Directions For Taxi Driver

traveller76

Hello all,

I'll be visiting BKK again.

Need to learn some common phrases in Thai so it will be easier to for me to communicate with taxi or tuk-tuk taxi drivers.

May I know ho do I say the following directional sentence in Thai :-

1. turn right

2. turn left

3. go straight

4. stop

5. please stop in front.

6. go

7. turn right in front

8. turn left in front

In addition to that, 220baht is translated as "song roi song sip bhat" , am I right?

Kap khoon khrap :)

Hello all,

Need to learn some common phrases in Thai so it will be easier to for me to communicate with taxi or tuk-tuk taxi drivers.

1. turn right

2. turn left

3. go straight

4. stop

5. please stop in front.

6. go

7. turn right in front

8. turn left in front

In addition to that, 220baht is translated as "song roi song sip bhat" , am I right?

1. leo kwa

2. leo sai

3. tarong bai

4. jot

5. jot khang naa

6. bai

7. leo kwa khang naa

8. leo sai khang naa

220 baht is song roi yii sip

personally I avoid tuk tuk taxis like the plague, taxis are usually cheaper and safer.

Hello all,

1. turn right

2. turn left

3. go straight

4. stop

5. please stop in front.

6. go

7. turn right in front

8. turn left in front

1. leo kwa

2. leo sai

3. tarong bai

4. jot

5. jot khang naa

6. bai

7. leo kwa khang naa

8. leo sai khang naa

220 baht is song roi yii sip

personally I avoid tuk tuk taxis like the plague, taxis are usually cheaper and safer.

Thank you very much.....

At the airport, I always heard the announcement beginning with something like "Pron sap..." What does that means?

โปรดทราบ prood[L] saab[F]

is a formal polite way of starting an announcement (not something you use in everyday conversation except if you want to jokingly sound like a speaker announcement). Literally, 'please know'.

It can be translated into 'For your information', 'We would like to inform you that' or 'Please be aware [that]'.

3. tarong bai

Not sure where you got the 'a' in 'tarong' from?

Romanized Thai is always dodgy. Not really to be relied upon if you don't have an idea what the language actually sounds like. It's different to European languages where people are more likely to understand you even if you have a strong accent.

My romanization would be something like 'dtrong bpai'.

The 'dt' ต and 'bp' ป sounds do not exist as initial consonant sounds in English. They do exist in clusters though, when you say 'strong' the 't' in there is similar to the Thai initial sound of 'dtrong', and when you say 'spy' the 'p' in there is similar to the Thai initial sound of 'bpai'.

I'm with you on that one. They're not cheaper, except for very short distances (basically walking distance), and you're paying to sit in traffic and simultaneously breath the exhaust of the cars surrounding you and roast in its heat. Not a fan...

[Edit: I'd add that they are sometimes more convenient because they behave a bit more like motorcycles in that they flout traffic laws more than taxis can get away with. So you have to know where and when to use them effectively. In general, though, me no like.]

I'm with you on that one. They're not cheaper, except for very short distances (basically walking distance), and you're paying to sit in traffic and simultaneously breath the exhaust of the cars surrounding you and roast in its heat. Not a fan...

[Edit: I'd add that they are sometimes more convenient because they behave a bit more like motorcycles in that they flout traffic laws more than taxis can get away with. So you have to know where and when to use them effectively. In general, though, me no like.]

Oh... I thought "prod sap" meant something like "attention".... thanks for the explanation.

I do agree that tuk tuk is not safe and not cheap either... but for a tourist like me, it's exciting to take the thrill once a while :)

โปรดทราบ prood[L] saab[F]

is a formal polite way of starting an announcement (not something you use in everyday conversation except if you want to jokingly sound like a speaker announcement). Literally, 'please know'.

It can be translated into 'For your information', 'We would like to inform you that' or 'Please be aware [that]'.

3. tarong bai

Not sure where you got the 'a' in 'tarong' from?

Romanized Thai is always dodgy. Not really to be relied upon if you don't have an idea what the language actually sounds like. It's different to European languages where people are more likely to understand you even if you have a strong accent.

My romanization would be something like 'dtrong bpai'.

The 'dt' ต and 'bp' ป sounds do not exist as initial consonant sounds in English. They do exist in clusters though, when you say 'strong' the 't' in there is similar to the Thai initial sound of 'dtrong', and when you say 'spy' the 'p' in there is similar to the Thai initial sound of 'bpai'.

MS, hands up , you got me banged to rights, yes me too, no idea, typo, just typing too many words with a in them.

Agree, romanized Thai is a bitch, not even too happy typing leo, would rather type liaw, unless one is familiar with the Thai words it is tricky to get the correct vowel length and tone, which no transliteration will ever give you.

Apologies to op for confusion, phit ben pom.