Cram Schools

midas

An interesting documentary I saw this week talked about Cram Schools in South Korea and where some

teachers are earning phenomenal money ( one has earned US$4 million A YEAR by teaching English online!)( see URL below )

Based on this, would it be correct therefore for me to assume they are much more serious about further education

in South Korea say compared to Thailand ?

http://anonymousxwrites.blogspot.com/2009/...cher-earns.html

Something which constantly bugs me is this seeming lack of motivation by Thai students.

From the documentary, I sensed there was a real passion

by these young Korean people to learn as much as possible which incidentally I have also seen in Cambodia.

But there doesn't seem to be the same urgency or importance here in Thailand -this is my impression anyway.

When I typed " Cram Schools " into Google I came up with one reference in particular which said

" In fact, there are so many cram schools in Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, and Hong Kong "

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Cram_s...tion/id/4952957

Why no mention of Thailand? Are there such things as Cram Schools in Thailand and if so, are the

standards similar to those in other Southeast Asian countries? I am just curious..........

Edited by midas

If you compare the economies of Thailand with the countries you mentioned (with the possible exception of Vienam for the moment) and say GDP per capita you will see there are light years of difference.

Too few Thais are industrious enough.

Within the next generation or two, Thailand will be a back-water in Asia.

They will be still at the top however, when compared to their three neighbours immediately to the west, north and east, and most Thais might see that as an accomplisment in itself.

Some Thai teachers of English and other subjects teach after-school cram courses. Many ESL schools do the same. Many farang English teachers make money doing this. However, Thailand has no hyper-intense cultural drive to learn real subjects 12 hours of every day, as China, S Korea, Taiwan, Japan, etc. have.