

Google didnt get to the top of the food chain because of stupidity, plus it has the horsepower to deliver

the goods expeditiously. Expect an open-sauce system within a month.

Bubba

We have long looked to Google to develop a full blown operating system. With the name "Google", I think software developers will work with Google to design their programs to work with the new operating system. Maybe Google will take the best of Linux and standardize it. That is something the 1001 Linux distros have failed to do.

If I am not mistaken this is one of the in the clouds, runs on google things.  I live in Thailand, an OS that only works over a good internet connection is not only a dumb idea ,  its a stupid one.  Plus why would I trust them with everything on my PC i.e. now on thier web site.   Now if they are cutting cd's and have a real OS then lets see the iso and give it a spin like we would any Linux distro. OS's other then windows have been around but they don't ever have enough of those button thingees on them so most people fear using them.   :)   

If I am not mistaken this is one of the in the clouds, runs on google things.  I live in Thailand, an OS that only works over a good internet connection is not only a dumb idea ,  its a stupid one.  Plus why would I trust them with everything on my PC i.e. now on thier web site.   Now if they are cutting cd's and have a real OS then lets see the iso and give it a spin like we would any Linux distro. OS's other then windows have been around but they don't ever have enough of those button thingees on them so most people fear using them.   :)   

I am mistaken it is a Linux Distro from Google coming in 2010.  Bring it on,  lets go. :D

That new "competitor" can do good for all users. I trust specifically M$ must review some price policy a.s.a.p...

IMHO its a long way to go for Google... if they succeed - and I doubt many will change to a Google OS any time soon.

from Amiga users,

Apple users,

Exactly.

Amazingly, for those of us that don't live entirely on Planet Windows, there are operating systems that deliver this already and have done so for some time.

Inertia has been kind to Windows for far too long.

from Amiga users,

Apple users,

Exactly.

Amazingly, for those of us that don't live entirely on Planet Windows, there are operating systems that deliver this already and have done so for some time.

Name ONE os that is not vulnerable to viruses and leaks, there is NONE, when a machine runs code, it is vulernable to flaws and weaknesses in that code, no OS on the planet is exempted from that.

Or are you suggesting that the huge number of monthly updates to any Linux distro are there for another purpose ?

The only thing that they seem to be doing is making sure the code will run off the cloud instead of a user machine, hence limiting the attack surface on that machine, of course this brings other problems, not sure if I would trust google to provide that infrastructre and protect my data running off the cloud. Not sure if many corporations are willing to take that risk either.

Oh by the way, I run a multitude of operating systems, so not sure what the planet windows reference is trying to achieve. Incidentially, the one OS that everyone has been slagging off for two years seems also to be the most secure..

Edited by sjaak327

Exactly.

I don't think you can avoid updates on any OS. My Ubuntu laptop needs hefty updating on a regular basis.

I'd love to see Google deliver an OS that had stable, thorougly reviewed and relatively secure code. I'm not sure that they will, but they probably have the brains and resources to make it happen if they feel like it. Whatever happened to Microsofts 'trusted computing'??

I use Unix, Linux, 24/7, in mission critical applications, even have an old XPSP2, for embedded

applications & firmware updates. Never been touched in years. Boots & runs like a SOG

Whenever I choose to load a new OS, I always harden it first, then install any ancillaries, and do more

of the same. I never update anything - why ruin a perfectly good OS with incessant tinkering.

The guys who built it know a huge amount more than you do. I respect that & choose not to

reinvent the wheel, daily.

Thats like bolting a spare engine into the trunk of a perfectly good 930. The one in front, silly.

It must be an old M$ throwback. Ubuntu is Windersesque, besides it will be fun to play with

something that is instantly-on & web-ready. The OS is dead. Lean & mean is good.

I have machines I have not booted in +100 days, servers in years .. all Linux

My iPhone does it all, embedded, so think outside the box. All we need is a larger screen.

Bubba

So long as it doesn't come with an 'everything should live in the cloud owned by Google Inc' attitude, I'll be very interested to play with this.

Well said. The personal security aspects oof this "cloud computing" need to be looked at very carefully by the end users

About 90% of Linux updates are added feat. to applications as the updates effect everything installed not just the OS. The more you have installed the bigger the update.  Most of the updates have nothing to do with security issues at all.  I use a rolling distro so I never even notice it.  Another thing that adds to the size of an update in Linux is the software is completely replaced rather then just patched.  Most MS updates are a hurry fast and secure the mess we made patch and happens almost every Tuesday.   Updates to software come in the form of what they have to sell to replace that other one you already paid for..     I think Google has the manpower to make a heck of a Linux distro that hardware will pay some atten. to.  I hope its not an online version of anything.  OS's belong on the PC with the files.  Just think of all the easy to use GUI's that will be flowing from there.

About 90% of Linux updates are added feat. to applications as the updates effect everything installed not just the OS. The more you have installed the bigger the update.  Most of the updates have nothing to do with security issues at all.  I use a rolling distro so I never even notice it.  Another thing that adds to the size of an update in Linux is the software is completely replaced rather then just patched.  Most MS updates are a hurry fast and secure the mess we made patch and happens almost every Tuesday.   Updates to software come in the form of what they have to sell to replace that other one you already paid for..     I think Google has the manpower to make a heck of a Linux distro that hardware will pay some atten. to.  I hope its not an online version of anything.  OS's belong on the PC with the files.  Just think of all the easy to use GUI's that will be flowing from there.

Well the same can be said about Vista, very very few updates, most updates that I get for Vista, are office or live updates, that are not directly related to the OS. Incidentially both Ubuntu and Suse, have had their share of security updates, just as much as your average Windows box will get (maybe XP excluded, they are still fixing holes on that OS).

Also, Microsoft releases patches on Tuesday, second week of each month, not every Tuesday. The notion that Microsoft requires more patches that your average Linux distro is false (again when Vista is concerned).

Of course if google will pull this off, it will probably be mostly off the cloud, as that is their main business, and the more code on your machine, as you just indicated, the more updates are needed, it is just something that is unavoidable. So if google make claims like that, I bet it will run off the cloud for a large part. In any case, as they say themselves, it is a new OS build from the ground up, so it might not even be a Linux Distro ?

You can update periodically or run it stock - smart money says you run stock.

Whenever you update, all the libraries follow in lockstep. If there is any incompatibility - toast.

You can do the math - the permutations are enormous. DLL He_l its called on the far side - then

they change all the repos whilst you were napping.

Most Distros +1000, are voluntary work - thats a lot of work. If I break something, I boot to another

distro and continue - fix broken one later. KISS

Bubba

"almost every Tuesday"  

If I were MS I would not bother updating vista ether. :)     Kidding!

"DLL He_l its called on the far side - then they change all the repos whilst you were napping."

I never install from outside the distro's repo they maintain a testing section before releasing to the repo and I have never had it break.  Added advantage is I maintain a local repo and update from there.  It downloads everything at 100mbps and takes longer to install then it does to download.  The repo sync's at its own pace.  After one updated PC checks out, the rest can go ahead from the local server.  I have yet to get a broken package.  The complete repo is smaller then my XP pro install is at present.

I bet google will run a locked down repo and should not be a problem, but I bet they won't let me sync it ether. :D