For The Diesel Experts

basjke

There are basicly only one supplyer of pure diesel left, Shell Vpower Euro 4 spec.

There is basicly only one supplyer of pure 95 petrol left, Shell Vpower 95.

Ahem, that is not quite correct.

I fill my motorbike at Caltex, pure 95, no problem. Also Esso still has pure 95 and so does Petronas. No idea about others because i never fill at others (Esso and Petronas only if i am at risk of running dry and no Caltex in sight).

Almost all stations (!) still have normal Diesel.

What is difficult to get is pure 91 petrol, but at least Caltex and Petronas still sell that, too. In my area at least (Bangna).

Best regards......

Thanh

Thats BKK Thanh.

Countryside its hard to find pure diesel and 95 petrol (non gasohol). Even Phuket.

Pure 91 is very common countryside, cause everyone have had bad experinece with gasohol on their motorbikes. Rubberhoses, carbs and sparkplug.

Edited by katabeachbum

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my Captiva today, had a slightl embarrasing moment at the gas station as we couldn`t figure out how to open the hatch for the fuel cap :D

Another Captiva pulled up behind us an told us to unlock the central locking... :)

We asked him about the B5 diesel, and he told us to never use it, so there.

Its also mentioned in the Thai manual, but they dont read them...

Tommy

Got my Captiva today, had a slightl embarrasing moment at the gas station as we couldn`t figure out how to open the hatch for the fuel cap :D

Another Captiva pulled up behind us an told us to unlock the central locking... :)

We asked him about the B5 diesel, and he told us to never use it, so there.

Its also mentioned in the Thai manual, but they dont read them...

Tommy

Very interesting Tommy.

Would have thought mid 2008 Captiva could run B5, but as youv read in the Chevy manual it cant.

I think the engine 2000cc/150 hp is a Euro 4 spec, and I wouldnt be amazed if you use less fuel running Shells Vpower Euro 4.

I would try 3 tanks of normal diesel and then 3 tanks of Shells VPower Euro 4, and you can see if there is any change in power and fuelconsumption. Start with the normal diesel to get all the B5 out of your filters and max lubrication.

Hi.

I've tried that Shell V-Power in my D-Max and didn't notice even the slightest difference compared to ordinary Diesel from Caltex, Esso or any other. Neither more power nor less consumption.

Also my motorbike doesn't run any better on Shell V-Power 95 than it does on Caltex 95.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi.

I've tried that Shell V-Power in my D-Max and didn't notice even the slightest difference compared to ordinary Diesel from Caltex, Esso or any other. Neither more power nor less consumption.

Also my motorbike doesn't run any better on Shell V-Power 95 than it does on Caltex 95.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Shell VPower 95 is very similar to any other pure petrol 95.

When it comes to Euro 4 diesel (Shell VPower) some highpower euro setup dieselengines realy runs much better.

Volvo just introduced XC60 in LOS, and due to the lack of Euro 4 diesel here it gets a 2400cc 185hp/400Nm at 2000 rpm engine here capable to run B5.

In Euro 4 countries it has the same engine with 205hp/420Nm at 1500rpm. But that requires Euro 4 diesel.

Captiva 2000cc/150 hp is the most powerful 2000cc developed in Asia, so it might be able to take advantage of better fuel.

Its not expensive to try :)

Edited by katabeachbum

Biodiesel can be used in Captiva!!! Have a go at this , then tell me if i know what I'm talking about!

Or you can call GM directly and they will give you the same answer, as this News.

http://www.at-bangkok.com/detail_news.php?new_id=227

Just about everyone in LOS says biodiesel can be used, but why did OP need to repair his fuel system? According to Chevrolet because he used biodiesel. :)

If you phone Chev or read the new artical, you will see that the newer units can run Safely on B5. It is the OLDER units that have some problems. These were mainly with the fuel pumps and o-rings.

This was more for the poster whom said someone behind him told him not to use B5. Though he didn't even know enough about his car to open the fuel latch.

This should have been a first question as to uses of B5 as it will be the only diesel fuel sold in 2 years time.

And just so you know! All diesel sold in Thailand as of April 1 2008 is B2 or 2% Biodiesel, even your Vpower!

Thailand Bio diesel mandate nationwide use of B2 in April, 2008 / B5 in 2011 / B10 in 2012

Edited by Bpraim1

Biodiesel can be used in Captiva!!! Have a go at this , then tell me if i know what I'm talking about!

Or you can call GM directly and they will give you the same answer, as this News.

Just about everyone in LOS says biodiesel can be used, but why did OP need to repair his fuel system? According to Chevrolet because he used biodiesel. :)

Yes they told me and after the repair they told me again not to use B5 again.I wonder what I gonna do with my colorado after 2011.Guess it doesn't look nice as a flower pot.

If you phone Chev or read the new artical, you will see that the newer units can run Safely on B5. It is the OLDER units that have some problems. These were mainly with the fuel pumps and o-rings.

This was more for the poster whom said someone behind him told him not to use B5. Though he didn't even know enough about his car to open the fuel latch.

This should have been a first question as to uses of B5 as it will be the only diesel fuel sold in 2 years time.

And just so you know! All diesel sold in Thailand as of April 1 2008 is B2 or 2% Biodiesel, even your Vpower!

Thailand Bio diesel mandate nationwide use of B2 in April, 2008 / B5 in 2011 / B10 in 2012

No this was from me, an owner who Had his car for 5 minutes since he (I) bought it, and already read in the English manual (that I bought before I got the car) and had my Thai brother-in-law read the thai manual to confirm that Chevrolet states that you should never use Diesel made fully or partly, or mixed with plant oil.

I also asked the Captiva owner who happened to pull up behind us about B5-diesel, thinking he might know something more about it, as he was a member of the Captiva-club in thailand and seemed take very good care of his "baby".

Still I have not checked it with Chevrolet, maybe I will or maybe not, think I will stay on Regular Diesel or Shell V-power, cant see the reason to risk a perfectly good engine to save a couple of Euro Cents/liter. :D

The problem with the fuel cap was that the central locking was locked and stayed locked even when I opened the doors, I hadn´t seen that in the manual. :)

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

Diesel engines can be run on almost any type of vegetable or mineral oil, why would adding 5% solution of such to pure diesel damage anything?

I belive it may be a problem for the Newer Commonrail systems as they use much higher injection pressure (than the older mechanical kind of inj-pumps and valves), and might need better lubrication from the fuel to function properly.

Or it might well be that the Plant oil dissolves the O-rings and other seals in the fuel system, if they are made from a rubber that cant handle plant oil.

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

OK, just saw your link, Thanks!

Will contact Chevrolet to confirm, so I dont have to worry when my wife refuels the car when I`m away working.

Still staying with regular Diesel, I have seen what (Swedish) biodiesel can do to powerful Volvo Penta engines in the recent past.

Tommy

Tommy, I suggest you call Chev directly! At the least it will put your mind at ease!

You should go to the person that builds your car to know what to do with it.

Not the guy behind you, not me ... Chev!

In not so long, on your not so new Captiva, you will be runnig on it anyway.

I also don't remcomend asking the dealer, most don't know and just go with what someone else told them.

I have also gone to 4 different dealershps and got three different answers. Only one was the same as the answer from the manufacturer.

ASK YOU MANUFACTURER

Ok just sent this email to Chevrolet Thailand:

Question regarding B5 bio-diesel.

I just purchased a Captiva 2.0 LT 2008, and I want to know if you rcommend B5 diesel or not?

I love my car, but I dont want to damage the engine by using B5-diesel, if that is the case.

The manual tells me its bad for the engine, but I read this on internet today: According to Steve Carlisle, President of GM Southeast Asia Operations and Chevrolet Sales Thailand, all Chevy diesels come 'bio-diesel ready.' .

Here i a link to the web-page i read: http://www.at-bangkok.com/detail_news.php?new_id=227

So what is it? B5 is ok or not? The car has more than 2 years left on warranty and I want to do everything right.

Thankful for a speedy reply.

Kindest regards,

Tommy (my family name), happy Chevrolet owner!

Will let you in on the answer when/if I get one.

/Tommy

Got 2 replies from Chevrolet today, one phonecall and one Email, both stating it´s no problem with B5 in Captiva.

Dear Sir,

In response with your requested, we would like to inform you that the Captiva can be safely run on B5 bio-diesel fuels without any harmful or damaging effects.

Should you have further inquires, please feel free to contact our Customer Assistance Center Telephone number 1734 from 07.00 a.m.-20.00 p.m. Monday - Saturday.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Assistance Center

Chevrolet Sales (Thailand) Ltd.

Speedy replies, I´m happy with the service!

Tommy

Some peace of mind for you.

I did alot of research of Bio diesels before useing them in my Navara. I had many people and still have many people say you can't run it. Even dealerships. But a simple all to the manufacturer answered all my questions.

Now I just laugh at people when they tell me how the think that it can't be used, and whom told them this.

That I am just a stupid farang, And my truck will die soon.

If it's good enough for the guys that engineered my vehicale , it's good enough for me!

Glad this is all sorted for yah.

Edited by Bpraim1

Me too, and Thanks for your input Bpraim1!

One last (?) question, do you know if you get the same milage and power from B5 as regular (ok B2 ) diesel?

Tommy

I have been using B5 in my 2004 3.0 liter Nissan Frontier since B5 became available. I can see absolutely no difference between performance or economy.

Some peace of mind for you.

I did alot of research of Bio diesels before useing them in my Navara. I had many people and still have many people say you can't run it. Even dealerships. But a simple all to the manufacturer answered all my questions.

Now I just laugh at people when they tell me how the think that it can't be used, and whom told them this.

That I am just a stupid farang, And my truck will die soon.

If it's good enough for the guys that engineered my vehicale , it's good enough for me!

Glad this is all sorted for yah.

Is the 2,5 Navara a Euro Nissan/Renault engine with Bosch dieselsystem or Japanese/thai with Denso diesel system?

Denso seems to be ok after 2007.

Bosch is ok now, but used to have bio problem . o-rings, valves and pumps.

One last (?) question, do you know if you get the same milage and power from B5 as regular (ok B2 ) diesel?

Tommy

I have been using B5 in my 2004 3.0 liter Nissan Frontier since B5 became available. I can see absolutely no difference between performance or economy.

This 109 hp 3000cc engine can run 50% (or more) bio without problems. Slight loss in performance though.

Tommy

You should try it yourself. Your 2000cc has more power than Bpriam1 has from his 2500cc.

Captiva may run cheaper/and/or stronger on Shell Euro 4.

You will notice no difference in milage from regual diesel to BoiDiesel in smaller % mixes. B5 you will find no difference, but that said! Diesel suppliers also formulate differnt diesel with different additives and octane rates. This is where your milage difference will come into play.

Katabeachbum Loves shell Vpower, maybe it is good, try it!

I use Shell, PTT or Caltex for B5 with PTT my first choice of Fuel. As they guaranty to replaice the parts in your B5 APPROVED engine, if their fuel is found to have caused the failure.

My truck is also modded with a piggyback Plug&play ECU fooler, EGR closed, Airintake & filter, and boost fooler. She still loves the B5!

Just at 60,000kms now, We popped a injector out just to take a look, Clean with minimal wear.

Removed the Oil pan to check for soapy build up. None!

So far so good.

After close'n off my EGR have noticed engine oil is alot cleaner, amazing how much soot is pushed back into the enigne.

And Yes my Dealer knows of moddes they even help me to do them. No problems with warranty either, but this is an exception.

P.S.

I am getting 36m/gl or about 15km per lt of fuel. 4 door 2x4 LE with carryboy. use'n these three fuel suppliers.

Edited by Bpraim1

You will notice no difference in milage from regual diesel to BoiDiesel in smaller % mixes. B5 you will find no difference, but that said! Diesel suppliers also formulate differnt diesel with different additives and octane rates. This is where your milage difference will come into play.

Katabeachbum Loves shell Vpower, maybe it is good, try it!

I use Shell, PTT or Caltex for B5 with PTT my first choice of Fuel. As they guaranty to replaice the parts in your B5 APPROVED engine, if their fuel is found to have caused the failure.

My truck is also modded with a piggyback Plug&play ECU fooler, EGR closed, Airintake & filter, and boost fooler. She still loves the B5!

Just at 60,000kms now, We popped a injector out just to take a look, Clean with minimal wear.

Removed the Oil pan to check for soapy build up. None!

So far so good.

After close'n off my EGR have noticed engine oil is alot cleaner, amazing how much soot is pushed back into the enigne.

And Yes my Dealer knows of moddes they even help me to do them. No problems with warranty either, but this is an exception.

P.S.

I am getting 36m/gl or about 15km per lt of fuel. 4 door 2x4 LE with carryboy. use'n these three fuel suppliers.

I m not really a lover of Shell VPower Euro 4 diesel. But I do enjoy finding the best fuel for a vehicle. Most LOS vehicles can not take advantage of Euro4 diesel, since they are Euro 2 or 3 depending on age.

For my 2006 Vigo 3,0 tuned to 205 hp/420 Nm (Euro Landcruiser spec) I gained 10% fuelefficiency with Shells Euro 4 and less smoke over ordinary diesel. This truck has a new owner now, Swedish ex rally driver and enginebuilder, and he has measured the exact same gain. Whenever this fuel is not available, there is more smoke and poorer milage. Due to the sloppy 4 speed auto, we are not able to measure 0-100 kmh faster than 9,5 seconds, but thats not too bad for 2,3 tons.

For 2009 BMW 520D/177 hp we gaine simalarly on mileage and increased performance.

I am quite sure if you try Euro 4 diesel on you Navara, you would experience less soot in EGR and possibly less consumption and more power depending on your ECU mod.

Kat,

As for the soot, That is a thing of the past.EGR.. I blocked it off.

I don't know if I can get any lower consuption. At 15kn/L I am very very happy.

As for the more power, I am tapped out now untill I start to change hard parts, which I am not into as of right now. I would have to say I am at somewhere around 180-200hp mark, from 144hp stock

For the OP

If chev has inproved their fuel pump then they should have replacement parts for your older pump to bring it upto B5 spec???

Not sure , but worth a shot to ask them. Could be cheap to change it now, then keeps change'n it over and over!

Though the pump costs more then the engine, hahaaha.

I will try to explain the problem which I experience with my chevy colorado 3.0 tdi common rail.

When I start the engine,either cold or warm,I will hear a sound same like the engine is running without oil which turns to normal after a few seconds.I have this also when the engine is warm but it have to be parked for at least a few minutes to have the symptom.

First I thought it was the oil which needs some time to travel to the top of the engine,but at closer look the sound seems to come particular from the left side of the engine.Therefore I think the noise is generated by the diesel injectors.

Today I went to the dealer and they connected a diagnose computer to the car which showed them that a valve was faulty.However they were not able to explain me what valve it was other then that it was a fuel valve.

Also it seems to be a common error because they could tell me the price of the valve,2300 baht,straight out of their head and knew also that they had it in stock.It would take about 2 hours to replace it.

I told them that I was using B5 and they told me that was the reason for the failure of the valve.

My question now is,which valve they are talking about and is it really necessary to replace it as I don't see any problem other then the strange noise for a few seconds when I start the engine.The car runs normal,has normal power and doesn't show any symptoms of a broken diesel pump or something.Occasionally the engine will stop shortly after I start it but it will restart without any problem so the reason for that can be something else.

Also if I replace the valve and keep filling up with B5 the same problem will probably return after some time I assume.

So are there any diesel experts on here that can explain me the problem and the solution better then the dealer could.

Thanks in advance.

My advice is dont mess about with this kind of thing. get it fixed right away and use the right fuel grade. a broken engine is very costly to you in the long run. i would also not buy a second hand car from someone that failed to take care of their car engine. If its making a funny noise then something is wrong and should be fixed immediately.

Kat,

As for the soot, That is a thing of the past.EGR.. I blocked it off.

I don't know if I can get any lower consuption. At 15kn/L I am very very happy.

As for the more power, I am tapped out now untill I start to change hard parts, which I am not into as of right now. I would have to say I am at somewhere around 180-200hp mark, from 144hp stock

For the OP

If chev has inproved their fuel pump then they should have replacement parts for your older pump to bring it upto B5 spec???

Not sure , but worth a shot to ask them. Could be cheap to change it now, then keeps change'n it over and over!

Though the pump costs more then the engine, hahaaha.

When I picked up the truck they told me again not to use B5 when I asked them why it could not be used they of course couldn't answer.

The repairmen also came out higher than the estimated 4900 from the morning and ended up at 6200 Baht.Still don't know exactly what they have done between the replaced parts I can only find the above mentioned valve and the top cover gasket.

However my bill shows also a liquid gasket(red) at 1251 baht and a "cdi"at 610 Baht.

The question is, did the repairs fix your noise problem?

Yes the repair fixed the noise problem and also it seems to have more power.However I would still like to find out what they really did but listen to their explanation doesn't bring me much further.I see they used a gasket for the chain tensioner so they must have opened that also.Anyone an idea on which part they use a liquid gasket?