What Sort Of Disruption Can We Expect

john b good

PM confirms plan to visit Chiang Mai

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 18/07/2009 at 03:41 PM Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva insisted on Saturday afternoon that he will visit the northern province of Chiang Mai to inspect the implementation of the Thai Khem Kaeng (Strong Thailand) scheme even though the red-shirts would rally against him.

Mr Abhisit said the tour is aimed at performing duties as the prime minister not at inciting more social divisions. The red-shirt can peacefully rally against him and the government but the move must be in line with the law. They should not obstruct him form visiting local people to listen to their problems.

If he has a schedule I guess everyone (including the red shirts) will be aware of what it is, but, does anyone have any idea when he is coming

Edited by john b good

The news just reported that PM Abhisit will visit ChiangMai and Lamphun next month. That is 2 weeks after 23 July 2009.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...phun-next-month

If he is in town, I will try to stay home and watch the news and surf T.V. for updates rather than caught up in traffic jams and looking at holigans wearing those evil colour all around town! :)

Actually quite like the guy and think hes pretty honest and gen.but because of the old parasites that hang on to him he will find it hard to "cut the mustard" in the Mai............its Thailand ...but its not ...know wot I mean... :D

Maybe like Jockland could be a call for an independant Lanna .....one day....just listening to the local like.... :)

Let's see, Korn, who is a nobody, got met by 200 red shirts. My guess is that Abhist will be "welcomed" by 10 times that number, and that it could get ugly.

Also, if he took 6,000 police and commandos with him to visit Buri Ram, which is Newin's "turf", and supposedly "friendly", how many will he bring when he comes to the Land of Thaksin?

Regardless, when he comes, me and the wife are taking our new motorbikes on a little "road trip" for a 4 hour drive up in the mountains to visit some of her family there for the day. Either that, or staying home, which is 18 k east of the city of C.M. itself. But going into C.M. while Abby's here? No way!

If it's next month that would suit me as I don't really want any travel plans disrupted.

As far as Abhisit himself is concerned I believe that he is the most honest politician the realm has had in quite a while.

As far as the former head waiter is concerned I believe he is as bad as any of the despots from history. I would lump him in with Pinochet, Mussolini, Hitler and company.

The only thing that separates him from the others is that he hasn't had the same opportunity.

And it is clear that he (along with his mindless / brainless cronies) is he11 bent on destroying Thailand.

Edited by john b good

Moral arguments aside, I think he's been the most ineffective PM pretty much since Chuan. And that's saying something.

Even without the underlying dispute of yellow vs red, I would think that some constructive criticism would be in order.

not sure about that, I thought the old ginger Surayud is right up there

Moral arguments aside, I think he's been the most ineffective PM pretty much since Chuan. And that's saying something.

Even without the underlying dispute of yellow vs red, I would think that some constructive criticism would be in order.

not sure about that, I thought the old ginger Surayud is right up there

Right, I forgot about him. But he became the front-man after a military coup so he wasn't elected in any way, I guess that's why I didn't count him. :) Fair call though.

Really? Remind me again what Samak and Somchai got accomplished during their time in office?

You wish to debate the "accomplishments" of one Thai politician over another :) ?

Let's not go that way here ...

Please refer to topic before posting.

Edit: Think the the political dynamics are interesting, too, but deserve a separate topic.

Edited by mirelie

Really? Remind me again what Samak and Somchai got accomplished during their time in office?

did some handy cooking shows :)

... And got ejected from office by 'the powers that be' for being on that tv cooking show! When you're up against that i think it's unlikely to get anything done as the real power lies elsewhere. Wonder what Abhisit's excuse is, seeing he's everyone's favorite front-man and should actually be able to get at least something from whoever is holding his strings..

I hope someone starts a new thread when the actual facts about the visit are known. I don't really care about the Thai politics and don't want to check this thread every day and wade thru all the political rantings just to see what part of town I should avoid and when.

Unfortunately I left my brain at home when I went shopping for some new shirts for my forthcoming trip to Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and came home with a nice black one and a nice red one...guess what I'm not wearing on 6 August..

wearing a yellow one that day could be disastrous as well :)

Let's see, Korn, who is a nobody, got met by 200 red shirts. My guess is that Abhist will be "welcomed" by 10 times that number, and that it could get ugly.

.................edited to shorten.........

What I don't get is "what has he done?"

That could justify these actions by the reds?

That is what makes their actions illegitimate!

Who could take these Riff-Raffs serious?

What I don't get is "what has he done?"

They want him to call elections. He doesn't have to do this under the constitution, but it's a valid request and I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to be heard.

( Personal opinion: It's not so much 'what has he done' but rather 'what has he not done'. )

That could justify these actions by the reds?

Happens in every vibrant democracy. (And apparently in Thailand too. :) )

That is what makes their actions illegitimate!

The same constitution that allows Abhisit to cling to power by buying the support of enough factions/parties in parliament, allows the People of Thailand to voice their opinion freely. Maybe your issue is with the constitution.

Who could take these Riff-Raffs serious?

Why wouldn't you?