Renewing Thai Driver's Licence.

Ned

looks like ill have to go back to nong khai to renew then!

ahh..finally we have someone who recommends on where to renew a first year thai driving licence on Tourist Visa...thank you OxfordWill. Pls let us know whether you are successful in ur attempt to renew, wherever u may choose to. I might just join u in Nong Khai if you are indeed successful!

Edited by jackbox1982

Ill do it around 25th of this month. I would be very surprised if there was even a raised eyebrow, there certainly wasnt when I got the original without a theory or practical test and on a tourist visa to begin with. The only question asked was did I also want the license for all types of motorbike and I said sure, why not!

I don't know which part of Thailand you get your driving licences from "pjclark1" but I cannot agree with you on at least two points you make in your posting.

1. two photos required. No photos needed nowadays as they take them at the Licencing centre.

2. 2nd renewal is for life. I just did my second 5 year renewal which is valid for a further 5 years. Not for life as you state.

I renewed my licences yesterday and you can read my report in the 'pinned' section of this forum.

Also, if your immigration office is one that is still prepared to issue a 'residence certificate', it should be free of charge... you paid 500 baht??? :D

Even Thai's are not issued with life licences any more. It is a one year first passport, and thereafter 5 year renewals.

Yeah! And that's why my missus didn't want to change her m/c licence up to one of the new style ones when I was going for my 5 year renewal recently..... she has one of those valid for life jobbies :)

Don't worry. If the old one is issued for life, the new one will be too automatically.

Thanks for that info Birdman, didn't realize that was the case. Anyway, I only suggested to the wife to change her licence to the new style one because we happened to be at the office renewing my licences. I'm sorted for another 5 years and don't think that we will be making any further trips to their offices for a while. Just leave it as it is :)

Just renewed my TDL today at Phahonyothin office (opposite chatuchak market).

I had my original license a year ago on a non-B visa, but this time I was on a Tourist Visa (30 days stamp) because my non-B had just expired the week before. The lady at counter 17 denied me for a 5 year but said she could give me a 1 year again, renewable next year for 5y with a work permit or non-B visa (or other visa I don't know as i'm not concerned).

The list of requirements for this office to renew for a 5 year license is :

-Passeport + copy of all relevant pages with visa non-immigrant or WP +certificate of residency from embassy(or from immi) if no WP

-Medical certificate

-Old license

Then pass the stupid color and reaction tests again and you're done.

I'm up for 3 hours of joy again next year =]

I had my original license a year ago on a non-B visa, but this time I was on a Tourist Visa (30 days stamp) because my non-B had just expired the week before. The lady at counter 17 denied me for a 5 year but said she could give me a 1 year again, renewable next year for 5y with a work permit or non-B visa (or other visa I don't know as i'm not concerned).

-Passeport + copy of all relevant pages with visa non-immigrant or WP +certificate of residency from embassy(or from immi) if no WP

-Medical certificate

-Old license

That's really good to hear that you are still able to renew the license on a tourist visa for 1 year, despite being denied the 5 year one. I heard many same stories like yours and you are one of the few to come out and share it. Thanks!

P.S looks like the Phahonyothin transport office ain't that stingy stringent afterall

-Medical certificate

-Old license

That's really good to hear that you are still able to renew the license on a tourist visa for 1 year, despite being denied the 5 year one. I heard many same stories like yours and you are one of the few to come out and share it. Thanks!

P.S looks like the Phahonyothin transport office ain't that stingy stringent afterall

When I try to renew my driving license for 5 years, they give me one for 1 year only. And I had to do the whole test. Classrom, driving test etc. because I only hold tourist visa. Did not help that I am married and live here.(Working abroad). But now I have the Yellow house book, so I se what happen next year.

I have a International licence, and that is valid for 6 month every time I arrive, so I still a legal driver. But the rules changes with the person behind the counter!

-Medical certificate

-Old license

When I try to renew my driving license for 5 years, they give me one for 1 year only. And I had to do the whole test. Classrom, driving test etc. because I only hold tourist visa. Did not help that I am married and live here.(Working abroad). But now I have the Yellow house book, so I se what happen next year.

I have a International licence, and that is valid for 6 month every time I arrive, so I still a legal driver. But the rules changes with the person behind the counter!

Can u tell us where is this driving centre pls?

-Medical certificate

-Old license

Can u tell us where is this driving centre pls?

This was in Krabi, but I guess all city and province has one. They have one for car and one for motorbike. (I was terrified when I was back in traffic, when I se that this incompetent "drivers" drove off with a licence!)

H.