Smaller/bright/modern/clean/boutique Hotels In Cm?

schmutzie

Looking for a central place to stay for a week in late July w/ Thai GF

I don't like the big hotels, so looking for something smaller and "homely" (by which I don't mean shit-brown carpets and beige everywhere) and - very important - with working WiFi and safe in rooms. Oh, and the GF def needs her telly fix.

I like Drop-Inn in BKK (nice staff, slightly back off main road, simple and clean interior) - something similar perhaps?

I have no idea about prices, but considering it ain't BKK I would think 1000 baht per night max.

Anyone have recommendations? Will look myself and post what I find.

Although I am not familiar with either place I can tell you that the location is good and central on both. I have found that places in Thailand that take tight photos rather than wide views end up being quite small but that seems to be what you want anyway. Neither is a "Hotel". Both are guesthouses but again they seem to have everything you want. 3 Sis is close to Sunday walking street so if you will be in CM on a Sunday you might choose that one as your GF (and you) would probabaly enjoy seeing the Sunday street market.

Hi,

The Baan Hanibah has a good location, on quiet Moon Muang Soi 8 street inside the most...it looks attractive from the outside.....the 3 Sis Bed and Breakfast is close to Phra Pok Klao Road which can get a bit busy. Both hotels are inside the central moat so they're close to places like the night bazaar and near temples such as Wat Chedi Luang.

Places that I really like....:

Baan Klang Vieng - for 1,000 baht, you can get a very nice room - inside the moat (central)

Elliebum Guesthouse - inside the moat (central) - lovely friendly owner

Rachamanka Flora House - inside the moat (central) - same owner as above

The Nest Hotel - to the west of the moat.....a bit of a walk - amazing rooms

Baan Say-La Guest House - to the west of the moat...again, great looking rooms, room with a hammock and balcony looks v.nice.

The 5 places I mentioned are all small hotels - i think all of them have less than 10 rooms, some just 5 or so.....

To find out more, including a map, photos of the hotels and rooms, websites etc, visit this page.....you won't have to spend too long looking for them:

www.thailand-travel-help.com/chiang-mai-thailand.html

All the rooms have TV...pretty certain they all have wifi too

Have a nice time :)

We recently stopped at The Castle Guesthouse @800bht low season it is the best value accommodation we ave used in Chiang Mai. Less than a year old spotlessly clean, run by a very smart young Thai lady. Drinks are at 7/11 prices and laundry same same street price @30baht/Kg.

It is not quite central, but only 10 minutes walk from Loi Kroh road. We will be back at Xmas.

www.thecastlerajchiangsan.com

my parents stayed at the bodhi serene boutique hotel about a year ago, near to the rose guest house , they loved it,and have booked to stay again http://boutique-hotel-chiangmai.com/ not sure how much it was, big flat screen tv for your gf, near to sunday market, also nice pool on the roof

The OP said that he was looking for a rate of 1,000 baht max. Bodhi Serene is indeed a lovely place and very centrally located, but it is also about 5-15 times the OP's desired price level :)

/ Priceless

There is plenty of choice in Chiang Mai - its worth checking out tripadvisor

My personal recommendation is Ban Kong Rao Guesthouse (bankongrao.com) - very friendly staff, great atmosphere, good food and the rooftop terrace has nice views of Doi Suthep.

The price is around 800 baht for a superior room in low season

Sri Pat in the old city is as good as it gets. And don't let the affordable price fool you. its better than most places x2 the price (including a bigger boutique hotel on the same street which does charge x2 the price and is a complete dump inside the rooms)

An above poster also mentioned The Castle, which is also stellar, though a little less central.

actually, right now if you book on agoda.com you can get bodhi serene for about 2300 (so just over double what op wants to spend). if you play the website right, you can get a last minute special for your first two days and pay around 1500.

for about the same price you can stay in the sirilanna, which i am liking much better (just moved today after a week in the bodhi serene and negotiated for 2200)

here's my question: i have looked at tons of websites of nicer guest houses and boutique hotels, but haven't been able to find anything with all of the following:

inside the walls

bathtub

wifi

under 1500

it seems that most of the cool, trendy, nice guesthouses don't have bathtubs. or does anyone know of one that does?

WOW - I just want to say a big thanks for all the replies - expected such a post to be largely ignored.

I'm pleased to see there's plenty of choice in CM. Looks like the problem will actually be to make decision...!

I'm reluctant to go above 1000baht simply because will be moving more permanently soon and throwing money

at hotels, even nice ones, just seems like such a waste. Still, like to be comfy. Thanks again.