Petchaboon, What To Do? Where To Stay?

stevehaigh

it's me again! i'm visiting my TGFs home town in petchaboon in a couple of weeks and want to see some cool stuff, like the moutains in Khao Kho. I see adds for the

Imperial Phukaew Hill Resort but that's a little spendy for a Khie Nieow like myself.

Can anyone recommend a nice place in the mountains for about 500 bhat?

Also, any cool things to do or see?

thanks, steve

it's me again! i'm visiting my TGFs home town in petchaboon in a couple of weeks and want to see some cool stuff, like the moutains in Khao Kho. I see adds for the

Imperial Phukaew Hill Resort but that's a little spendy for a Khie Nieow like myself.

Can't speak for anything to the north of town. For staying in town, I've stayed at the Kosit Hill Hotel on the south side, right on the main road. Possibly considered expensive by Thai standards, but relatively inexpensive by western standards (somewhere around 1500-2000 ThB per night IIRC). It is a nice place, with air con, and a nice restaurant and bar. IIRC, you can set up a reservation with the hotel via e-mail. Just do a web search for Kosit Hill Phetchabun and you will get several links.

Don't remember anything specific about things to do in the town, except there are bars, ATMs, and internet cafe's all over the place. It is a pretty good sized town, probably 50k-100k people or more.

The mountains are quite scenic, though a word of advice to be careful when driving up and down. On those twisty roads, the thought of staying in one's lane is quite the alien concept. If you come upon a blind turn, then slow down because someone maybe across the line just around the corner.

It's definitely worth driving the extra hour to Nam Nao National Park. More mountains, more jungle, more animals. Camping and nice bungalows available at the park headquarters.

Khao khor is worth a visit, but a bit deforested. On one of the approach roads in there is a place where it tells you to stop and put the car in neutral. The car then backs up the hill for about 30 meters. Got to be seen to be believed !

thanks, steve

The Burapa hotel in the city centre is good, about 400 baht per night, night club in the hotel and snooker room, not far from the mountains, but it depends on if you intend staying near your tgf,s or not. Which village is she from?

thanks, steve

Steve

In Lom Sak (40km N of Phetchabun town) try the Grand Hotel Nattirat on Highway 203 to Loei for 695 baht/night. Closest 'posh' hotel to Nam Nao NP and a good base for Khao Kho, Phu Hin Rongkla and Thung Salaeng. If you want details of the caves or some trekking in the northern end of Nam Nao NP drop me a personal message.

I'll be in Lom Sak from Sonkhran until end April. Guess you will have left the area by then? If you are still about I'd be happy to act as a guide to the caves or for some trekking.

• 1 month later...

I have also stayed in the Kosit Hill Hotel. Only about 2 weeks ago i was there.

I thought it was a lovely hotel and was hardly anyone staying there at that time.

I paid 1100baht a night. Close to town. I recommend it if you will be in that area.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been to Nam Nao Park recently with a couple of friends. The park is beautiful with a good campground. You can get all the camping equipment you need at the site. Cool! Plus they have small Thai restaurants, cheap and good food.

If you wanna know more, I've got a report about the trip on my website. :o You'll also find lots of photos from the park. It's at http://travelsite.free.dnes.de/Travel/Thai...boon/index.html

Have a good trip anyway...

:D

salapao