Extension Based On Study

Hi..... I'm reaching the end of my second extension based on marriage to a Thai, my original non-imm visa was an Education visa. I've been applying for these marriage extensions using my wife's income because i'm attending university and not working. I'm struggling to come up with the 400, 000 baht to comply with the new extension rules, so i'd like to go back to my education visa/extension.

My questions are:

1. Do i need to leave the country to apply for another visa?

2. Can i change my extension from based on marriage to based on education?

3. If so, What documents will i need?

4. I live in Pathum Thani, where would be the best place to apply? i'm thinking Ayutthaya

Thanx in advance

1 and 2 maybe, but try to go form marriage to education first. They might allow it. Normaly it isn't a problem, but with educational visas there seem to be different rules.

3. Your educational institution should know which documents to give you.

Note that for this year only, immigration has the discretion to allow you to extend based on the rules of last year, so based on your wife's income. It is a discretion they have, so they don't have to do it, but it is a real option. Especialy if you can show some money in the bank already.

The same as for the other 2 extensions you did, only the income rules changed.

The 400,000 have to be proven with an updated bankbook and a letter from your bank. Get this letter the day before you go to immigration or the same day. bankbook update an letter have to be very recent.

Note that the money in the bank has to be there for at least 2 months before you apply for the extension.

Thanks alot for the quick replies.....

but about the documents, i used to apply based on my wife's income, so i needed all her work related documents....like a letter from her company, plus a doc. stating her income, and her income tax doc (always a pain in the ass to get). Since i'll no longer be using her income as a basis of staying, do i still need those documents?

Secondly, i plan on applying at the Ayutthaya office. What's the time ruling there for length of time for money in the bank?

Thanks alot for the quick replies.....

but about the documents, i used to apply based on my wife's income, so i needed all her work related documents....like a letter from her company, plus a doc. stating her income, and her income tax doc (always a pain in the ass to get). Since i'll no longer be using her income as a basis of staying, do i still need those documents?

Secondly, i plan on applying at the Ayutthaya office. What's the time ruling there for length of time for money in the bank?

Not sure about the time ruling. However, you can always can get an extension of stay for 60 days based on the fact that you are married to a Thai national and apply for a 1 year extension at the end of those extra 60 days.

Okay....my current extension expires Sept 23, meaning i only have 2 months with 400 000 baht in my account. This is not long enough, so what's next??? Mario2008 mentioned something about applying for an extra 60 days,

How does that work and what doc. are needed???

They might jsut extend you, with the money there for only 2 months. So take everything you need for the extension. if they exist on getting the 60 day extension you will have everything you need with you. (Basicly you need your marriage certificate for a 60 day extension and not much else, especialy when your wife is going with you).