Big Mountain Rock-chantaburi

Rinrada

Big Mountain Rock-Chantaburi......Where is it?

Promised K.Wife that on next visit in a couple of weeks time I would go with her (and half of samut Prat) to visit the Big Rock (beeg loc) on top of some mountain in Chantaburi.

From wat (approi) I can gather it sounds like a meteorite that is sitting up there and has the usual thai style "mystical connections".

Dont know if it religon based or wat?..again.... :D

It seem that we gotta leave at about 3-00 in the morning for a hike up the hill (getting dizzy just thinking about it) at dawn.....for what ever reason.

A quick "say hello"and its back down agin for a second visit to some wat near Klaeng to talk to some special monk. :o

From then hopefully it back to Bangers for a wednesday night session in the Londoner-Phai one-get One Flee.

So Question ...

Anyone from Chantaburi /Klaeng area know anything about this Mountain and where it is exactly.

Looking at a local map it could be somewhere around the Khao Sabap .N.P.or Wat Khao Sukim......................MKJ. :D

Sorry I have come up with ziltch.

Could it possibly be the Heavenly Cliff ?

"Other interesting sites in the park include Pha Sawan, the Heavenly Cliff, about 1.5 kilometres from the park headquarters serving as a vantage point for viewing; the Khlong Pla Kang Waterfall"

Thanks guys ....Got all this from wifie.

She is a smart cookie but very into her religion (me absolutely no objections-ex Altar boy - Commie etc.)and when I leave for work in the morning and if I have anything important on then gotta acknowledge the picture of Big Chang up on the wall "sawaddi krup"

If i whatever is a really really a big deal then her small in house presentation to Rama 5 includes for a fresh glass of Chivas,new flowers and some fruit. :o

She also seems to know a lot of the so called "top monks"that are knocking about Bangers and on our visits goes for a chat....which brings me to the mountain.

As said I dont have a name but will ask her again tonight and get a bit more of a direction.

It seems that this lump of rock is sitting on top of the mount/hill or what ever in suspended animation?????...gota see for myself....honestly no JOKE and is well known to the Thais but not to us (heatherns)

:D ....

There are lots of other things she appears to know about (like most Thais) but I could never discuss openly.....

Right just gave her a call...

It would seem that this mountain is not too far from Wat Khao Sukim.

Me: What do you mean not toooooo far...100meters-1 km--50kms...

Answer dont know its always dark when I go there :o

Anyway the nearest name I can decipher from it is......

Mount "Kid-Cha-Ku"............so anyone know ...Mount Kid Cha KU?

Further info suggests that its only open for roughly a month every year at Chinese Hogmany time and for a bit afterwards...and then shuts again.(what do you mean the mountains shut?..how can you shut a MOUNTAIN)

She has done the visit 4 times already and as we all know the magic Thai Number for big the badge with the oak leaves on it is a Niner.

Does she mean this

"Another popular point for visitors is the Chao Pho Khao Yai Shrine which attracts devotees during the Chinese New Year period. Uphill from the shrine is a Holy Footprint and a Chedi (pagoda) housing a holy Relic."

Problem is this is not Chantaburi it is in Chonburi

OK Found it.

"[ The Khao Khitchakut National Park ]

has its head quarters at a site which can be reached by taking a turning at Km. 324 (Khao Rai Ya intersection) on Highway No. 3 and proceed on for a further 21 kilometers.

The park covers a rich, verdant forestland of some 58 square kilometers where many herbal plants are found. It is also rich in wildlife. An attraction is the Krathing waterfall with its nature trails cutting through all 13 levels of the fall. There are clear ponds where swimming is possible.

Camping is allowed in the park. There are also accommodations for visitors who should make advance booking at the Forestry Department in Bangkok.

In addition, the park offers other attractions such as the Khlong Chang Se waterfall , which is 10 kilometers from the headquarters, where nature walk is possible. Others include Phra Bat Phluang, 5 kilometers from the headquarters, which is a natural geological occurrence creating a Holy Footprint-like depression on the hilltop, to which people come and pay homage during Makha Bucha celebrations."

Thanks guys ..this sure looks like it. :D

Khitchakut National Park

The much larger sanctuary does most of the nature protection whilst Khao Khitchakut National Park does the public relations. Because of the sanctuary, the park has much more wildlife than its small area can support alone but the park has the popular attractions to bring in the visitors into an area developed to accommodate them with minimum adverse natural impact.

The most popular sights are the beautiful 13 level waterfall of Namtok Krathing; the summit of Khao Phrabat, with an imprint of the foot of the Lord Buddha and fascinating rocks formed into an elephant, a turtle, a chedi and an upturned alms bowl worth the 4 hour walk to the top; and a impressive cave called Tham Ruesi, or Hermit's Cave, with a well called Bo Ya or Medicine Well, believed able to cure all sorts of diseases

Prabad Mountain:

the foot of the mountain is 16.5km from the headquarters. Then you have to walk the further 6.5km to the top. ..........WOt ......6.5 kms ..by foot :o

In February to March every year thousands of pilgrims walk to the top of the mountain to venerate what is said to be the footprints of the Lord Buddha.

On the mountain top are also rock formations in the shape of a pagoda, an upside down monk's alms bowl, a huge turtle and an elephant.(must be the big rock-rocks)

Krathing Water Fall One of the very beautiful waterfall in Khao Khitchakut National Park Tambon Phluang of Amphoe Makham. It is 30 kms. from Chanthaburi.

To get there, take Sukhumvit Road to km. 324 then turn left go about 21 kms. Located on top of Khao Khitchakut are imprints of Lord Buddha's foot and a very beautiful cave called "Tham Ruesi" (Hermit's Cave). In this cave there is a water-well called "Bo Ya" (medicine well).

The soil in the well has a yellow color. It is believed that the water can be used to cure some diseases. To get to the cave takes about 2 hours along a hiking trail.

Tourist can stay in the National park by calling 5794842, 5790529

http://www.thaiforestbooking.com/np_home.asp?npid=109&lg=2

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys ..this sure looks like it. :D

Khitchakut National Park

The most popular sights are the beautiful 13 level waterfall of Namtok Krathing; the summit of Khao Phrabat, with an imprint of the foot of the Lord Buddha and fascinating rocks formed into an elephant, a turtle, a chedi and an upturned alms bowl worth the 4 hour walk to the top; and a impressive cave called Tham Ruesi, or Hermit's Cave, with a well called Bo Ya or Medicine Well, believed able to cure all sorts of diseases

Prabad Mountain:

the foot of the mountain is 16.5km from the headquarters. Then you have to walk the further 6.5km to the top. ..........WOt ......6.5 kms ..by foot :o

In February to March every year thousands of pilgrims walk to the top of the mountain to venerate what is said to be the footprints of the Lord Buddha.

On the mountain top are also rock formations in the shape of a pagoda, an upside down monk's alms bowl, a huge turtle and an elephant.(must be the big rock-rocks)

Krathing Water Fall One of the very beautiful waterfall in Khao Khitchakut National Park Tambon Phluang of Amphoe Makham. It is 30 kms. from Chanthaburi.

To get there, take Sukhumvit Road to km. 324 then turn left go about 21 kms. Located on top of Khao Khitchakut are imprints of Lord Buddha's foot and a very beautiful cave called "Tham Ruesi" (Hermit's Cave). In this cave there is a water-well called "Bo Ya" (medicine well).

The http://www.thaiforestbooking.com/np_home.asp?npid=109&lg=2

50,000 Thai Chinese and Me :D

Just as a follow up to above i have just spent the day on the run (pilgrimage)up to the top of Mount Prabad and must say it was really GREAT.

It seems that the Thais are keeping the best for themselves and this is indeed a must see for anybody wanting a look into the beliefs and reasoning behind them.

Following a 3-00am start (never been up so early before)we headed down there and started going up about 9-00am after the compulsory food break (wife plus 3 mates)

This place incid is before the rather sad vacant looking entrance to mount Kitch national park with its farang RIP OFF pricing and no visitors....dont bother ....go in the back way :D

Following a ride up the first part on 2 lots on Son Teos (great fun -beats the 5555 bt buses ion Beach road ..but worth it)you gotta walk up as said.Its not for the faint hearted on Patti Bar beer belly lizards.......straight up...... :D

Will say more later..gotta run.

There is a very easy back way in as well if you go in from near the Krathing entrance just past the Rajmangkhla College and not from Makkam.

Its a 25KM hike as well so hats off to you!

Khao Kitchakut also has some of the best wildlife in Thailand.

Wat Khao Sukhim is also worth a visit if you have any energy left!

• 1 year later...

2 years ON...

Just heard that K Wife is off up that Bl**dy mountain again.....not that I tried to avoid it it this time ..of course ...just cant get out until this week....and will be too late....awww...

but you never seem to hear anything about it...?...yet half of the Chinese population of LOS seem to go there :D

...anyone else doing the hike?....its actually quite fun and DIFFERENT.....

...from 2005......

50,000 Thai Chinese and Me

Just as a follow up to above i have just spent the day on the run (pilgrimage)up to the top of Mount Prabad and must say it was really GREAT.

It seems that the Thais are keeping the best for themselves and this is indeed a must see for anybody wanting a look into the beliefs and reasoning behind them. :o