Visits To Thai Prisons- How Is It

mj9945

hi

I will be in thailand for some time and am involved in a human rights group. I have been asked to visit some people in the jails here.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this as I have never done it in thailand before. Are the conditions that bad.

I have heard the storys from my friends which range from thailand being one of the worst in respects to how people are treated, to how it is not so bad thesedays.

What do others have to say ?

I am involved in a human rights group. I have been asked to visit some people in the jails here.

yet

Can anyone offer me any advice on this as I have never done it in thailand before.

What human rights group are you involved with?

What kind of results are you expecting to find?

If you don't find those results, what will you do?

hi

I will be in thailand for some time and am involved in a human rights group. I have been asked to visit some people in the jails here.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this as I have never done it in thailand before. Are the conditions that bad.

I have heard the storys from my friends which range from thailand being one of the worst in respects to how people are treated, to how it is not so bad thesedays.

You are asking for opinions, if you are trained in this area you will be able to make your own mind up after your visits.

What you will find is that prisons here vary , mens to ladies, area to area etc, prison to prison. One thought comes to mind, you would probably be shocked by how some rural Thais live let alone prisons, so I am sure you will find a cause somewhere along the line.

My wifes brother is in a prison in a place called cique about 120 km south west of korat visited him the last time I was there it looked ok as far as prisons go.I work in a prison in Australia I know wheere I would much rather be . Australia easily

Yesterday I read in the Daily Mail UK newspaper, that the British government are going to spend £3 million building a lavish prison in Nigeria for it’s Nigerian inmates, because the prisoners have complained that sending them back to a Nigerian stink hole prison is against their human rights.

So there is the answer, if Thai criminals commit crimes in Britain rather than Thailand, the British government will build a nice luxury prison for them in Thailand.

This should pacify all those human rights groups and do gooders.

hi

Maybe this site will give you some insider information.

Thai Prison Life

There are lists on the internet somewhere which carry the names of expats in Thai prisons, and which ones they are in - most in Bangkok, but not all.

Also, touch base with the embassy of the ex-pat(s) you are intending to visit, first - before you go. There will be a staff member at each embassy who's job it is to keep an eye on their nationals locked up in Thailand. They will be able to give you an "intro' in whos who and what their circumstances are - and most important, who needs what (if you are intending to take anything with you), what they can have and how the system works.

If you get asked by an inmate to do something, like pass on a greeting to a family member back home, or get asked to get some sugar - sugar is a big thing in Thai jails - or toothpaste, shoes .... or offer to do x,y or z (within the rules of course), please follow through and do it - nothing, but nothing is worse for these folk than trusting or relying on a prison visitor to do something for them, like phone a family member, or whatever, only to find out 6months down the road that it wasn't done.

Many are doing time for involvement with drugs - staring at much of what remains of their lives where they are (failing a Royal Pardon or return home country to complete their sentance if a swop treaty is not in place).

Good luck ... I think you are going to find it a sobering experiance.