Thais Entering Thailand On Foreign Passports

We will shortly be travelling to Thailand and, as we will only be staying

there for 3 weeks, my wife would like to travel on her British passport to

avoid having to apply for a visa to return to the UK.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if there is anything we

should be aware of in doing this; for example, do we need to bring certain

documents to show immigration on arrival or is it just a straightforward

proceedure resulting in a 30 day visa in my wife's passport. She is a little

concerned that as she last exited Thailand on a Thai passport, which is

still valid till January 2006, there could be a problem.

Any advice you can give me on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

dubstar

avoid having to apply for a visa to return to the UK.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if there is anything we

should be aware of in doing this; for example, do we need to bring certain

documents to show immigration on arrival or is it just a straightforward

proceedure resulting in a 30 day visa in my wife's passport. She is a little

concerned that as she last exited Thailand on a Thai passport, which is

still valid till January 2006, there could be a problem.

Any advice you can give me on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

dubstar

enter and exit thailand's borders using Thai passport.

enter and exit all other borders using UK passport.

this is what my wife does, (albeit with her aussie passport)

avoid having to apply for a visa to return to the UK....

If she has a British passport why would she need a visa to reenter the UK?

Do what the previous poster suggested.

TH

Dubstar, you PM'ed me so I'll outline step by step what needs to be done. Your wife, like most Thai's probably doesn't understand that dual nationality is now totally legal.

Firstly, she doesn't need a visa to enter the UK if she has a UK passport.

This is what you need to do:

Arriving in Thailand, she simply shows her Thai PP and gets stamped in. They won't ask where she has been.....they don't care.

Upon leaving Thailand, at airline check in, show the check in lady both Thai and UK PP's. The UK PP will tell the airline that she has the right to enter the UK visa free. Having the Thai PP there will tell the check in lady that your wife needs a departure card.

Go to immigration (after paying departure tax), and your wife should show only the Thai PP to Thai immigration. Thai immigration won't care where your wife is going or if she has a visa to go to that country. That is the airlines job.

She will be stamped out on her Thai PP.

Get to the UK, walk through the UK/EU passports line, flash the British PP.

She's in...sorted.

Thanks for the replies guys, especially Samran for replying to my e-mail.

I appreciate what you are saying and we may well do what you suggest on this occasion but, as my wife was planning not to renew her Thai passport when it expires in January, I would still like to know exactly what happens when a Thai arrives in Thailand with a foreign passport. Is it just a simple matter, getting stamped in for 30 days as some posters to similar forums are suggesting, or is it a lot more complicated than that. If so, just what kind of questions should we expect.

Please enlighten me!

Regards and thanks,

Dubstar

I appreciate what you are saying and we may well do what you suggest on this occasion but, as my wife was planning not to renew her Thai passport when it expires in January, I would still like to know exactly what happens when a Thai arrives in Thailand with a foreign passport. Is it just a simple matter, getting stamped in for 30 days as some posters to similar forums are suggesting, or is it a lot more complicated than that. If so, just what kind of questions should we expect.

Please enlighten me!

Regards and thanks,

Dubstar

My wife is a dual citizen and has been to Thailand several times using only the US passport. Since she has been staying less than 30 days -- not a problem. If there may be stays longer than 30 days, use as Samran suggested -- Thai pp on entry/exit to Thailand, US (or other) pp on entry/exit to other country. Show both to airline folks.

Good luck.

Please enlighten me!

Regards and thanks,

Dubstar

My wife is a dual citizen and has been to Thailand several times using only the US passport. Since she has been staying less than 30 days -- not a problem. If there may be stays longer than 30 days, use as Samran suggested -- Thai pp on entry/exit to Thailand, US (or other) pp on entry/exit to other country. Show both to airline folks.

Good luck.

Over 30 days she just has to get a visa before entry

Absolutely certain about her true nationality Patrick, no worries there.

It's not that she doesn't ever want to renew her Thai passport (she will keep her ID card up to date) but, as we don't expect to spend more than a few weeks in Thailand on any one trip in the forseeable future, it seems an unnecessary hassle. And, to be honest, I think we'd both feel a little uncomfortable doing the passport shuffle which, in spite of what many people are saying, seems a little bit dodgy to me. It just takes one immigration officer in a bad mood to point out that there is no visa to any country in her Thai passport to really upset the day.

Only Mr Red so far seems to get where I'm coming from.We will be staying in Thailand for less than 30 days and for better or for worse we want to use the Brit passport. Mr Red's wife has had no problem entering on her US passport which is really the answer to my question but I am still a little concerned as so many people are pushing the use of a Thai passport. If there is no problem, what's wrong with using a foreign passport?

(Confused) Dubstar

Absolutely certain about her true nationality Patrick, no worries there.

It's not that she doesn't ever want to renew her Thai passport (she will keep her ID card up to date) but, as we don't expect to spend more than a few weeks in Thailand on any one trip in the forseeable future, it seems an unnecessary hassle. And, to be honest, I think we'd both feel a little uncomfortable doing the passport shuffle which, in spite of what many people are saying, seems a little bit dodgy to me. It just takes one immigration officer in a bad mood to point out that there is no visa to any country in her Thai passport to really upset the day.

Only Mr Red so far seems to get where I'm coming from.We will be staying in Thailand for less than 30 days and for better or for worse we want to use the Brit passport. Mr Red's wife has had no problem entering on her US passport which is really the answer to my question but  I am still a little concerned as so many people are pushing the use of a Thai passport. If there is no problem, what's wrong with using a foreign passport? 

(Confused) Dubstar

I am with you. Travel on a US passport enables the holder to avail him/her self of US protection in case of trouble. That protection can be refused if the person travels on anothr nation's passport.

I am with you. Travel on a US passport enables the holder to avail him/her self of US protection in case of trouble. That protection can be refused if the person travels on anothr nation's passport.

Guess I had not really thought about that, Doc. Normally, I don't think that protection is an issue, but you never know. My wife is renewing her Thai PP and already has her ID card updated, all in preparation for staying longer there in the future. I was planning to shift over to her using the Thai PP solely when she enters or exits Thailand, US everywhere else.

Guess I had not really thought about that, Doc. Normally, I don't think that protection is an issue, but you never know. My wife is renewing her Thai PP and already has her ID card updated, all in preparation for staying longer there in the future. I was planning to shift over to her using the Thai PP solely when she enters or exits Thailand, US everywhere else.

Go for it Red. The shorter stays you are best off with the Yankee book :o

It is not doggy in any respect and it is the required procedure if you have a US passport. Believe Mr. Red example is relevant here as for longer stay or work she will have to have entered Thailand on a Thai passport or that will cause later hassle. Would not think 1,000 baht every 5 years would be much trouble to have an extra option for travel and nobody is going to be concerned about no visas in the Thai passport if they know what is going on. Most immigration officers these days are well aware of the use of more than one passport so it is not a real issue.

That said you may do the 30 day and visa route if you wish. Just want to be clear that it is not a legal issue.

Exactly, Lopburi3.

Nothing dodgy about using 2 passports, all perfectly legal and above board as both countries allow dual nationality. No need for a visa in her Thai passport as her British passport proves she can enter the UK.

I may be wrong, but I'm almost certain that as Dubstar's wife is a British citizen (wouldn't have a British passport if she wasn't) then she would be entitled to protection from the British embassy (if needed) regardless of which passport she used to enter the country.

Using a Thai passport to enter Thailand means that she will not be subject to any visa restrictions etc., using her British passport means that she will be. This may not be a problem now, but could be in the future. Obviously whilst in Thailand she would not have any hassle as she has an up to date ID card, but if some family emergency (for example) meant she had to stay longer than 30 days she may well find herself being fined as an overstayer when she did leave.

It's up to you and your wife, Dubstar, but the very small hassle involved in renewing her Thai passport could prevent some very major hassle in the future.

I may be wrong, but I'm almost certain that as Dubstar's wife is a British citizen (wouldn't have a British passport if she wasn't) then she would be entitled to protection from the British embassy (if needed) regardless of which passport she used to enter the country.

I would have thought that as she had Thai nationality, the British embassy would not be able to offer any 'protection'.

Dubstar your wife must have an (indefinite leave to remain in the U.k.) stamp in her Thai passport so no need for visa to return to the UK. Imho Thai pp the one to use. Rember to get this stamp put into your wifes new thai pp.

As this discussion sems to be tailing off, I'd like to thank all who took part. The situation is much clearer now and you have given me some food for thought. On this occasion we will definitely travel on the Brit passport as we are staying less than 3 weeks which seems like a good time to test the water. I'll let you all know how we get on!

Best wishes to you all,

Dubstar

I know this thread was suppose to be over but there's some misleading statements in some earlier posts.

Speaking as a u.s. and thai national, the u.s. does not officially recognize "dual citizenship" but does acknowledge that there are circumstances where a person may have citizenship in the u.s. and other countries. However, as long as you are a u.s. citizen, you will be given all rights as such, even if you have other citizenship. The u.s. gov does not however gaurantee to be able to assist you should that other country lay a stronger claim to you.

Given that the brits and the americans often dance in step, i imagine the same rules might apply to your wife.

All said, use your brit pp when possible. If in thailand more than 30 days, use the thai pp to enter/exit thailand, and the brit pp to enter/leave england. When thai pp control looks for your visa, show them the brit pp... no problems! I even used my u.s. pp as a form of i.d. when getting my thai pp renewed along with my id card.

Definetly make sure your wife renews her passport and id if she ever intends to visit for a long time, live in country again, or own property.

Link below descibes the u.s. policy.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I know this thread was suppose to be over but there's some misleading statements in some earlier posts.

Speaking as a u.s. and thai national, the u.s. does not officially recognize "dual citizenship" but does acknowledge that there are circumstances where a person may have citizenship in the u.s. and other countries. However, as long as you are a u.s. citizen, you will be given all rights as such, even if you have other citizenship. The u.s. gov does not however gaurantee to be able to assist you should that other country lay a stronger claim to you.

Given that the brits and the americans often dance in step, i imagine the same rules might apply to your wife.

All said, use your brit pp when possible. If in thailand more than 30 days, use the thai pp to enter/exit thailand, and the brit pp to enter/leave england. When thai pp control looks for your visa, show them the brit pp... no problems! I even used my u.s. pp as a form of i.d. when getting my thai pp renewed along with my id card.

Definetly make sure your wife renews her passport and id if she ever intends to visit for a long time, live in country again, or own property.

Link below descibes the u.s. policy.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

And to prove the above you give us the below - seems the US does recognize dual nationality but just does not like it much. :o I do agree with your recommendations.

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

• 1 month later...
Just to confirm that the UK does recognise dual nationality, and has no problems with it.

Just one of the many ways in which we are more civilised than our cousins across the pond! :D  :o  :D

Not only does the UK recognise dual nationality but when I registered my son's birth with the Britsh Consul BKK one of the supporting documents used was his Thai passport.

Also, when applying for my wife's Visitor Visa we were asked by the Interviewing Officer if the baby had a Thai passport and were asked to show him both the UK and Thai passports.

I am curious what happens at the age of 18 with Thai military conscription? Can you use the dual nationality as a means of avoiding the draft? :D

Maybe in 18 years the baby will need to use his Thai nationality to avoid conscription in the UK.....you never know :D

I am curious what happens at the age of 18 with Thai military conscription? Can you use the dual nationality as a means of avoiding the draft?  :o

If he stays out of the country till he is 30, then he will be out of reach of the consription officers as they automatically reject anyone over 30. If living in Thailand, odds of conscription/length of service depending on a number of factors.

I have outlined the issues relevant to this once or twice already. A search should help you out.

Morgan,

As the lady in question has dual British/Thai nationality, and a British passport, there is no need to have her ILR stamp transferred to any new Thai passport.

However if she get a UK Right of Abode Sticker in her Thai Passport it makes life Sooooo much easier and surely when travelling that is what we all yearn for.

No need for a transferred ILR (can cost dosh)R.of A. ...big RED one at £20 is a bargain...(again with thanks- Scouse) :o

I'm going to ask two simple questions and would love a simple answer from someone who knows a Thai national who has actually entered Thailand on a foreign passport (please, no hearsay).

What happens on arrival at immigration?

Do you know any Thai who has ever been refused entry arriving with a foreign passport and what happened?

Thanks,

Dubstar

K.W and I went to Bangers a month or 2 ago and due to a hitch/delay receiving her Thai National Passport back from UK ind with her BIG RED Right of Abode stamp she thought that she may have to go to LOS on her UK/EU P.P. :D

If she had to use it then technically she is not entering the Country as a Thai but as a British National/Passportholder and would have to fill in the TM7 on arrivals like every other faranski.

Would also of course qualify and come under the protection of the British Guv./Emb.while in country......sounds a bit Irish..but :D

She may have looked Thai,Acted Thai ,Spoke Thai and to all intensive purposes she is a Thai but on entering the hallowed turf..she is tech...one of us and on a 30 visa on arrival......technically that is.....TIT....SO..

As it happens we got the thing back with the Big Red etc before we departed so although she exited the UK on her Brit PP.she entered LOS on the Thai one.

Unlike us mere mortals who fill in the arrivals card ..on Arrival Thais (on T-PP) fill it out...u guessed it ...on departure....... :D It then means that they have it in their T-PP until they come back next time,so in a way they never actually leave. :D

On the way out from LOS simply show the T-PP and enter UK on the Real one...... :o

Many of wifes friends from Blightly travel on both PPs and I dont know any with correct documentation who has been refused (and that includes a couple of dodgy ones that are not for discussion..):D

Thanks, Rinrada. We will be travelling only with the Brit passports on this occasion. We are only going for about 3 weeks and it is reassuring to know they will actually let her in!

But are we likely to get a grilling as to why she is not using her Thai passport?

Happy Songkhran,

Dubstar

I'm going to ask two simple questions and would love a simple answer from someone who knows a Thai national who has actually entered Thailand on a foreign passport (please, no hearsay).

What happens on arrival at immigration?

Do you know any Thai who has ever been refused entry arriving with a foreign passport and what happened?

Thanks,

Dubstar

1) On arrival, you enter thailand through the foreigners line and get a 30 day chop in the Passport. No difference, other than filling the TM form on the way in.

2) No, usually the other way around, when Thai's trying to enter Thailand on the Thai PP have been told that that they should use their foriegn PP as that is the PP they were stamped out of the last country of. This only tends to happen at land borders if you have been travelling around Asia on your foreign PP.

Why do I enter Thailand on my Thai PP rather than my Australian one, even for short trips?

- Shorter immigration queues at the airport on entry and departure.

- Cause I am not going to do anything silly in Thailand, therefore don't really worry about if someone is going to give you diplomatic help anyway. In any case, as I have seen, embassy's are pretty cr@p at helping their own nationals overseas anyway, you are almost better off without them.

- It keeps my Thai passport looking 'busy', so if I do come across the occasional recalcitrant immigration officer, he is not going to wonder why my Thai PP is empty, have a look through it, and then give me the whole 'how did you get here without exit stamps from your last destination /you can’t have the whole 2 passports routine'.

-Cause I can, and I think in the main, entering the country you are a citizen of is a safer option if you need to change your plans and stay a bit longer or do anything which could be even vaguely described as ‘work’.