Buy Laptop Thailand Or Usa

Alexander5

I want to get my gf an inexpensive laptop and wonder if it is better to bring one from USA or buy in Thailand.

Thanks

I think you will find that for just about all electronic products like computers, printers, LCD TVs, etc., the selection is better, the quality is better, and the price will be less expensive in the U.S. compared with Thailand. You get original software as well, not pirated stuff. But in your case, the keyboard may be paramount. You can get a keyboard adapter for Thai characters, but you need to install software to go with it. So, I think Thailand is your place for the purchase!

Walt

USA unless she is a TGF :):D

Bubba

It will have a Thai keyboard, Thai Windows and importantly a Thai warranty

Well GF is Thai. She is pretty good with English. Keyboard can be modified with stickers. Warranty obviously an issue but if can get a good price in US ($400-$500) wondering if it is worth the tradeoff. Can Windows be modified for Thai language? Thinking about possibly a netbook (either Asus or Samsung) or simple laptop or websurfing and basic computing.

Thanks for your imput

Here's the rub - she could negotiate better in LOS than you, when it comes to warranty work.

The warranty should be international.

If its a decent brand there should be no issues - either breakdowns or honoring warranty.

Most warranties suck. HP is possibly the world's worst - Sony a close second.

Samsung NC10 is 8 hours and last week's model - might be bargain basement by now. Especially with Linux. Luck

Bubba

Here's the rub - she could negotiate better in LOS than you, when it comes to warranty work.

The warranty should be international.

If its a decent brand there should be no issues - either breakdowns or honoring warranty.

Most warranties suck. HP is possibly the world's worst - Sony a close second.

Samsung NC10 is 8 hours and last week's model - might be bargain basement by now. Especially with Linux. Luck

Bubba

I bought my laptop in Chiang mai... 'thai keyboard' is irrelevant because it has the english letters on the keys too...

Acer 3810T. In the US it's ~$580 from Amazon, in Thailand it's 29,000 baht ~$865.

13.3" screen, wifi, 1.3GHz Core 2, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 6 - 8 hours per charge, 1.6Kg, Windows Vista Home Premium with free upgrade to Windows 7.

It comes with an international warranty and Acer has many service centers around Thailand.

http://www.acer.com/timeline/home.html

Maybe you could bring one over for me too? :)

I want to get my gf an inexpensive laptop and wonder if it is better to bring one from USA or buy in Thailand.

Thanks

Defiantly buy in Thailand if your girl is thai you will have the choice of using English or Thai and one more piece of advise buy Apple Mac

Well GF is Thai. She is pretty good with English. Keyboard can be modified with stickers. Warranty obviously an issue but if can get a good price in US ($400-$500) wondering if it is worth the tradeoff. Can Windows be modified for Thai language? Thinking about possibly a netbook (either Asus or Samsung) or simple laptop or websurfing and basic computing.

Yes Windows can be modified to appear in Thai, that's if you get Windows XP, but if you want a netbook then it will come with XP (or linux) so it can be done.

USA unless she is a TGF :):D

Bubba

It will have a Thai keyboard, Thai Windows and importantly a Thai warranty

Thanks for your imput

I've seen that on some machines. Thats a really bad idea. And it doesn't look "suai" too! These stickers will get very dirty pretty soon. Keep in mind the the Thai warranty!!! Thats a point. You may save 50$ in the US -

I saved in Canada exactly 25$ on a notebook...

Buy it here on special. I doubt your GF needs the latest and best laptop.

Whilst purchasing here is a nightmare when after the latest specs/configurations (I won't bore you with the details of chasing down a ThinkPad X301 here a few months back), the Thai keyboard is mandatory in my household. I have an HP laptop set up as follows - by setting the alternate language in XP to Thai, I simply have to hold down cntl + shift to switch between Thai/English for writing. This means my faen can correspond easily with her friends by email/chat/whatever in Thai. Not sure how she could do this if she didn't see any Thai characters on the keyboard. Finally, I can then hop on and just as easily jump back to English. Very handy.

Ok. It seems there are pros and cons (like everything in life) to buying in USA or Thailand. My gf's friend has a laptop her British bf brought from England and is very happy with it. I have used foreign stickers on my desktop keyboard and they are fine but they may not look as good on a laptop. I don't mind spending a little more to buy a laptop in Thailand (also she gets to pick the one she likes....big plus) however if it is big price difference more than $200) then I think it may be better to buy here (Baltimore). Currently can get 14 inch vista professional with 4 ram and 320 g hd with wireless and webcam (very important for gf) for $500. One more issue is sometimes laptops here do not come with modem and probably will need is she uses a dialup connection. She lives in Surin.

Thanks for the imput.

Prices in Thailand are generally lower than in Europe. Last year I bought an Acer notebook in Thailand. Keyboard is American QWERTY on the left side of the keys and Thai on the right side. It is easy to change from Latin to Thai script and v.v. (Alt-Shift or using the Language Bar). Windows Vista can be installed in English version. Just pay attention to RAM-memory. Most notebooks I have seen only had 1 GB.

post-73607-1248375898_thumb.jpg

post-73607-1248375953_thumb.jpg

post-73607-1248375977_thumb.jpg

Buy in Thailand and support the local economy. The savings is not that great and you won't have to lug it here and she can find the one she wants. After all its for her right?

You are right. The bottom line is to get her the one she likes even if it may cost a little more. I was trying to be too analytical (as usual) in terms of getting the best deal. The important thing is for her to be happy. Also it will be easier for her if everything is in Thai.

Thanks