Thai Hangouts In The Rest Of The World

stevehaigh

I'm visiting Europe with the wife at the moment and always looking for Thai hangouts so the wife can chat with people and because Thai's are just more fun than farangs!

so we've found a couple of places in Switzerland i want to give you some info about and would like to hear about other places, especially in London since that's our next stop.

note that i'm not talking about Thai restaurants here, there's millions of them. i'm looking for places that have a bar, Thai music, hang out in the evening and talk to people, etc.

No 1:

In Geneva there's a place called Suwanapum (like the airport). I can't recall the exact location but its around here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...=16&iwloc=A. its a tiny little place on the corner around Rue de la Croix d'Or that doesn't look like much but downstairs on Friday nights they have Thai karaoke night. We had a great time there, got mao maak maak on Singha, met and talked with loads of people, sang songs, great fun. and all for about 40 swiss francs (about $40US). great night out, highly recommended.

No 2:

In Zurich there's a place called the thatthaiclub http://thaithaiclub.ch/. This is run much more like a business than the karaoke bar in Geneva and as such has no atmosphere, people aren't real friendly and the beer is crazy expensive. a 25cl bottle of Heiniken is 10CHF (about $10US). They don't even sell Singha. we only stayed for one drink at those prices but it didn't look like there was much point in staying anyhow.

Please post your reviews of Thai hangouts in various places around the world here.

thanks, steve

Edited by stevehaigh

Usually the Thai hang out places in Europe are not places to be recommended. Playing cards, asking about financially status of the husbands and bad advice is not unusual.

A good mate had a nice Thai wife. But after seeing fellow Thais in an European city often, she suddenly did not come back home.

Days later an unknown Farang called my mate and said, that his wife will not come back, because she stays with him now.

Thai Town in Los Angeles between Hollywood Blvd and Normandie Ave. Restaurants, bars, video stores, supermarkets, gift shops, newspapers, magazines, books -- all in Thai. Oddly the Thai Consulate is on Melrose a few km away from the neighborhood.

More than 80,000 of California's estimated 120,000 Thai Americans live in Los Angeles.

No go-go. :)

Edited by Texpat

I'm visiting Europe with the wife at the moment and always looking for Thai hangouts so the wife can chat with people and because Thai's are just more fun than farangs!

so we've found a couple of places in Switzerland i want to give you some info about and would like to hear about other places, especially in London since that's our next stop.

In London, the Thai Wat southwest of Central London used to have pot lot dinners every week (on Saturday afternoon IIRC). I would bet that they still do. Metro London must have upwards of 70-80 Thai restaurants.

In Amsterdam, there is a bar in the RLD called Mekong River on the canal about 200m up from Oude Kerk going towards Centraal. Had many fun times there. Good food and drink. Friendly owner and bar staff. Opens around 9pm.

In London, the Thai Wat southwest of Central London used to have pot lot dinners every week (on Saturday afternoon IIRC). I would bet that they still do.

The Thai temple is in Wimbledon:

http://www.buddhapadipa.org/

There are loads of Thai restaurants around but I don't know any bars of the kind the OP describes - though there are a few Thai restaurants in pubs. I have noticed gangs of Thai wives or ex-wives in night clubs in one British provincial city - the numbers in the UK seem to be increasing steadily and not all are still attached. I've also visited some quite lively Thai restaurants with many Thai students in attendance in downtown Toronto.

• 2 months later...
Thai Town in Los Angeles between Hollywood Blvd and Normandie Ave. Restaurants, bars, video stores, supermarkets, gift shops, newspapers, magazines, books -- all in Thai. Oddly the Thai Consulate is on Melrose a few km away from the neighborhood.

More than 80,000 of California's estimated 120,000 Thai Americans live in Los Angeles.

Actually, some thais used to own a strip club called MonteCarlos 2 or 3. It was on Sunset/Harvard by the 99cent store. All farang women dancers, though. I live right on the edge of thaitown. They own a couple cool bars with very amusing thai lady bartenders.

The Norbiton Dragon Pub near Kingston UK is Thai owned and a popular meetig place for expats and their thai families at weekends,also the putney bridge area lots of thai restauraunts, used to be a thai social club in a private house in farnborough hants too but sadly john and vron emigrated,so next nearest club is guildford :)

Thai Town - North Hollywood, CA. For some spiritual folks who like to tamboon and have a good cheap meal, a noodle soup perhaps, I can certainly recommend Wat Thai of Los Angeles, Coldwater Canyon Road, North Hollywood, CA. Saturdays and Sundays are great there. Come early to get the best food for a very descent price.

Otherwise we had the Singha Beerfest in OC last weekend. Cheers

Very close to my London flat, there is the Churchill Arms, located on Kensington Church Street (Notting Hill end).

20 years (or so) ago it was the first pub to add a Thai restaurant at its back.

Therefore after 11pm closing time and behind closed curtains ; it became instantly an after hours, drinking hole, for the Thai community and locales as well.

I am from Boston and there is a Thai town there too. After all His Majesty was born in Boston (outside of) so I guess it is a fitting place to have a Thai town. :D

Edited by mizzi39

Usually the Thai hang out places in Europe are not places to be recommended. Playing cards, asking about financially status of the husbands and bad advice is not unusual.

A good mate had a nice Thai wife. But after seeing fellow Thais in an European city often, she suddenly did not come back home.

Days later an unknown Farang called my mate and said, that his wife will not come back, because she stays with him now.

That's not the fault of the local Thai community, that's the fault of a philandering woman.

If you are ever in San Francisco, check out Ozone. It's a bar and restaurant with karaoke and dancing. Lots of Thai people go, and it's lots of fun.

Also, there is a Thai temple called Wat Buddhanusorn in Fremont, which is about 35 minutes south-east by car from San Francisco. On Sundays they sell food outside to raise funds for the temple, and many Thai people come out to socialize, go to the temple, tam boon, get some good Thai food, etc.

In Sydney it's a small area near China town bordered by Liverpool and Castlereigh Streets.

The area is known as Thaina Town. All the Thai students hang out there.

Great place for authentic Thai food.

King Street, Newtown (Sydney), must have more Thai restaurants than anywhere else in Australia. Nearly every 2nd shop is a Thai restauraunt.

In Houston, Tx. there is a rest/bar names Naam Khao. West side of town. Owner is a lady who also owns a bar in Washington Sq--BKK. After dinner hr stops the tables go away and Thai music gets turned up and the dancing begins. On the weekday nights the usual card playing and gambling can go on till all hours of the night