Kho Samed

barryofthailand

there is secured parking just at the main pier, behind the cashier's booth. cheap and never had any problems leaving my bike there for some days. the main pier is opp. 7/11, not the "Malibu" pier a few hundreds meter before you get there or the other big pier where the buses leave. JL.

Does anyone know where to park your car in Ban Phe while going to koh Samed

Barry

Hin Barry,

This is a very easy qustion: when driving south on the 'Promenade' (for a lack of a better word; the only road parallel to the sea), you will notice that there are two (2) piers which are in the business of shipping people to the Island. Forget about the Northern-most pier; but take the next one South. Simply drive-in and they will direct you to the vast parking-area.

It may pay you to buy one of those fod-out reflector screens, which you shouldplace behind your front windshield, just to keep-out the sun beating down on your dash-board, okay ?

Cheers,

JGK/Pattaya

Koh Samed Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information. We are thinking of going to koh Samed in September for a few days.

Barry

Go somewhere else . . . Koh Samed is way overpriced and really not worth the effort unless you are only going on a day trip.

Go somewhere else . . . Koh Samed is way overpriced and really not worth the effort unless you are only going on a day trip.

[/quote

Yeap...agree, and its fully of bl**dy tourists as well..... :) ...spend an extra couple of hours travelling and go to Koh Chang or Koh Mak or somewhere in that area

[/quote

Yeap...agree, and its fully of bl**dy tourists as well..... :) ...spend an extra couple of hours travelling and go to Koh Chang or Koh Mak or somewhere in that area

Don't listen to these guys. Samet is my favorite island in all of Thailand. Not too developed, good beaches, easy to reach from Bangkok, and just enough nightlife to make it interesting. I think you'll have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Samet is ok, but the only thing that irritates me is that they charge you a fee as soon as you put your fees on the island. The fee is a lot higher for a westener than for a thai. (The fee should cover for the maintenance of the island since it is regarded as a national park). I have stopped visiting Samet due to the unfair fee. (It's not about the money, just the prinviple that they charge a westener a lot more)

I also heard that they now also charge a westener a lot more than a thai for the boat trip to the island......They really know how to reduce the number of visitors.....

Anyway, if can stand the unfair treatment of foreigners, go there.

Have been to Samet a couple of times a year for going on ten years now. If you take a speedboat directly to your hotel chances are you will not have to pay the fee. If the rangers happen to see you get off the boat, if you have a Thai driver’s license they will charge you the resident price. If you don’t know the going price for the speedboat and pay over that isn’t that just the free market at work?

Quit feeling sorry for yourself for being a foreigner in Thailand.

TH

Samet is ok, but the only thing that irritates me is that they charge you a fee as soon as you put your fees on the island. The fee is a lot higher for a westener than for a thai. (The fee should cover for the maintenance of the island since it is regarded as a national park). I have stopped visiting Samet due to the unfair fee. (It's not about the money, just the prinviple that they charge a westener a lot more)

I also heard that they now also charge a westener a lot more than a thai for the boat trip to the island......They really know how to reduce the number of visitors.....

Anyway, if can stand the unfair treatment of foreigners, go there.

If you have a Thai DL or work permit...you dont pay the fee, on the boat trip... Never been charged more than the going rate for Thai nationals..

[/quote

Yeap...agree, and its fully of bl**dy tourists as well..... :D ...spend an extra couple of hours travelling and go to Koh Chang or Koh Mak or somewhere in that area

Don't listen to these guys. Samet is my favorite island in all of Thailand. Not too developed, good beaches, easy to reach from Bangkok, and just enough nightlife to make it interesting. I think you'll have a great time.

Opinions...Opinions....In my opinion..if Koh Samet is your favorite island, then guess you havent been to many islands in Thailand then... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Have been to Samet a couple of times a year for going on ten years now. If you take a speedboat directly to your hotel chances are you will not have to pay the fee. If the rangers happen to see you get off the boat, if you have a Thai driver's license they will charge you the resident price. If you don't know the going price for the speedboat and pay over that isn't that just the free market at work?

Quit feeling sorry for yourself for being a foreigner in Thailand.

TH

So what is the going rate for a speedboat to KS, or the all in price for a day?

• 1 month later...
Not sure as my wife always takes care of it, but from memory seems to be about 1,500-2,000 or so round trip. You call and they come get you when you are ready to come back.

TH

thanks, i think i paid about 5,000 for all day use a year or so ago, but we were 5 farangs and just one thai.

Not sure as my wife always takes care of it, but from memory seems to be about 1,500-2,000 or so round trip. You call and they come get you when you are ready to come back.

TH

thanks, i think i paid about 5,000 for all day use a year or so ago, but we were 5 farangs and just one thai.

150-200 baht one way.

TH

150-200 baht one way.

Next time I'll take the regular ferry for ~50bt, and with a Full Thai driving licence I should get thai price for the island national park fee.

• 2 years later...

[/quote

Yeap...agree, and its fully of bl**dy tourists as well..... :D ...spend an extra couple of hours travelling and go to Koh Chang or Koh Mak or somewhere in that area

Opinions...Opinions....In my opinion..if Koh Samet is your favorite island, then guess you havent been to many islands in Thailand then... :)

Samet is one of my favorite Islands as its the only Island my friends can get to in time to enjoy it for a weekend - Its always good in a group.

It's one of the few Islands that we can get to after work on Friday. Koh Chang is 5 hours on a very good run. Arriving at 10pm isn't an option.

This is why when compared to other Islands such as Koh Chang, Koh Samet is over priced with a lack of decent competition. It is however very very convenient and thats why it remains so popular amongst Bangkokians.

As Far as getting there and parking etc...

Parking at both piers is very safe, never had an issue. The speed boat costs about B1300 (single engine).

The national park fee is reduced to local rates if you show a Thai DL etc... (but mostly I've never been approached when arriving).