Looking For A Good Hotel

Suzyy

Hi Guys,

My name is Suzy and I'm very new to this forum. This year August we are going to Thailand :D For 9 nights. We decided to stay 5 in Bangkok at 4 in Phuket. If anyone finds a while would be very appreciated to hear about some good but not to expensive hotels in Bangkok of course in shopping center, I mean so that we don't have to use taxis so much... and don't have to walk like hours. Maybe you have checked out some hotels which you can recommend ?!

Oh... and maybe you do know some good web sites where we can book hotels, as far as I looked I found booking dott com as a very good site, is it?

kind regards :)

A pretty decent place on Sukhumvit Soi 11 is the Federal Hotel for around B 1400 per night. They have a pool and grest restrauant and a short walk from the sky train and subway. Pretty lively area. www.federalbangkok.com for hotel details.

I think if you google "hotels in Bangkok" you will come up with lots of info.

I think the place sing-traz is talking about is the Reno Hotel on Soi Kasemsan 1 near Jim Thompson House very near the National Stadium BTS Station. It's definitely within your budget and also very near to lots of shopping as you requested. The rooms are rather spartan however. Here is their website: Reno Hotel.

Another option is the Suk 11 Hostel. The rooms here are also fairly simple but the place has great atmosphere and is located near lots of restaurants and couple-friendly nightlife. (There is also a lot of male oriented nightlife nearby but Suk 11 strickly prohibits that.) Here's their website: Suk 11

As Spaniel has already mentioned the Federal Hotel is usually not a bad option. The place has a great pool and is near all the same restaurants and bars as is Suk 11. Unfortunately, there is a new condo building going up next door right now and in Bangkok construction noise can go on 24 hours a day. For that reason ask for one of the rooms on the second floor overlooking the pool. They are the furthest away from the construction. Here's their site: Federal Hotel

Cozy at 10 is a newer small hotel directly across the street (Sukhumvit Soi 10) from Chuwit Park. Clean modern rooms near both Asoke and Nana BTS Stations. Their site: Cozy at 10

The Honey Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 19 has recently remodled their rooms located above the pool facing Soi 19. These rooms (even numbers 206 thru 214 and 306 thru 314) are a good deal at 1350 Baht a night. Insist on one of these rooms however because the older unremodled rooms reek of cigarette smoke and are very worn out. Good WiFi connection. Honey Hotel's site:Honey Hotel

Edited by Groongthep

Hi Guys,

My name is Suzy and I'm very new to this forum. This year August we are going to Thailand :D For 9 nights. We decided to stay 5 in Bangkok at 4 in Phuket. If anyone finds a while would be very appreciated to hear about some good but not to expensive hotels in Bangkok of course in shopping center, I mean so that we don't have to use taxis so much... and don't have to walk like hours. Maybe you have checked out some hotels which you can recommend ?!

Oh... and maybe you do know some good web sites where we can book hotels, as far as I looked I found booking dott com as a very good site, is it?

Hello Suzy... if there are a few of you and you don't mind an 80 baht taxi ride to Sukhumvit if that's where you want to go then I'd suggest the Atrium hotel in Ratchada. Modern, clean rooms and a real nice piano bar near the pool (small so better to sit around rather than swim). I believe they were on latestays at 1000 baht per night just recently. Good value for Bangkok. 7-11 next door. I should mention it is just off a main drag but some taxi drivers have some problems finding it so I always get the number and either have the driver call or I call the front desk and they are happy to provide directions in Thai to the driver. I'd recommend doing this with many venues when traveling Thailand.

Edited by losworld

Hi Suzzy,

take a look at the Darjeeling Boutique hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 18. I stayed there last week and paid 1,650 Bhat per night - approximately 35 Euro's per night. It is a really nice hotel with a new, trendy feel to it. It has a small indoor dip pool and the rooms are very, very nice.

Only a 2 minute walk to the BTS (overhead tram system) that will take you to Siam (the main shopping area) for 30 Baht a trip.

Well recommended.

Alternatively have a look at asiarooms.com or thaihoteldiscounts.com

Have a great time in Bangkok

Hi Guys,

Hi Suzy, Having looked at many hotels and areas in BKK I would recommend the Astera Sathorn on South Sathorn Road, www.asterasathorn.com, great location, cooler than most areas as is very close to river, very clean, friendly, nice swimming pool, gym, steam, sauna, room service with good thai food, down the street towards the Saphan Taksin BTS 2min walk it has good thai street food in a shop (she cooks on the street, but you sit inside, menu with english, you can also takeaway, each dish about 30-40Bht), hairdressers, barbers, laundry which is cheaper than the hotel.

Also 2 mins to the following: BTS Saphan Taksin (30 Bht each gets you to Siam, the centre of all shopping), at weekends get the BTS to Sala Dang and then take the MRT to JJ Market (better as the MRT takes station is right in the market so less to walk when you have bought all the nice bargins!, Chao Phraya River and river taxis to take you to Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, Koh San Road, China Town, anywhere along the river at 13 Bht each. Wat Yannawa, beautiful with boat in centre. Bangrak night bazaar, small but okay for some shopping. Robinsons department store, normal shopping with good basic food court on top floor, ground floor supermarket, Black Canyon Coffee and Food, MK Suki. Outside it has KFC, McD, Pizza. Loads of street food around Robinsons and very good massage on the 2nd Floor, near the toilets called Chabi Massage and Spa. Could go on and on, hope this helps, if you need any more info, just let me know. Have a great trip.

Edited by CinnamonRoll

Hi Guys,

Marriott Courtyard Bangkok and any Courtyard property in Phuket are a great place to stay, inexpensive, clean, nearly brand-new and top service.

marriott.com

sign up for reward points, and before you know it, you'll earn free stays. I personally earn 2-3 weeks per year in free stays with them.

lastly, if you know anyone in Thailand, call JW Marriott in Bangkok, and buy a Marriott Gold Card (but you have to have a Thai address to send it to). It costs about 7500 THB but gives you preferential rates and half price off food at any Marriott property in Thailand and around Asia.

Marriott Courtyard Bangkok and any Courtyard property in Phuket are a great place to stay, inexpensive, clean, nearly brand-new and top service.

marriott.com

sign up for reward points, and before you know it, you'll earn free stays. I personally earn 2-3 weeks per year in free stays with them.

lastly, if you know anyone in Thailand, call JW Marriott in Bangkok, and buy a Marriott Gold Card (but you have to have a Thai address to send it to). It costs about 7500 THB but gives you preferential rates and half price off food at any Marriott property in Thailand and around Asia.

Marriott properties are indeed nice but in post #4 Suzyy said her budget was 200 Euros for 5 nights. Thats about 1880 Baht a night at todays exchange rate (47 Baht to the Euro). I doubt if she can find a room at a marriott property for that price.

Edited by Groongthep