Analyze This

Eggmeng

I've lived in LOS for 15 years but I don't claim to be an expert on Thai ways. Here's one I sometimes wonder about.

Yesterday in the gym I asked one of the Thai members to give me a spot. (In gym parlance that means help lift the bar if it gets too heavy during a set.) I'm a relatively new member and don't know the others yet, so this was a pretty normal request. He said "Sure, if you need help just ask. Thai people are goodhearted."

Now I've lived in several countries and traveled quite a bit. I find that Thai people are approximately as good hearted as those I've met around the world. But only in Thailand have people made this comment to me after doing me a small service. It's happened many times.

I am not so cynical as to think it's done to place in juxtaposition the lack of kindness of non Thai people, i.e. "Thai people are goodhearted [unspoken subtext: not like some others we could mention!]"

Contrary to a common misconception, when Hamlet said "I think the lady doth protest too much," what he was saying was, why does this need to be proclaimed? What's behind it?

Do some Thai people believe that for some reason foreigners assume they are not good hearted, and feel they need to set the record straight? Do they want to render more services to foreigners and regret the fact that they don't get enough opportunities to share their nam jai?

He probably let you know, that Thai people are not bad hearted like foreigners could think about Thais because of the international bad media coverages of the airport closure and the red/yellow skirmish in Bangkok and the situation during the congress in Pattaya etc etc. A small promotion of the country with his short statement in times of financial and tourist crises. He did probably not mean, that Thai people are good hearted not like some others.

That would be the most logical explanation. :)

This is also what I have noticed, emphasizing that they have a good soul. I don;t know if this has to do with comparing with other nationalities or defending themselves because of how Thailand is shown by the media nowadays.

We are used to humble answers as "it's my pleasure", "de nada", "you are welcome"

Maybe we shouldn;t take this ("Thais are goodhearted") literally, but more linguistic and/ or cultural.

E.g.

When we have to think too hard, we say: I get a headache of this

I heard a Thai saying: I am getting a backache of this (he was bending slightly while thinking)

And you know, Thailand has this promo-sentence "land of smiles"

Don;t take this literally, I know more countries where people smile more than in Thailand.

Thailand is ok btw.

I have noticed this, too.

All cultures have a shared "self perception" of their own values (which may not always be in accord with real values or behaviours, just as is the case with individual people). Being "jai dee" or good hearted is, of course, one such Thai value.

It may simply be that this statement (in English or Thai?) has become standard as a form of welcome to foreigners.

"Welcome you to Thailand! We are very kind hearted!" :D Was this in BKK?

The way particular, different cultures in general view and interact with particular, different other cultures also has a considerable effect on the equation (& there lies "the rub" of intercultural interactions, of course ... the whole "beauty" of cultural misunderstanding is that we -- both parties -- are very often completely unaware that they are happening! With cultures as different as those that mix in Thailand, it's no wonder there are so many tales of the extraordinary. I can take it quite literally when people who have lived here for decades say they will never fully understand Thailand and its culture.)

However, I suspect foreigners from an array of cultures have heard this phrase.

Now I have a backache :) .

Edited by WaiWai

first of all, most thai say: dont think too much it gives u a headache (never ever heard anyone say back ache);

second: thai say naam jai/jai dee when talking among themselves as much as when they talk to us or about us... its the same as israelis automatically say: lev haam/mezeg haam (hot hearted/hot temperment) when we talk among ourselves, about ourselves and to foreigners... we usually say it when we helped someone on a bus/carry something heavy/bring food to someone's house etc. we always reply, "thank you, thats the way we are: warm/hot hearted"- even when among ourselves (and sometimes the understanding is unspoken, but not always, that we are more so then others like europeans/americans but its not always meant as the unspoken. mostly i see it as a reaffirmation of something we believe about ourselves as a culture.)

my own take on it anyway,

bina

israel

Okay, now that I have a few couple responses, I'll enlarge on this a bit.

I often hear Thais say "Thai people don't think that way." Or "Thai people this.." or "Thai people that..." Sometimes what follows is positive and sometimes negative. But there does seem to be this idea that who they are, what they think and what they do, all stems first and foremost from "being Thai" whatever that means. Not from being the daughter of Somchai who loved to laugh, or from having grown up in a farming family where we had to work too hard, or from living in a country with endless military coups, or even from being a Buddhist. It's all about "being Thai" which apparantly I guess, is supposed to explain everything.

BTW I think Thailand is okay too. I just find this stuff interesting.

maybe this is off point a little,

But a year or 2 ago, buying some mango wood products ( gifts for uk relatives ) i spoke english not thai in the bartering process, for a wine holder normally

costs 40-150bhtdepending on stalls, she starts at 1500 and wouldnt budge at 600.

she say's "im thai buddist i dont cheat at price!"

Nice!

maybe this is off point a little,

But a year or 2 ago, buying some mango wood products ( gifts for uk relatives ) i spoke english not thai in the bartering process, for a wine holder normally

costs 40-150bhtdepending on stalls, she starts at 1500 and wouldnt budge at 600.

she say's "im thai buddist i dont cheat at price!"

Nice!

So, did you buy out of the goodness of your heart? :)

To a great extent i believe this is a learned response (to foreigners) . I equate it to "The land of smile" as they say. Yes, I know the "s" is missing!

I believe they think they are really so much better than other nationalities. Or they have absolutely no concept of the fact that many, ney, most other nationalities are equal to, or better than the level of etiquette, politeness, helpfulness, friendliness or generosity Thai people possess.

In other words, I believe that they believe they have got the mortgage on the qualities abovementioned.