Obvious Scam In Patong?

mrgreg

Kindly read the parts of the articles from the Phuket Gazette marked in red…

So, on one side, we have an investment of 400 million baht for building about 20 kilometers of road (20 million baht per kilometer) and on the other side, we have an investment of 300 to 400 million baht for “completing” 3 to 4 kilometers (100 million baht per kilometer) (and as far as I know, the latter price does not include either the cost for land acquisition)!

I am not a construction road engineer but obviously something is wrong here…

Can someone explain that to me?

Cheers!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Patong gears up for high season

PATONG, PHUKET: “Patong Municipality will spend five million baht filling in the potholes on the unfinished Phang Muang Road that runs behind Jungceylon.

Patong Mayor Pian Keesin said he hopes the work will be completed in time for the upcoming high season.

The total price tag for the Phang Muang Road project, which requires completion of a three- to four- kilometer stretch, would be somewhere between 300 and 400 million baht, he said…

Kom Chad Luek

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rolly Tasker donates land for Phuket road project

Phuket City: “…Gov Wichai has pushed for the new new airport road project since taking office earlier this year.

The new road would run parallel to Thepkrasattri Rd for about 20 kilometers and cost an estimated 400 million baht, not including land acquisition.

Gov Wichai said the development project has been widely accepted by the public, with 12 land donations since it was first announced in late June.

The majority of the land needed for the project is administered by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, but the proposed route also cuts though 210 plots of private land: 177 in Thalang district and 33 in Muang District…”

Kamol Pirat

It reads to me that it is a 20 km road, of which 3-4 kms are still to be completed. Once that is done the TOTAL cost will be 300-400m

Yes, 5 mill to do the potholes in the last 3-4 km.

OP, it might pay to tune down the sensitivity on your scamdar.

It reads to me that it is a 20 km road, of which 3-4 kms are still to be completed. Once that is done the TOTAL cost will be 300-400m

No, if I’m not mistaken these 2 roads are different.

The one in Patong will serve as a new north-south artery though central Patong (cannot be 20km!)

The one parallel to Thepkrasattri Rd for about 20 kilometers will serve as the new airport road.

Very different length – same budget!

???

No, if I’m not mistaken these 2 roads are different.

The one in Patong will serve as a new north-south artery though central Patong (cannot be 20km!)

The one parallel to Thepkrasattri Rd for about 20 kilometers will serve as the new airport road.

Very different length – same budget!

???

Yes, one is in the middle of a city and the other is through virgin countryside. It stands to reason that the km cost in a city should be much larger than out in the country, even ignoring land prices.