10,000 Baht Or I Go To The Police

G54

Thats a shitty situation, though I didnt think westerns style rape laws were in place in Thailand?

I know that in Europe, the number of claimed rapes that turn out to be fake makes up the majority. This has made the police very skeptical of such claims.

If a girl goes to your room at night after having visited a nightclub, I doubt any Thai judge would ever accept it as rape. Remember guys, good girls stay home here (or so they should?).

There must be more to this story than we're told.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A male Thai friend of my g/f has been on the phone a lot today seeking some solace and also venting his spleen.

He went out to a club in Nakhonsawan, got a bit worse for wear on the whiskey and got himself tapped up by a female. He took her home to his place after he club closed and they had sex.

In the morning she demanded 10,000 Baht. When he laughed and said 'No.', she then told him she would go to the police and have him arrested if he did not pay up. He refused, seeing no reason to pay her anything for consensual sex.

That was when she dropped the bombshell. Telling him she is only 16 years old. Proving it by showing him her ID card.

He did not have more than 2,000 Baht and offered her that.

She refused it and duly went to the police. The police arrested him and took him to the police station for having sex with an under-age girl.

After a lot of haggling the girl settled for a payment of 8,000 Baht.

I have seen a photo of this female and have a copy of her picture on my computer. She looks at least 20 years old to me and also to my g/f.

If I had been in the same situation and a night of passion had been on offer, I doubt I would have turned her away or asked for her ID.

She was in a club where the minimum age limit is 20 years to enter. And as I have said she looks a lot older than she really is.

This could have happened to many of us, never mind a Thai man. The consequences for a 'Farang' would, I believe, be a lot worse than an 8,000 Baht fine.

So it maybe a good idea to take care and check the ages of some of these younger ladies. You never know who might have their eye on a few thousand Baht or a lot more.

Sorry, but this story doesn’t make sense.

The guy knowingly or not, (ignorance is not a defence under the law) paid for sex with a 16 year old girl, which is a criminal offence in Thailand.

He was subsequently arrested by the police for having paid sex with a minor.

Then he paid 8000 baht to the underage prostitute and the police let him go and was not charged? So it seems in this post.

Being as this was a criminal offence, the police would have to charge him under the law, the guy would be required to attend court and perhaps jailed until the court date.

According to the post, the girl was fully aware that she was an illegal underage sex worker, therefore I doubt if she would have wanted to bring this fact to the attention of the police, plus create problems for the club, who are perhaps her employer.

Like many of the threads by this poster, I find this story equally difficult to believe.

Edited by sassienie

The guy knowingly or not, (ignorance is not a defence under the law) paid for sex with a 16 year old girl, which is a criminal offence in Thailand.

Where did it say that? Did i miss something?

Also, is paying for sex illegal? Prostitution is though.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Then he paid 8000 baht to the underage prostitute and the police let him go and was not charged? So it seems in this post.

Being as this was a criminal offence, the police would have to charge him under the law, the guy would be required to attend court and perhaps jailed until the court date.

That is hilarious. Are you suggesting that all criminal charges in Thailand go to court? That the Thai police follow the law to the letter? :)

Most small charges like this are settled at the station with the police helping negotiate the fine.

Wouldn't the girl and the club be in trouble for her being underage?

Unfortunately there is tea money for that too. There are several places which regularly get busted for having 17 year old's (often 50-60 of them) working there but they never get shut down permanently.

:)

If males over the age of 30 are wondering whether the age of consent is 15 or 18, they have some bigger issues to deal with. yea, yea, I know. You Lotharios are just so irresistible that someone 18 or thereabouts can't keep her hands off of you. MMkay. As much as I would like to be sympathetic, the ick factor comes into play here, and this is just way too creepy. Maybe the guy got scammed, but I'm not about to lose sleep over a 32 year old that thinks it's ok to pick up a tramp that looks barely legal. If he wants to romp around with the hooker segment then those are the consequences. And if a 32 year old man has a strong lust for teenage girls, then maybe he should consider visiting a therapist.

I think the following scenario should be modified for accuracy as per the italics;

Girl:"I have a confession to make, I am actually 16 year old and am HIV+, just like the estimated 30-40% of teenage sex trade workers in Bangkok.I also like to use Yaba, so if the cops catch me, I'll just stick it in your pocket."

Guy:"I have a confession too, I have herpes and have a subnormal IQ. ."

For farangs it is advisable to stick to the age of consent in your own country to avoid being charged with underage sex while abroad...

Crikey, I wouldn't follow that thinking if I were from Espana or Cloggland!

Let's see the PHOTO then.

We can have a vote to see weather she looks legal or not!

We will know to steer clear if we see her when we're out too.

I doubt very much the MODS would be happy if I did post her photo on an open forum. I am not even sure if it would be legal or not.

Then there has to be some sort of privacy.

If anyone wants to see the photo I would send it to them under condition it is not used on the internet or for other nefarious purposes.

Where did it say that? Did i miss something?

Also, is paying for sex illegal? Prostitution is though.

I did not say he paid for sex anywhere in my posts. I did say she was blackmailing him and when he refused to pay was when she went to the police. The police made him pay 8,000 Baht and then no further action would be taken against him.

A male Thai friend of my g/f has been on the phone a lot today seeking some solace and also venting his spleen.

He went out to a club in Nakhonsawan, got a bit worse for wear on the whiskey and got himself tapped up by a female. He took her home to his place after he club closed and they had sex.

In the morning she demanded 10,000 Baht. When he laughed and said 'No.', she then told him she would go to the police and have him arrested if he did not pay up. He refused, seeing no reason to pay her anything for consensual sex.

That was when she dropped the bombshell. Telling him she is only 16 years old. Proving it by showing him her ID card.

She refused it and duly went to the police. The police arrested him and took him to the police station for having sex with an under-age girl.

I have seen a photo of this female and have a copy of her picture on my computer. She looks at least 20 years old to me and also to my g/f.

If I had been in the same situation and a night of passion had been on offer, I doubt I would have turned her away or asked for her ID.

She was in a club where the minimum age limit is 20 years to enter. And as I have said she looks a lot older than she really is.

This could have happened to many of us, never mind a Thai man. The consequences for a 'Farang' would, I believe, be a lot worse than an 8,000 Baht fine.

So it maybe a good idea to take care and check the ages of some of these younger ladies. You never know who might have their eye on a few thousand Baht or a lot more.

Sorry, but this story doesn’t make sense.

According to the post, the girl was fully aware that she was an illegal underage sex worker, therefore I doubt if she would have wanted to bring this fact to the attention of the police, plus create problems for the club, who are perhaps her employer.

Like many of the threads by this poster, I find this story equally difficult to believe.

Not so strange to believe i know the younger sister of my gf had sex with a guy when she was 14 or so. Then mother wanted compensation or else she would go to the police. She got compensation (not sure about the amount). So no i am not really surprised. The only difference in this case was that the girl herself demanded compensation and it sounds more like a scam.

By the way i dont condone the actions of MIL and find it crazy but im not going to change her just ignore her is better.

It's not just the farangs who have to watch out for this, as the OP's story points out. Heres' another recent one from my wife's village just a few weeks ago. A Thai male (about 24yr old) takes a girl back to her parents house. They have sex (it's not clear whether the parents were at home at the time or not). The next day, the mother rings up the lads' parents and demands 5000 baht or she's going to the police. There's a huge hullabaloo to the point that my brother-in-law (a friend of the lad concerned) is on the phone asking my wife what he should do (no, you cynics, there was no suggestion I cough up the money!). Later that day, the lad and his family (and my brother-in-law, his wife and their infant kid for good measure) all go round with the money, gifts and lots of wais. Village peace is restored.

I couldn't make head nor tail of this story when my wife told it to me - 'why didn't they just say 'fine! here's my phone, go ahead and call the cops', I said. I couldn't see what he had to fear until I read the posts above. I'm now guessing that the girl must have been in the 16-17 yr age range. As was pointed out above, if the locals fall for this sort of scam, the foreigners had better be doubly on their guard!!

A guy in Pattaya got hit up for this big time but it was some of her "family" I think who put the frighteners on. 300k I believe ?

What would I do ? Difficult situation I'd say. However, something gives it away. Her demand for 10k would have jumped up to perhaps 20k had the police not been involved and you went to the police station. Of course, in this incident, I'll bet they were in on it or knew about her and this scam.

From wikipedia:

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 (with the below caveat) as specified by article 279 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation, although it is a common misconception that it applies only to women.[citation needed]

However parts of the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act which disallow any sexual contact with prostitutes under the age of 18, are widely interpreted by some local authorities to cover sexual acts classed as "obscenity for personal gratification". Also from the Penal Code Amendment Act of 1997 Section 283bis, having sex with a child under 18 is a compoundable offense even with the consent of that person. The parent or the child may file charges against the other side if he or she later regrets his or her own action. This ostensibly makes the Thai unfettered age of consent 18.

A high profile example of this application of the law was a statutory rape charge filed against the lead singer of the Thai band Big Ass for allegedly having had sex with a (then) 16 year old girl. The charge was filed by the girl after the singer refused to take responsibility for her baby. The singer has since been cleared of being the baby's father due to the results of a paternity test and he received 2 years suspended sentence.

The fact is that you have no case unless you could magically find out that she was over 18 and it was all a bluff. It was a scam for sure but how far you risk it I don't know in trying to argue the toss. If you had a really good Thai friend and I mean a real friend, then you could perhaps make some headway but you may well be banged up in the meanwhile. Is that worth it ?

The bone head was warned. You guys know thai rules.......leave the area, for a few days or weeks. Get a room somewhere else. The Thais loose focus lazer like. If the dummy isn't there to scam..........well who's next? :)

<br />Something similar happened to a friend in the UK. He got talking to a girl in a night club, dolled up to the nines as we say. Introduced him to her "older sister". He took the girl home and they had sex. A few days later a knock on his door, and it's the police. She was 15. Needless to say it went to court, the sister was her mother. In court the girl turns up in her school uniform. Luckily for my friend, the judge looked at the mother, then the girl.<br />"I can imagine looking at you madam, how your daughter was dressed that night. You sir have been an idiot." He was given a conditional discharge<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would assume that was a male judge?

Imagine it was one of those feminists?

You mate would be labeled a peado and on the sex register.

<br />Something similar happened to a friend in the UK. He got talking to a girl in a night club, dolled up to the nines as we say. Introduced him to her "older sister". He took the girl home and they had sex. A few days later a knock on his door, and it's the police. She was 15. Needless to say it went to court, the sister was her mother. In court the girl turns up in her school uniform. Luckily for my friend, the judge looked at the mother, then the girl.<br />"I can imagine looking at you madam, how your daughter was dressed that night. You sir have been an idiot." He was given a conditional discharge<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I find it impossible to believe that story is true or completely accurate. If it was in the UK, the only issues to be settled would be her age and whether they had sex. If both of those points were undisputed by the defendant or proven by the prosecution, the judge would have no choice but to sentence him to imprisonment and put him on the sex offenders register. There's no room in British law for extenuating circumstances in the case of a minor, neither is ignorance a defence under British law.

Edited by SoftWater

<br /><br /><br />

I find it impossible to believe that story is true or completely accurate. If it was in the UK, the only issues to be settled would be her age and whether they had sex. If both of those points were undisputed by the defendant or proven by the prosecution, the judge would have no choice but to sentence him to imprisonment and put him on the sex offenders register. There's no room in British law for extenuating circumstances in the case of a minor, neither is ignorance a defence under British law.

I thought it sounded far to practical and sensible coming from an Old Codger who call themselves Judges, in the UK.

Dave

Sorry, but this story doesn't make sense.

Then sassiene you live in a different world altogether.

Here we see all sorts of things happen around us and it certainly opens the eyes a lot to how Thai life can be.

The Police did not have to charge him. How often do we see offences committed by people and they are not charged but asked - or made to - pay compensation instead?

She was in fact a customer and not an employee. There are many clubs and pubs in Thailand that flout the law regarding age and if you see it differently, fine.

And where do you get the idea he paid for sex? I did not mention he paid for sex with this female. I mentioned consensual sex. Big difference. Maybe you ought to read the original post correctly.

"A male Thai friend of my g/f has been on the phone a lot today seeking some solace and also venting his spleen....He went out to a club in Nakhonsawan, got a bit worse for wear on the whiskey and got himself tapped up by a female. He took her home to his place after he club closed and they had sex....In the morning she demanded 10,000 Baht....After a lot of haggling the girl settled for a payment of 8,000 Baht."

I bet the farang price would have been a lot more than that. But just like farangs, he blames the alcohol, the environment, the girl, the police...everyone except himself.

Here we see all sorts of things happen around us and it certainly opens the eyes a lot to how Thai life can be.

The Police did not have to charge him. How often do we see offences committed by people and they are not charged but asked - or made to - pay compensation instead?

She was in fact a customer and not an employee. There are many clubs and pubs in Thailand that flout the law regarding age and if you see it differently, fine.

And where do you get the idea he paid for sex? I did not mention he paid for sex with this female. I mentioned consensual sex. Big difference. Maybe you ought to read the original post correctly.

So what you are saying is; the police arrested this man and assisted this girl with her blackmailing demands for money for her participation in an illegal activity.

Sorry pal, as I said eariler, this story still doesn`t make sense.

The best part of the thread is the opening five words,

"A male friend of mine"

Sure G54, sure. :D So now uve done it, spent some time with the BIB and parted with some serious cash for 5 minutes of glory....or was that 4? :)

5 minutes? I hate show offs.

So what you are saying is; the police arrested this man and assisted this girl with her blackmailing demands for money for her participation in an illegal activity.

There is many more stories stranger than that and true.

My daughter tells me of many, Which if it was not for her telling me i would not believe.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, That is fact anyone wants to dispute that. Try adding one more brain cell to the two you already have.

Edited by cyborg22

-----------------------------------------------------------

yes this seems to be a common scam from thaigirls. I am living up here in Chaiyaphum and one of our neighbours is the "talk of the town" here...

This young girl has been at least two different times involved with falangs, and both times ended up with moneypayment to her family. It seems here that mama/papa is involved too sad to say.

These &lt;deleted&gt; lives just here and noone of us falang would even consider to enter their premises even though she now have a found a falang....

No sir! I never go near that house!!!!

Glegolo

<br /><br /><br />

I thought it sounded far to practical and sensible coming from an Old Codger who call themselves Judges, in the UK.

Dave

The judge does not have to give a custodial sentence, the sentence is entirely up to him providing he does not exceed the maximum sentence, a too low sentence can be appealed by the prosecution to get it increased.

Going back to the late 80's early 90's there was a defence that if you met her in a bar and she looked over 16 for example then you would be cautioned rather than charged, I am not sure about this now but I am sure the sentence is at the discretion of the judge. With a girl under 13 it is statutory rape as she can not consent, with a girl 13 to 16 it is unlawful sexual intercourse even if she consents, however the government guidelines stress to the police that all should not be charged, as an example if the police prosecuted a 16 year old boy who has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend the chances are the CPS will not continue as it is not in the public's interest. Although the law is clear there are grey areas in interpretation.

I can quite imagine the initial post quoted in relation to the 15 year old girl happening but also imagine the comments have been simplified. The law has to have some flexibility here as it would be unfair for a 16 year old boy who has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend the day before her 16th birthday to be labelled as a paedophile, sent to prison and ordered to sign the sex offenders register. it becomes very grey however where you draw the line on the person who is over 16, at what point is it considered to be too wrong, or wrong enough to charge someone.

Also Dave, although I went in front of a few dotty judges whilst a policeman the majority were very astute and on the whole very frank with their comments

-----------------------------------------------------------

yes this seems to be a common scam from thaigirls. I am living up here in Chaiyaphum and one of our neighbours is the "talk of the town" here...

This young girl has been at least two different times involved with falangs, and both times ended up with moneypayment to her family. It seems here that mama/papa is involved too sad to say.

These &lt;deleted&gt; lives just here and noone of us falang would even consider to enter their premises even though she now have a found a falang....

No sir! I never go near that house!!!!

Glegolo

Sounds like she is a money making factory all on her own LOL.

From this post and some others similar to it, it does seem as if this happens more than we think it does. If I am in that situation again and with a youngish looking woman, I'll certainly be more careful, especially if Thai men can be conned so easily.

There is many more stories stranger than that and true.

My daughter tells me of many, Which if it was not for her telling me i would not believe.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, That is fact anyone wants to dispute that. Try adding one more brain cell to the two you already have.

Is it because some of us mix more with Thai people that we get told of events that others would not?

I have found that I am told many things I would not personally believe, then I see a similar incident and have had to learn to readjust my beliefs.

Some people will go to many lengths to achieve their aims or to cause trouble and they can be very devious about it too, that much I have learned here from experience with socialising with Thai people.

Long live the reality that is so often a very strange existence. Makes our lives all the more interesting than for some others :)

I makes sense to a lot of us. Take a look beyond the narrow horizon and live beyond it a little too and maybe your life experience might be richer for it.

Why is the fine always settled between the plaintiff and the defendant at the discretion of the police. I'm almost certain there are courts of law in this country. Don't Thai people ever have to stand before a judge in order to defend themselves after an official complaint has been filed with the police.

Or just maybe don't get so wasted that you don't know who you are taking home OR check her ID OR both. But please don't try and make this guy out as the victim. Swim in the sewer and you will run into rats occassionally.