Wedding Reception In Udon Thani

rsn

Hello,

I'm looking to have a wedding reception in mid-January in Udon Thani. I haven't the foggiest idea how much this will cost, or how this compares to a wedding in the U.S. I expect there to be about 100 people. Questions:

1.) How much should I expect to spend... for the hall, the photographer, the videographer, etc?

2.) Does anyone have any recommendations from personal experience regarding reception halls, photographers, etc?

3.) How far in advance do I have to book everything?

My fiancee and I currently reside in the U.S. so we don't have the luxury of personally visiting locations or dealing with photogrpahers, etc in person.

Edited by rsn

I've never got married in Udon Thani but this page might help you decide a bit:

www.thailand-travel-help.com/udon-thani-hotel.html

There aren't a whole load of good hotels in the city like other places in Thailand.....if I had to choose a nice hotel to have it in (presuming they do weddings! - you can check their websites on the site) i'd go for.....

Ban Chiang Hotel, (number 17 on the list)

or the Centara Hotel and Convention Center Udon Thani (formerly the Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel), right in the center of town. That's number 4 on the list.

Try and contact these hotels for advice on booking, photographers etc......they really are probably the 2 best places in town, aside from a place specifically geared to weddings, but i don't have a clue about these!

Good Luck, hope you have a nice wedding day :)

Hello,

I'm looking to have a wedding reception in mid-January in Udon Thani. I haven't the foggiest idea how much this will cost, or how this compares to a wedding in the U.S. I expect there to be about 100 people. Questions:

1.) How much should I expect to spend... for the hall, the photographer, the videographer, etc?

2.) Does anyone have any recommendations from personal experience regarding reception halls, photographers, etc?

3.) How far in advance do I have to book everything?

My fiancee and I currently reside in the U.S. so we don't have the luxury of personally visiting locations or dealing with photogrpahers, etc in person.

Ban Chang Hotel is a bit "passed-it", heres another alternative just outside of city:

http://www.nakhaburi.com/index_en.html

Will you be having the Thai ceremony also? like in this photo of wedding in village?

845131.b8cbd53e.560.jpg

"Tying The Knot - An Issan Wedding"

... At 8 am in the morning on the wedding day, the groom accompanied by drums and Khaen, do this walk-around parade in the village, the party will stop at the brides house, and then these old women will bargain with the groom to allow entry to see his bride !!! ....

Edited by jerrylee

Seconded about the Nakaburi. I always stay there if I go to Udon for a long weekend or the like. A lot better value and a lot cleaner than some of the city centre places.

Yes,the Nakaburi is very nice.It has a decent pool and private chalets for accomodation as well as the main hotel block rooms.Its about 17 kilometres from the centre of Udon on the road to Nong Khai.

Another alternative would be the Charoen Hotel.Its about 5 minutes walk from the town centre and seems to regularly cater for weddings.We've eaten at both the inside and outdoor restaurants at this hotel and both the thai and farang food was delicious.

I seem to recall the rooms in the hotel block at the Nakaburi were about 700 baht a night with a breakfast. Good value. Clean, aircon, fairly new.

The Charoen had a very good value buffet lunch I remember.

Edited by mca

If your intended is Thai and you would be providing a Sin Sod then custom is for the brides parents to pay for everything from this :)

customs seem to vary from village to village so this is not necessarily true. there are no hard and fast rules to sin sods, nothing written on stone tablets. Let's leave it at that since this is not a thread about sin sods and there are plenty of other long-drawn out threads on this site discussing sin sods ad nauseam.

If your intended is Thai and you would be providing a Sin Sod then custom is for the brides parents to pay for everything from this :)

customs seem to vary from village to village so this is not necessarily true. there are no hard and fast rules to sin sods, nothing written on stone tablets. Let's leave it at that since this is not a thread about sin sods and there are plenty of other long-drawn out threads on this site discussing sin sods ad nauseam.

Merely stating that the OP does not need to worry about cost as it is up to the Brides parents to pay for the wedidng, that is the custom in Thailand, same as most western cultures...

Merely stating that the OP does not need to worry about cost as it is up to the Brides parents to pay for the wedidng, that is the custom in Thailand, same as most western cultures...

"the custom"? No, it isn't. As I already stated, customs, especially regarding weddings vary from village to village and also depend upon the situation in Thailand.

Thats interesting to know, all the weddings I have been to, and it is only 6 but 1 in Trang, 1 in Samui, 1 in BKK, 1 in Surin, 1 in Udon and 1 in Buriram, the parents of the bride paid for everything..maybe because it was Thai-Thai???

Agree with posters above. Centara and Ban Chiang are past their shelf life.

Haven't been to the Baan Nakaa resort but it looks nice from the highway.

Correspondence with the hotel will provide you with a per-person cost for food.

For a crowd of 100, I recommend an open bar with a capped amount. Only offer cheap beer and cheap whiskey.

Expect 95% of the guests to leave immediately after the cap is reached.

They'll likely have a donation box set up so guests can dump in a few bucks (as a rough gauge, donations received will pay for the food).

Hotel can usually arrange flowers, a hairdresser for the missus, table arrangements and small gift for each guest (traditional)

Don't forget to order a shaman/medicine man/monk/tessaban high priest to officiate. He'll require an envelope with a few purples and a bottle of JWB.

Good luck.

Edited by Texpat

• 3 months later...
I seem to recall the rooms in the hotel block at the Nakaburi were about 700 baht a night with a breakfast. Good value. Clean, aircon, fairly new.

The Charoen had a very good value buffet lunch I remember.

I really love the buffet lunch at the CHAROEN, but the rooms are tiny and in a sad state and overpriced for what u usually can get in Udon.