Mobi Is In Hospital Again

Rimmer

The doctors here are very knowledgeable and caring. They speak good English and have explained the progress of my disease since the first day and they show me my biochemistry printouts. Everything they told me would happen has happened, including my low platelet count. The facilities here are first class and state of the art .

Yes, Gary, the first thing they did was stop my daily aspirin to prevent internal bleeding, and they have sensibly adjusted , and some cases stopped some of my other meds to fit my condition.

Don't forget that Bangkok Pattaya basically sent me home with a flea in my ear, with the kid who posed as a Doctor in the ER more or less suggesting I was wasting their time. I will never, ever go in that hospital again as long as I live - just too many bad experiences. I heard it had improved - some bloody improvement!!

The doctors here are very knowledgeable and caring. They speak good English and have explained the progress of my disease since the first day and they show me my biochemistry printouts. Everything they told me would happen has happened, including my low platelet count. The facilities here are first class and state of the art .

Yes, Gary, the first thing they did was stop my daily aspirin to prevent internal bleeding, and they have sensibly adjusted , and some cases stopped some of my other meds to fit my condition.

Don't forget that Bangkok Pattaya basically sent me home with a flea in my ear, with the kid who posed as a Doctor in the ER more or less suggesting I was wasting their time. I will never, ever go in that hospital again as long as I live - just too many bad experiences. I heard it had improved - some bloody improvement!!

While we have never met, I consider you a friend (we both own golden retrievers). Given you are laid up, PM me if you need anything from Bkk. I promise not to send down any mosquitoes.

While we have never met, I consider you a friend (we both own golden retrievers). Given you are laid up, PM me if you need anything from Bkk. I promise not to send down any mosquitoes.

Thanks OMR I too consider you as a friend. We have shared many a happy debate together. :D

I came home this morning after I had been free of fever for 24 hours.

The Doc was a bit reluctant to let me go, but the cost was eating me up.

My blood is not too good, (low platelets) but gradually improving, so I just have to take it very easy for a few days. I'm not allowed to brush my teeth or shave to to the possibility of hemorrhaging. Right now I can barely walk, and I look like something out of the killing fields. But at least the pains and fever have subsided.

My weight has dropped from around 85 kilos to under 80. An effective way to lose weight :D

Thanks everyone for all the concern and good wishes. :)

:D .....Wish you well and a lot of strength Mobi; sorry, I didn't learn about your horrible experience but today.

It must have been terrible but luckily you were in good hands, finally.

Are you aware where you got the Dengue ? :)

Is there someone to take care of you or help you ?

All the best!

LaoPo

Great you survived mobi, I stupidly posted on your 'night sweats' post and then saw your 'dingue' post. That explains the night sweats??/ maybe too early to tell, but keep us posted on this thread and maybe a post on the night sweats post.....if you have time and energy.

Get well soon!!

I seem to be slowly recovering, although for some strange reason I am still losing weight - now below 80 kilos for the first time in 20 years. I guess I'm just not eating much, as I still have very little appetite.

I'm not sure if the night sweats are connected - I will have to wait and see. I am still sweating at night, but not too much.

LaoPo, I am not sure where I picked it up. As I have posted, you get it from the dengue mosquito which is only around in the day time, and has to have been infected itself from someone with the disease. One of my friends told me that he heard of other people contracting it in the area which I live (about 20kms east of Pattaya), but I was also in Bangkok, Pnom Penhn and Sa Kaeo during the incubation period, so I'll never really know.

. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Did you catch this in Bangkok or upcountry?

If I knew where I caught it I'd go back and mow down all the mosquitoes in the vicinity with a sub-machine gun. :) It has a lengthy incubation period, and is transmitted by the dengue mosquito which only comes out in the day time. But the mosquito has to bite an infected person, before it can infect another person.

More fevers today, and my blood platelet count is dropping. so I'm here for a few days yet.

Once again, thanks for the good wishes folks.

Did you go to phyathai hospital in Sriracha?

Barry

Mobi, Glad your doing better. If you contact the local administration they usually fogg around the area where Dengue Fever is diagnosed. Even though you traveled and cannot be certain where you caught the fever it would be a good idea to go ahead and spray your area. The truth is they should spray more often anyway but every action here is a reaction, never proactive.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the first hospital. I have been sent home only to barely make it back to the ER with high fever too, medicine here is a coin toss. You will most likely have night sweats for weeks, as for the appetite you may want to consider traditional herbs to make you hungry.

Unfortunately, once you have had Dengue it is even more dangerous to get it a second time, I found this over on the Mayo Clinic Website.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dengue-fe...DSECTION=causes

You can become infected with dengue fever more than once. This happens when you're exposed to a different one of the four dengue viruses than one to which you were previously exposed. Infection a second time is typically what causes the more severe form of the disease — dengue hemorrhagic fever.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dengue-fe...ON=risk-factors

If you've had dengue fever before

If you've had dengue fever before, you can get it again if you become infected with another one of the four dengue viruses. Having antibodies to a virus in your blood from a previous infection usually helps protect you. But in the case of dengue fever, it actually increases your risk of severe disease — dengue hemorrhagic fever — if you're infected again. So previous infection with a dengue fever virus increases your risk of a more severe form of the disease. This most often occurs in children.

Thanks Mai krap,

Yes, the doctor warned me about getting it a second time. He also suggested I stay away from open areas until I am completely better in case the mosquitoes pass on my infection to someone else.

I think I had better spray myself with repellent before I go outside from now on.

As far as Bangkok Pattaya hospital is concerned, I frankly think it is a total disgrace. I know some people report good experiences at this hospital, and I have no doubt there are some very good doctors there who do excellent work. But for me, and for many people I know, our experiences are completely negative.

I turn up at their ER with a temperature just under 40 degrees. (104 F). The kid in charge (my wife didn't even think he was a doctor, but he clearly was) was only concerned about whether I had swine flu. He did 3 tests, blood, urine and swab, and I waited over an hour for the results. he then confirmed that I did not have swine flu and I should go home and take some paracetamol. He showed absolutely no interest in what may be wrong with me, and did not offer any further tests or treatment.

By the afternoon I was delirious with fever and my wife had to call an ambulance to rush me into Samitivej, Sri Racha. The doctors at Sri Racha immediately suspected Dengue Fever, but did a whole range of tests to rule out other causes, including chest x rays to check for TB. I couldn't have better care anywhere. The doctors visited me several times a day, showed me my blood test printouts, explained what was going on, what they were doing and how I should expect the disease to progress. They were correct in every respect.

I was there for 8 days, on drip the whole time (including insulin for my diabetes), had constant 24 hour care, with continual blood and urine tests, and the bill was just over 100,000 Baht which in this day and age was not unreasonable. Bangkok Pattaya would have no doubt cranked up at least 1/2 million Baht by that time, if they had been smart enough to admit me.

Their loss, my gain.

Mobi, Just glad you lived to tell the tale! Dealing with a Thai Hospital can be a crazy experience. I have had fantastic Doctors and horrible ones at the very same hospital . I have also had a Doctor try to tell the staff I was drunk and to not listen to me when I was completely sober and had questioned what they were doing.

In one case I was a patient and my Doctor had a day off, the doctor who saw me did not even bother to open my chart, he changed everything that the original Doctor had done then gave me a completely new prescription of antibiotics when I was already maxed out on my original antibiotic prescription. If I had not questioned the pharmacist there is no telling what kind of damage it would have done to me. When the truth came out, I was told confidentially to never use that Doctor as he had been there for years and they could not complain or get rid of him. How many people had he killed in thirty years by writing prescriptions without reading charts? Nobodies telling, especially not the hospital involved.

I guess my point here is if you find a good Doctor, go to them. Any hospital in Thailand is the luck of the draw if you do not know the doctors there.

Great you survived mobi, I stupidly posted on your 'night sweats' post and then saw your 'dingue' post. That explains the night sweats??/ maybe too early to tell, but keep us posted on this thread and maybe a post on the night sweats post.....if you have time and energy.

Get well soon!!

Although I am feeling so much better and the fevers have gone for good, my night sweats remain - especially the neck. Last night my pillow was drenched again.

I am not sure if the is is the aftermath of dengue, or some other underlying condition - yet they tested me for pretty much everything when I was in hospital , including TB, so I guess it's the dengue still lurking in my blood.

........ my night sweats remain - especially the neck. Last night my pillow was drenched again.

I have the same since years. The only solution is that I wrap the pillow in a bath-towel and turn the pillow a few times per night.

It's not the ultimate solution but it helps and makes it a bit more comfortable, trying to sleep.

LaoPo