1 Tb External Hard Drive, Pantip Prices

Monkey Fish

Does anybody know how much 1 TB external hard drives are selling for at Pantip? Or perhaps a link to one of the businesses there that would have the same info?

I'm debating whether it's worth my while to go down there. CarreFour is selling them (Acer brand) for 3,700.

Thanks for any help.

If CarreFour sells them for 3700 you should buy it there. The dealer price is to close to that price that I doubt any shop in Pantip can sell it cheaper without actually losing money, so it's unlikely that they would do so.

I bought 1 in Pantip about 6 months ago, i can't remember how much i paid exactly, i think it was in the range between 4.400 and 5.400 baht, however what i still remember very well is that the power supplier went bust after just a month of usage, i took it back with the receipt handy, the staff looked like if it was a common occurrence and between a smile and a small thai chat between them, they told me that was my fault because i broke the internal small pin where you connect the power supplier wire (a total b/s), i then told them that it was simply impossible that i did that and after a small wait we went downstair to a place that looked like an "assistance point" for malfunctions or something, they told me that i had to wait 2 weeks to have it back, but just after a couple of days i received a call that it was ready to collect and i didn't had to pay anything at all, so to end the story short, if you have a technical problem have a good friend of yours to have a look at it first, otherways you might end up being charged for something you shouldn't pay for :)

Just for info, I bought a Seagate 1TB external Desktop Drive for 3500 Baht in Chiangmai yesterday (20/7/09). It was the easiest thing I had ever installed, just plug it in, it says to run a program and up it came. Finally something that is really plug & play.

For nakachalet I bought just the 1 TB Seagate drive 30/5/09 for 3750 include the cost of a external case , 450 Baht = 4200 Baht. Biggest difference is that it has a 2 year warranty as opposed to 5 years with the internal Seagate drives.

That's life.

As for Carrefour, if it is easier to get the drive there, why have the hastle of making a special trip to Pantip. Unless you were going there anyway.

Happy computing

I just bought 1.5 TB external drives (Seagate) on Sunday for about 5,200b per drive (i bought two)

That sounds really really cheap! Is it the FeeAgent Desk model? The light grey one.

Because that price is far below what the dealer price is, so whoever sold that must get some serious discounts from the distributor :)

To the OP: I would say go for the cheaper Acer model, of course it depends what you are going to use it for, but the Seagate doesn't have a fan installed anyway, so it's not suitable for a 24/7 drive.

Edited by d0ndela

I just bought 1.5 TB external drives (Seagate) on Sunday for about 5,200b per drive (i bought two)

That sounds really really cheap! Is it the FeeAgent Desk model? The light grey one.

Because that price is far below what the dealer price is, so whoever sold that must get some serious discounts from the distributor :)

To the OP: I would say go for the cheaper Acer model, of course it depends what you are going to use it for, but the Seagate doesn't have a fan installed anyway, so it's not suitable for a 24/7 drive.

I disagree. They are suitable. Further most of these external HDD (whether they are connected via USB or SATA) have a "power saving mode" or "sleeping" mode".

The disk will only spin when accessed. Of course I am not talking about RAID.

Let me add this. I also have 2 Maxtor (which is Seagate). They run 24/7 as "real time" backup.

16 month already and they never failed.

Edited by webfact

Partly to see the selection of drives and prices, and partly to prove my mastery of Bangkok driving, I chose to go to Pantip. I did manage to see the selection of drives and prices.

The Acer was available for 3550.

I got the Seagate 1TB Free Agent Desk drive with 5 yr warranty for 3820. Two of them, one just to backup the other. With a little discipline, I think they'll suffice for a while.

Thanks for all the input.

It's incredible how they are able to sell at those price. I would really like to know how they purchase their products, I wonder if they all order together so they get a huuuuge discount or what they do. Because the prices you list are several hundred baht cheaper than what we have to pay from the distributors.

you guys.... pls stop rubbing it in, alright?

Seagate 1TB Free Agent Desk drive with 5 yr warranty for 3820 baht

i wanna cry....

ok, next month when i come to bkk, i shall also look for one--maybe even cheaper.... lol

thx for update info.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to buy a Seagate 1TB Free Agent Desk drive with 5 yr warranty for 3820 baht at the Pattaya TucKom IT Center two days ago.

Prices quoted at some shops were as high as B4900 and some would only bargain down to B4400.

I told J.I.B. that their Panthip shop was selling at B3800 -- after some grumbling, they said "OK, 3820"

It's a great little gadget!

Thanks to this thread, I was able to buy a Seagate 1TB Free Agent Desk drive with 5 yr warranty for 3820 baht at the Pattaya TucKom IT Center two days ago.

Prices quoted at some shops were as high as B4900 and some would only bargain down to B4400.

I told J.I.B. that their Panthip shop was selling at B3800 -- after some grumbling, they said "OK, 3820"

It's a great little gadget!

Saw one in Fortune Town today for 3,790. Almost certainly not worth the drive to save 30 baht :-)

I just want to warn about using normal hd and putting them in a cheap external housing.

had now twice that the power supply fried the HD (smoke from the small board on bottom of it) (So I need to send it for Data recovery (each time 8000 Baht))

So for sure better to go with a brand name.

I just want to warn about using normal hd and putting them in a cheap external housing.

had now twice that the power supply fried the HD (smoke from the small board on bottom of it) (So I need to send it for Data recovery (each time 8000 Baht))

Seconded. I have several cheap no-name enclosures that died. Yeah, I am a slow learner :)

In addition, the brand name enclosure + HD I have now are faster than the no names. The no names got anything from an abysmal 10MB/s to 20 MB/s over USB. The Toshiba and Buffalo I have get 30MB/s and sometimes slightly more real life throughput. Those are 2.5" enclosures, mind you, 500MB each.

Just for info, I bought a Seagate 1TB external Desktop Drive for 3500 Baht in Chiangmai yesterday (20/7/09). It was the easiest thing I had ever installed, just plug it in, it says to run a program and up it came. Finally something that is really plug & play.

Can you reveal your source? That's a great price.

Regards bojo

For Bojo,

The Moat. From Airport Plaza, turn right at Chiangmai Ram Hospital (not left to Kad Suan Gow). Directly opposite on the left side, first computer Square (plenty of parking). Bottom floor at the back on the left.

The shop is jib. Thanks to this post I now have there website. http://www.jib.co.th

The box, label at the back 1TB Seagate External Desktop Drive

ST310006EXM101-RK

PN: 9SE2M4-670M

Happy Computing

Edited by newcomer01

i get a new iomega external 500 GB Sata ( Seagete Baracuda 7200.10)and after 1 week the hardisk broken not get any power,the case still working i put another hardisk inside no problem ? but for data recovery you pay to mutch i do it cheaper...about 3000-5000 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I shopped at FortuneTown IT Mall in Bangkok this week and after comparing features and price selected the Western Digital "My Book STUDIO Edition" 1tb External Hard Drive since it had Firewire 800/400 eSata and USB 2.0 connections. It included the Firewire 800 cable.

The best price I found was at two of the JET COMPUTER shops in FortuneTown for 4950 baht if paying cash or 2% higher if using a Visa Card. IN the USA Amazon lists the same product for $147.95.

They also had in stock for a cash price:

Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 640 gb 3950 baht (usb, eSata Firewire 400/800)

Acer D110 1tb 3490 baht (usb only)

Acer D110 640 gb 2650 (usb only)

Seagate Free Agent Desktop 1tb 4130 (usb only)

Seagate External Desktop 1.5 Tb 4390 (usb only) this item is not Free Agent. (usb only)

I did NOT check for eSata on the above 4 models.

Western Digital My Book HOME Edition 1tb 4620 baht (usb, eSata and Firewire 400)

The shops affiliated with Banana IT and other distributors were significantly more expensive for the Western Digital products.

I can't tell you how $much$ tape back up drives cost in 1994 on my first PC !!!

I saw a Westen Digital My Book Mirror 2TB device for 8500b in Fortune the other day, thats the cheapest i have seen one. Its a RAID 1 device but you can turn off the raid using the software that comes with the drive to get the full 2TB - i already own one (had it a good 12mths now) and they are good drives, a bit big and the fan is noisey but the fan only kicks in when the drive gets really hot (seldom). Well worth the $$$ if you need a large external drive.

Bought a seagate 1tb 7900 baht, can be plugged into the network. I never had a better drive. I needed a network drive because gf uses a computer too and its good to share files in the network. It also has an automated backup (nice for my business). I must say i never been happier.

I bought a network drive (chinese no name based on samba) a while back but it did not preform and it lost all my files a couple of times. So i must say this is much better.