Legal Way For A Farang To Buy Land/house

In light of all the recent changes and restrictions on nominees etc.I was wondering if there is actually a legal way for a Farang to buy (and actually own) land/house in Thailand?

If there is, are there any restrictions and what is/are the safest option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

In light of all the recent changes and restrictions on nominees etc.I was wondering if there is actually a legal way for a Farang to buy (and actually own) land/house in Thailand?

Cheers

:) Leave it well alone for those of us fortunate or some say unfortunate to already have our homes and lives sorted its the same ol problem if its not one thing it's another when will this goverment start thinking outside the box!!

Cheers

Is there a legal way to commit burglary?

A farang can own a house but they cannot own the land it sits on. So, split the contact between land and house and arrange a lease for the land or similar and make sure your ownership of the house is registered at the Land Office. We've been there on this subject almost monthly for the past three years so do a search on this forum for details.

There have not been any recent changes to the law; as before, foreigners cannot own land and nominees are illegal. A foreigner can own a house constructed upon land over which he has land rights (a lease etc). Nothing has changed and certainly nobody has to worry if their land/house documentation is legitimate and above board.

As InterestedObserver notes, nothing has actually changed apart from the waters being muddied by a certain minister :D

I've fixed the spelloing errosr in the topic title :D

Crossy: I take it that the spelling mistakes in your posting are deliberate :)

Reason for edit: amended spelling mistake!

Edited by thaiphoon

Maybe check on becoming a permanent resident. Not sure if this is correct, but one of my friend that got PM, said he can legally buy 1 or 2 rai or land to build a house. Again not sure this is true, I never checked into it. However I do know it's not easy to get PM and it is expensive cost him something like 400,000 baht, had tp prove he was an asset to Thailand etc etc

Cheers

Nothing has changed.

Farangs can perfectly legally buy (and own!) land but the restrictions are such that in 99.9% of cases it will not apply and even were it does it is of little added value anyway (and is probably less worthwhile than even the loosest ownership structure).

The real options are never entirely safe. There are numerous threads in this section on them. However everyone is not entirely informed and or honest (including lawyers), the law is always subject to unknown future enforcement and or change and people's risk appetites and wealth differ.

Yes, there are actually two provisions under which you legally can own land, i.e. have your name registered as the owner of the title document.

(1) By investing 40 million baht in Government Papers for a period of 5 years you can apply for a permit to own up to 1 rai land in an urban area. The approval must be granted by the ministry too; or

(2) By way of inheritance. If you are legally married (marriage registered in Thailand), your wife has willed her estate to you and the land is maximum 1 rai, you will have the right of ownership to the land if your wife passes away.

Edited due to spelling error!

Edited by stgrhe

Hi all,

I am very confused. I just read that Australian Phuket resident Rolly Tasker just donated 8 rai of his land to the building of a second airport road. Well and good of him to donate and all.....so how does he (not married to Thai) own all that land???? Maybe through his business Rolly Tasker Sails...

Hi all,

I am very confused. I just read that Australian Phuket resident Rolly Tasker just donated 8 rai of his land to the building of a second airport road. Well and good of him to donate and all.....so how does he (not married to Thai) own all that land???? Maybe through his business Rolly Tasker Sails...

You have answered your own question. What's there to be confused about?

Ownership of land or landed property by a foreigner as an investment is questionable.

While you have to sneak your way through the maze of difficulty, will you be able to find another foreign buyer years later who is willing to go through the difficulty?

Maybe check on becoming a permanent resident. Not sure if this is correct, but one of my friend that got PM, said he can legally buy 1 or 2 rai or land to build a house. Again not sure this is true, I never checked into it. However I do know it's not easy to get PM and it is expensive cost him something like 400,000 baht, had tp prove he was an asset to Thailand etc etc

As far as I know becoming a permanent resident does not allow you to own land, you can build a house.

Advantages of PM are as follows

ticks.jpgBuy a condo without having to transfer money from abroad

ticks.jpgYou can become a director of a public company

ticks.jpgYou can apply for an extension of stay for non-Thai family members

ticks.jpgStay in Thailand permanently without a Visa!

ticks.jpgCircumvent visa runs, red tape and extended stays!

ticks.jpgObtain a work permit quickly and easily!

ticks.jpgObtain a permanent residence book an alien registration book

ticks.jpgImprove your chances of acquiring mortgage financing!

Also to get PM is fairly easy, main point is you must have 3 years continuous stay with a work permit to apply. The rest is very easy.