Booking for flights to singapore

tutsiwarrior

I wanna go to Singapore to do a border run for my visa. Can I book a return flight by calling the local airline office then pay and collect the ticket at Don Muang? Thinking about either Singapore Air or Thai as I would presume that they would have a ticket counter at the airport and they probably have the most flights.

Too much to expect? Would like to know from local experience before I call them. If my Thai wife booked for her falang husband would she get a better deal? What if I said that I was an invalid or a cancer patient with 5 days to live? Everything same-same?

best regards

Honestly - you're bound to get a cheap deal in a package, or off the net.  Look in the Post or The Nation on any given day in the travel section, you'll not only nab a cheap return ticket, but they'll likely throw in 2 or 3 nights accomm as well, plus airport transfers and even a hot breakfast!  Try www.traveltech2000.com as well

Doubt if Wifey would fare any better in the price department (pardon the pun), unless she can convince the agent to take less commission.  :o

The basic airfare may be cheaper direct with the airline, but the  package option is more attractive.  Who wouldnt take the accommodation if it was only a few hundred baht more than the cost of the actual ticket?

Word of warning - picking up tickets at the airport is one thing - but booking them there is another.  Thai charges considerably more on a normal return fare booked at their Don Muang office than if you were to book it through an agent, or at one of their offices in town.

Honestly - you're bound to get a cheap deal in a package, or off the net.  Look in the Post or The Nation on any given day in the travel section, you'll not only nab a cheap return ticket, but they'll likely throw in 2 or 3 nights accomm as well, plus airport transfers and even a hot breakfast!  Try www.traveltech2000.com as well

Doubt if Wifey would fare any better in the price department (pardon the pun), unless she can convince the agent to take less commission.  :o

The basic airfare may be cheaper direct with the airline, but the  package option is more attractive.  Who wouldnt take the accommodation if it was only a few hundred baht more than the cost of the actual ticket?

Word of warning - picking up tickets at the airport is one thing - but booking them there is another.  Thai charges considerably more on a normal return fare booked at their Don Muang office than if you were to book it through an agent, or at one of their offices in town.

I am confused. Certainly the local number that you call to make a booking would not necessarily be the same as the booking office at the airport...will have to check this out...and you say that booking directly with the airline may be cheaper than a package. That's OK as I don't like s'pore and only want to turn things around as quickly as possible and get back to my front porch with drink in hand.

The big issue here is whether or not I can book the ticket by phone locally and pick it up at the airport without having to go to an office in town. With or without a premium for airport service.

Just want to:

call up the airline and make the booking for a simple return,

go to Don Muang and pay and collect the ticket...

either Thai or Sing Air as they would be likely to have ticket counters at Don Muang...

is that possible?

this is Thailand but how complicated can it get?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
I wanna go to Singapore to do a border run for my visa. Can I book a return flight by calling the local airline office then pay and collect the ticket at Don Muang? Thinking about either Singapore Air or Thai as I would presume that they would have a ticket counter at the airport and they probably have the most flights.

Too much to expect? Would like to know from local experience before I call them. If my Thai wife booked for her falang husband would she get a better deal? What if I said that I was an invalid or a cancer patient with 5 days to live? Everything same-same?

best regards

If you have a credit card just go to Singaporeair.com and book it online.   SQ fares are cheapest when you book on their website and they set up an e-ticket for you.  You just go straight to the check-in counter, tell em which flight you reserved, show them the credit card you used and they give you the boarding pass (or both if same day return).  No hassle, online security is fine and I have used it about 6 times with no problems.  TG have some facility but the fares are more expensive.

Incidentally, the reason why an airfare is more expensive at the airport is their is no competition.  Travel Agents are not allowed to have ticketing desks at airports. They can be near to the airport but not exactly in the terminal.