Skype For Thai Mobile (cell ) Phones

xen

My mobile phone bill has sky rocketed with calls to Thailand to my gf . I am exploring using Skype or any other VOIP phone system but i need to find a Phone provider that will allow international skype phone calls (mobile to mobile) from within Thailand. I have checked a few sites like 12Call and Happy but can't seem to find much info and i can't read Thai either. I know it is simple (or simplier)to do PC to PC but the communication companys are a bit hesitant to work with VOIP from what i have experienced. Has anybody got a mobile phone and uses VOIP in Thailand and what company and what phone do u use . Any info would help and be appreciated.

My mobile phone bill has sky rocketed with calls to Thailand to my gf . I am exploring using Skype or any other VOIP phone system but i need to find a Phone provider that will allow international skype phone calls (mobile to mobile) from within Thailand. I have checked a few sites like 12Call and Happy but can't seem to find much info and i can't read Thai either. I know it is simple (or simplier)to do PC to PC but the communication companys are a bit hesitant to work with VOIP from what i have experienced. Has anybody got a mobile phone and uses VOIP in Thailand and what company and what phone do u use . Any info would help and be appreciated.

go TO THE SKYPE WEBSITE - ALL INFORMATION THERE!

or GOOGLE for VoIP...

sorry "Capslock"... active..

When my wife was in Thailand and I was in the US, she would use her iTouch (which is simply an iPhone without the phone capability) and download the Skype application. She would then need to purchase a headset with built-in microphone and connect that to her iTouch. She then can call me directly to my cell in the US (via WiFi connection), providing she has purchased credit with "Skype Out". I also can call her iTouch from the US via my PC Skype account or on my own iTouch.

If you want, you can buy an iPhone, download the Skype application (FREE) and call her iTouch/iPhone. The iPhone in the US must be with AT&T, but the iPhone in Thailand can either be with TRUE (locked) or with AIS or other if it's unlocked. You both must have different Skype accounts. Accounts are FREE. The cost to call the US from Thailand is about 11 cents per/min. Check your own country if its different.

The PC to PC Skype is unbelievable. We used it every day.

Also, iTouch is NOT a phone. Therefore, it must be in an area (WiFi) to pick up internet signal.

Phones other than iTouch/iPhone in Thailand can us the GPIS to access the internet, whereupon you can go to Skype website to connect. I have not tried this, so I cannot speak on how it works...or not works.

Hope this helps a bit.

Johnny

We use AIS Edge on the internet via a Solomon USB modem. Skype works fine on EDGE from PC-PC we do notice when the kids are out of school the quality drops on the video streaming so we just talk for that period.

AIS EDGE is cheap 100baht for 30 hours on the deal thay have on now. Cheapest way I have found to call home here when out of the country.

AIS EDGE is cheap 100baht for 30 hours on the deal thay have on now. Cheapest way I have found to call home here when out of the country.
Depending on your phone, there may be a client for Fring (www.fring.com) for your mobile. Fring does a lot of chat protocols, has it's own VoIP system AND it does Skype. How does that sound?

Depending on your phone, there may be a client for Fring (www.fring.com) for your mobile. Fring does a lot of chat protocols, has it's own VoIP system AND it does Skype. How does that sound?

I have used Fring and Skype on WiFi, but have found that Skype using GPRS is very hit and miss here in Issan. I also use a system called voipcheap (www.voipcheap.com which gives free PC to phone connections to many countries and the charge for connecting to a phone in Thailand is only about 1c per minute. You can also use it to connect 2 phones by providing both numbers on their web page. They have a free trial to try without any sign up

smartvoip.com

you can call from PC to phone (or)

phone to phone through a web connection or GPRS or wifi on say iphone.

Say, you want to call from PC to a Thai Mobile Phone... Cost is 0.05EUR just for the connection and no additional charge regardless of how many minutes you speak. And, in some cases, there is not even a connection charge.

Say, you want to call your Thai Mobile Phone to Another Thai Mobile Phone.

Cost is again just 0.05EUR for the connection and the call is FREE for unlimited minutes.

0.05EUR = 2.38THB.

Works 98% of the time and has problems with the connection once in a while. Some problems are: The phone doesn't ring.

And, you can call several international destination for FREE... check out their website.

And, as other poster suggested... it is similar to voipcheap.com or also nonoh.net and various others... All of them have similar service and user interface... but the price varies slightly between them. check out their respective sites.

i think currently smartvoip.com has got the best rates for Thailand use.

Edited by ihightower

what i do to make it cheaper for my friends in the UK to call me is

I pay i think 30 pounds a year for a london number from skype

i then answer it on the computer or divert it to my mobile which i have to pick up the cost but far cheaper than a normal phone call from a phone in the uk to a Thai mobile , if you do it this way you will have to keep topping up the credit on skype .OR you could try these number from a landline in the uk my mate uses these i think from memory to a Thai landline 2p per min to a mobile 3p per min ..the numbers 4 cheap calls to thailand r

08444629629 landline

08444397397 mobile ..

this numbers r calling from a land line .. they explain everything when u call.. hope they are up to date

Browsing around I saw that in the UK they have the "3" network which has regular phones with Skype functionality which allow Skype to Skype calls free over the 3 network. Now if they had that in Thailand, you could phone your mobile to her mobile for free !

Thanks for all the replys . It somehow seems to difficult at the moment but no doubt skype /VOIP mobile to mobile will become easier to do as the teleco companys work a way out to provide /make money out the service. (Obviously why E-Bay bought skype). I can do it relativly easily within the national boundries but international is difficult and to a bear of little brain like me , too confusing .

I don't need mobile to PC or PC to mobile or PC to PC . "3" /Hutchinson/Vodaphone offers a part solution with their skype network and would work, i believe, if i was phoning Hong Kong or Europe/UK but not to Thailand .

Maybe i have to resort to having her move in with me. !!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried this with Skype and it's not working for some reason...

I have a Nokia E61i phone (unlocked on True) in BKK that works fine with various Wifi connections, including my own at home. I downloaded and installed Skype Lite on it, and that went pretty well.

But when I went to set up the Skype program on my phone, it asked for my country from a pull-down list. And Thailand wasn't among those listed. So I chose other, and then entered my Thai mobile number with the 66 country code. After doing that, and trying to make a Skype call to the U.S., (and having sufficient Skype Out credit in my Skype account), I got a message saying, "Phone calling not available in your region."

OK. So then I tried rejiggering the Skype settings...and changing the default phone number to one I have in the U.S., and changing the country selection to U.S. Then, when I tried to call a U.S. phone number using Skype, via my Wifi here in BKK, the Skype program popped up a message wanting to call (via my mobile phone) a different U.S. phone number to connect to Skype. Huh???

So, bottom line, how do you get the <deleted> thing to work here in Thailand for making phone calls??? The rest of the Skype program, for chatting and such, no problem.