My Thai sister inlaw has an electric water pump which comes on on demand.

This pump is situated about 10 metres from the house where there is no Safety cut fitted. I see a length of thin wire leading from the main to the pump. I would like some one to tell me if this should be earthed and where to fit the earth wire on the pump if requiered.

This pump is situated about 10 metres from the house where there is no Safety cut fitted.  I see a length of thin wire leading from the main to the pump.  I would like some one to tell me if this should be earthed and where to fit the earth wire on the pump if requiered.

In my opinion, anything that involves electricity and water together should have an earth. Take a cable (not a thin length of wire) from the metal casing of the pump and connect to a 2 metre copper earth rod driven into the ground nearby. Unless any expert knows different!

I would suggest that every electrical appliance is earthed anyway, but as a minimum, water heaters, showers, electric kettles, steam irons, liquidisers, water pumps, washing machines, fridges, and so on. Better to be safe than sorry for what it costs.

Edited by jayenram

Do as jayenram suggest and I would also consider installing a Safe-T-Cut to provide added protection to the whole house at a cost of only 2,000 baht or so.

You can use one of the nuts holding the pump to tank to attach the ground or there may be a spot already designed to attach the ground wire inside the top cover area if of the type used in cities to increase

Do as jayenram suggest and I would also consider installing a Safe-T-Cut to provide added protection to the whole house at a cost of only 2,000 baht or so.

You can use one of the nuts holding the pump to tank to attach the ground or there may be a spot already designed to attach the ground wire inside the top cover area if of the type used in cities to increase

Thanks for all your advice I will do as you say.

This pump is situated about 10 metres from the house where there is no Safety cut fitted.  I see a length of thin wire leading from the main to the pump.  I would like some one to tell me if this should be earthed and where to fit the earth wire on the pump if requiered.

hi wee jimmy ,i would be more concerned at the "thin wire "that feed the electrical supply to the pump lying in the surface!

maybye you could get something more robust like armoured cable instead? ------ another thing--check whether the pump is 220 volts or not, it may be a 24volt pump

with a transformer at the supply end ,so no need to worry about anything

Edited by andy50

I've installed a Safe-T-Cut for mine, just outside the washroom since we mostly use the pump when showering only. The pump is on the opposite side of the house and I've attached a heavy gauge wire to the pump's metal frame and then grounded it to a copper earth rod.