Opening Links

macb

MS Updates recently came in upgrading IE to 8 which I dont use very often as I use Firefos 3.5 which has always been my default browser.

But when I click on a link in Outlook Express the IE browser comes up and not Firefox, but the link does not open at all now even in IE.

There must be something built into the new IE 8 that overrides Firefox or there is something simple to do but I cant find it.

Done some research on that and found something which might help you to soleve your issue

Looks like their may be a problem with the way Firefox registers itself to handle urls in Windows or an issue with DDE messaging. A workaround for now:

1. Open Explorer

2. Select Tools and then Folder Options

3. Select the File Types tab

4. Select Extension: (NONE), File Type: HyperText Transfer Protocol

5. Click Advanced toward the bottom of the window

6. In the Edit File Type window, select open and click Edit

7. Clear the DDE message box (which should contain "%1")

8. Click OK, Click OK

9. Repeat for File Type: HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

When you click a link in an Outlook email, it opens in Internet Explorer.

try this:

1. Launch My Computer or Windows Explorer.

2. Choose menu 'Tools' -> 'Folder Options'

3. Click the 'File Types' tab.

4. Scroll down to find 'URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol' (under the File Types column) and make sure it's highlighted.

5. Click the 'Advanced' button.

6. In the 'Actions' box make sure that 'open' is highlighted (click on it if necessary)

7. Click the 'Edit' button.

8. Uncheck 'Use DDE', click the Browse button and browse to Firefox.exe on your system, and click OK. [updated for clarification, sorry about the earlier omission.] If you get a "file not found" message, browse to Firefox.exe and click OK.

9. The path to Firefox.exe should now appear in the 'Application used to perform this action' box.

10. Go to that 'Application used to perform this action' box, and add '-url "%1"' at the end, without the single quotes, so that it reads e.g. (on my computer at least) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -url "%1" - with the double quotes!

10. Click OK again.

11. Repeat the process with the file type 'URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy'