German Restaurant

Spaniel

Hi 'fred2007' good choice. Each time to go up to Chiang Mai we always eat there :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address: 115/1-2 Loi Kroh Road, Chiang Mai, 50100

Phone: +66 53 27 6989

Neighbourhood: Night Bazaar

Located close to the Night Bazaar off Chang Klan Road, this restaurant is always busy. Despite its name, however, various cuisines are represented. The decor is practical and clean. You can choose to eat at a table inside or dine outside on the bustling terrace. The majority of the customers are tourists. The menu is written in six languages and leans towards authentic German fare, such as bratwurst, sauerbraten and schnitzel. Other dishes available include paella, tortilla, spaghetti and lasagna. A full bar offers a good range of German and foreign beers, and imported German schnapps, among other drinks.

Other details

Admission charge: No

Booking advisable: No

Category: Specialty, European

Cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard

Cuisine type: Contemporary, Austrian, German & Swiss

Disabled access: No

Home delivery: No

Takeaway available: No

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great pork knuckle btw :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. near by is the 'Red Loin and Guitar Man' in the same soi = road :D

I had a Vienna snitzel there.

It, along with the vegetables, looked like they were straight out of Tesco's frozen food department.

Tourist prices.

Meals arrive very quickly which suggest they are microwaved.

It's food but it's not anything to write home about.

And as you say tourist price plus 7% plus 10%

Not easy to find as it is in the middle of nowhere somewhere between Doi Saket and Sankhampeang, but Gunther is a real German Butcher. The food is great and every Sunday the buffet he provides is packed from somewhere 10.30 am till 2pm. Costs for the buffet are still 150baht pp, I think.

Check out this thread for details: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Smoked-Ham-H...36#entry2352436

You can also use the search function on the CM forum and search for 'Gunther' for more reviews.

Not easy to find as it is in the middle of nowhere somewhere between Doi Saket and Sankhampeang, but Gunther is a real German Butcher. The food is great and every Sunday the buffet he provides is packed from somewhere 10.30 am till 2pm. Costs for the buffet are still 150baht pp, I think.

Check out this thread for details: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Smoked-Ham-H...36#entry2352436

You can also use the search function on the CM forum and search for 'Gunther' for more reviews.

Is he only opened on Sunday? All the replies seem to be only about the Sunday buffet.

For those of you who may remember the famous ribs at the original Escape, Gunther was the supplier of those ribs and along with the special sauce created by Eddie the turd, most patrons agreed that they were the best ribs they had eaten anywhere in the world.

Mr. B. Bill,

Does Gunther and Eddie the turd still exist here ? It would be nice to have truely great ribs here in CM .I know there are a few restaurants claiming the best up here in CM and since there are so few real choices ....

it would be great to have something really good for the true "pig out" when needed !!

Edited by gatorhead333

Is he only opened on Sunday? All the replies seem to be only about the Sunday buffet.

They are also open during the week; a la carte and portions are quite good. Don't know if they are big as that's quite subjective to some. :) They do fill me up though. Closed on Wednesdays, but I'm not sure, best to give them a ring before.

On their menu is haxen, different kind of sausages of which I forgot the German names, cold platter, potato salad, sauerkraut, schnitzel, gordon blue, baked potato with onion and bacon, etc. They also sell to take home: cooked and smoked ham, salami, bacon, the different sausages, and other cold platter stuff of which (again) the names have slipped my mind.

When I go there, which is not often as I'm not that big of a meat eater, I always enjoy my meals. Plus that Gunther and his wife are wonderful people.

Edited by Nienke

Mr. B. Bill,

Does Gunther and Eddie the turd still exist here ? It would be nice to have truely great ribs here in CM .I know there are a few restaurants claiming the best up here in CM and since there are so few real choices ....

it would be great to have something really good for the true "pig out" when needed !!

Gunther certainly still exists, please refer to Nienkes post. As for Eddie the turd, well last I heard he was in Pattaya some years ago needing a fairly serious heart operation. When I heard this I was somewhat skeptical as Eddie never possessed a heart.

I really rate Gunther's place as well but if you are a newcomer to CM you'd be lucky to find it. The place in the Night Bazaar is very average. The Green Oasis I visited with some German's and none of us were impressed with the food or the miserly portions served. The Bavarian restaurant that was previously at the same site was excellent when the cook wasn't drunk.

It, along with the vegetables, looked like they were straight out of Tesco's frozen food department.

Tourist prices.

Normally, the ++ system is only in hotels but a few tourist restaurants also charge.

I wonder where the 10% service charge goes. In the past, I've  heard of hotels keeping the service charge, and recently I heard of one such restaurant doing the same. The staff  get very little in the way of tips as most people don't leave a tip when service charge is included. :D  It may be a good idea to ask the staff in these places if they get any of the inclusive service charge. :)

Edited by muggins

Almost none of these places are giving the service charge to their employees except to save money on salaries.

Apparently, because they are not called "gratuities" the restaurant owners feel free to use the money as their own. As muggins said, the problem is that the public thinks they are tips and so the employees don't get many.

Getgoin wrote an interesting post about this on the Bangkok forum:

My understanding of service charges were that they were divided up amongst the employees. Any cash tip goes on top of that. Perhaps I am incorrect.

You are correct in honest establishments, but many, many businesses in Thailand use the service charge for the employees salary. In other words, they rip them off!

All businesses in Thailand use the service charge for employee salaries.

That employers rip off the employees by using service charge for salaries is a misinformed statement. While most like to perceive service charges as gratuities, myself included, they are used as salaries and as a salary add on to supplement low salaries.

Thai law does define service charges as gratuities and does not require that service charges be used as gratuities for staff.

While I have seen many service charges added to my bills I have yet to see a gratuity added to my bill in Thailand.

Employers have to pay VAT on the service charge.

Minimum wages paid to employees who receive salary additions or "perceived gratuities" actually help the employer by reducing their taxes and come back to hurt the employees when they try to collect severance, social security or unemployment pay and also leads to large seasonal swings in salaries for the employee.

While many in Thailand still subscribe to the old days before VAT, service charges and other taxes the day is coming when the built in pricing of many businesses will give way to the western system of adding it to the bill.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Tourist prices.

Normally, the ++ system is only in hotels but a few tourist restaurants also charge.

I wonder where the 10% service charge goes. In the past, I've heard of hotels keeping the service charge, and recently I heard of one such restaurant doing the same. The staff get very little in the way of tips as most people don't leave a tip when service charge is included. :D It may be a good idea to ask the staff in these places if they get any of the inclusive service charge. :)

I am not 100% sure but I don't think that the Haufbrau House has a ++. Also for those than care the new menu for The Duke's Night Bazaar will not have service charge but will have VAT added.

We will be in CM next week and would like to try a German restaurant. Any recommendations?

:D you realy travel to CM to eat at a german rest. stay home :D

:) chiefofficer,lived here for 20 years :D

What a stupid post!!! :D

In other words - I like Thai food, if you don't, or if you don't eat it all the time, don't come to Thailand. I lived there for 20 years, so I am right.

:D:D

Keep 'em coming.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think that the Haufbrauhaus has a ++. Also for those that care the new menu for The Duke's Night Bazaar will not have service charge but will have VAT added.

I'm sure the staff do. :)

QUOTE (getgoin @ 2009-07-20 11:14:21)

I am not 100% sure but I don't think that the Haufbrauhaus has a ++. Also for those that care the new menu for The Duke's Night Bazaar will not have service charge but will have VAT added

I'm sure the staff do

with this 10% "service charge" these places just use it to pay their staff their 4500 baht month monthy wage for working full time with 2 days off a month!!

they do this by hiring a lot of hilltribe people that can not complain.

it is kinda like indentured servents of eyster year in that the owner of these restaurants holds their paperwork that they must sign for them for immigration to work since they do not have an Thai ID card. Sas!! then adding insult to injury these workers see the owner behind the bar drinking, eating, laughing, joking living large while they know that 10% keeps them from being tipped by farangs walking in from the night market that normally would tip something but seeing the 10% tip nothing!

We will be in CM next week and would like to try a German restaurant. Any recommendations?

:D you realy travel to CM to eat at a german rest. stay home :D

:) chiefofficer,lived here for 20 years :D

Chiefofficer,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Since you seem a bit "dense" I'll elaborate. We are not traveling to CM to eat German food but since we are going to be there on holiday for a couple of weeks, and we like German food, I thought we would try to find a German rest. I see you fancy yourself a bit of an "old timer". Well I arrived in Thailand in 1967. I'll let you do the math.

So far I've understood Gunther also delivers to Bkk. You may want to ask them about that (provided you like his products, of course).

If you want your meal to arrive on time you'd better order early, Nienke. I hope the delivery motorcycle has a warmer on the back. :)

Dohhh, Khun BB. How about they sell their hams, sausages, salami, etc. (=products) to BKK. But as said, not sure if they still do.

Edited by Nienke