Airport Scam Spreads To Skytrain

ASIC

This is nothing new, everybody I know knows about the Cigarette Scam. Its often played out right on the street down on Sukumvit too. It is relevant now that the government seems to be looking into some of these scams.

I don't have any faith anything will be done about any of this. Ive just seen to many people turn their backs in Thailand, its part of the culture. Just like nothing has been done to solve the deaths of two tourist in Phi Phi Island, now there is another dead girl.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Norwegian-Wo...0&start=550

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like pulling a piece of string. No one knows when it will end.

TheWalkingMan

Think our esteemed member "Softwater" and other thai apologists should be taking their rosey tinted spectacles off about now, and should thinking about an apology to the danish gentleman concerned, after calling him a publicity seeking drunk... :D ... as this story is sounding more and more plausible by the second... :)

I think Mr Georgesen, tourist that he is, is a bit confused as to what constitutes Siam station. His story would make perfect sense if he was talking about the men in brown lurking on the overhead bridge connecting MBK to Siam discovery. They are indeed Thai government officials, and they are definitely in the cigarette butt business. I have seen with my own two eyes how they go for any tourist smoking, while conveniently overlooking the Thais obstructing the walkway with the counterfeit junk. They have even set up a table on the overhead bridge where they can issue "fines".

You may well be correct, the MBK cigarette scam has been going on for years - and it is easy enough to confuse the two stations, if you are new to Bangkok. Either way, the story is more than plausible.

Whilst the story is plausible, I'm just wonder what sort of limp dik people like this do, walk around with a sign flashing on their heads "Please take advantage of me, I have no backbone" :)

What ''lie' and what 'Thai authorities' are you talking about? Skytrain 'guards' are not 'Thai authorities', and as far as I can tell from the OP, nobody has asked BTS to comment on this case, so what 'lie' are you referring to? The whole thing is totally uncorrobarated - just one guy back in the safety of Denmark telling a story and getting his name in the paper. Believe it if you want - but if you use the BTS regularly at Siam Square you'll realise how unlikely this is. For one thing, the platform guards are usually on their own, they don't go around in big gangs; secondly, BTS staff are, on the whole, pretty polite and professional. Thirdly, how do you know this guy wasn't being a drunken arsehol_e, got taken to the guard room, then made up this little story instead? Fourthly, since the guards are not police, the only authority they have is to remove him from the station. Fifthly, why didn't he go and report it as soon as he was out of the guardroom to, say, the station manager, the ticket office, a cop on the street, his embassy, oh come on, if this was real..what would you do?

My dear chap, you may not believe this but the thing you might glimpse from time to time if you squint enough is actually your nose. It's quite plain. But of course you may well wish to argue the point although to any sane person seized of their faculties there would be no doubt.

Incidentally, anyone in uniform on their patch in Thailand is ' the ' authority. Reporting anything to the police as a farang, complaining about a Thai, is always a risky business and should be considered very carefully indeed. Reporting incidents to one's embassy and expecting action suggests you have no real grasp of their resources and their authority.

The poor chap was just another victim. There are many more who don't come forward but everyone familiar with the Thai knows the risks. Whether it be getting a condo deposit back, being charged extra for accommodation on check out, paying for drinks not received, taxi scams, they are all the same ....you are the farang and you will pay. The uniform is just added intimidation and always ups the ante.

^ Yes this poor chap is just another victim in life.....probably a victim waiting to become a victim.

One needs to be very careful in the big city, there are many ill intent people out there, if you let them 'play' with you, you might end up being a victim too.

"I have no backbone"

This is precisely the crux of the issue and just what a lot of TV posters recommend. When faced with such a situation be nice, cooperate, or things could get a lot worse. The truth is these issues are more likely to occur with people who are seen- and act- like soft targets. Thai people know who they are, and can spot them with ease.

There is a saying among those who teach personal security for a living which is "never go to location number two." In any situation like this, you should do all that you can to appear to be a hard target and to look like the last thing you will do is go to the basement/hotel near the airport/car/van etc.

The same goes for tourists who are regularly short-changed. Grow some intestinal fortitude. Don't get violent but take an agressive stance and be firm but polite. Make statements like "I will not go with you" and "You have no authority to detain me". The reason that these things happen so often is that tourists here, by and large, are cowards. Thais know this and they prey on it.

When a taxi driver suddenly charges you double what do you do? I walk away. He looks awfully stupid then. We have people here on this board that say "Oh, just pay it. It isn't worth the hassle." That is ridiculous advice, and preaching this sermon is creating more and more victims in Thailand with every passing day. Stand up for yourselves.

I think Mr Georgesen, tourist that he is, is a bit confused as to what constitutes Siam station. His story would make perfect sense if he was talking about the men in brown lurking on the overhead bridge connecting MBK to Siam discovery. They are indeed Thai government officials, and they are definitely in the cigarette butt business. I have seen with my own two eyes how they go for any tourist smoking, while conveniently overlooking the Thais obstructing the walkway with the counterfeit junk. They have even set up a table on the overhead bridge where they can issue "fines".

You may well be correct, the MBK cigarette scam has been going on for years - and it is easy enough to confuse the two stations, if you are new to Bangkok. Either way, the story is more than plausible.

Whilst the story is plausible, I'm just wonder what sort of limp dik people like this do, walk around with a sign flashing on their heads "Please take advantage of me, I have no backbone" :)

:D Well us Toads aren't known for having strong backbones, you only have to see the amount of my brothers squashed on the roads to see that, but certainly would hope not to get caught out by these scam artists.

At National Stadium, outside on the overhead walks near the Tokyo department store entrance, police regularly set up a cigarette sting there. It is the police, it is not inside the BTS turnstyles. On the steps and the cross overs above Sukhumvit, there is no signage until you get to the central platform where no smoking is clearly posted, but no ashtrays available. Since I knew this scam, my friend and I stopped, put out the cigarettes and pocketed them. We were stopped in the same manner described by this article and 10,000 baht fine each for littering. When we produced the cigarette butts, there were grins all around and we were released.

From my experience, this story is entirely plausible. And thanks Thai Visa, it was here that I learned about this scam and how to protect myself.

The cigarette scam is a well known little bit of extortion at certain places around Bangkok; MBK walkways leading up to the BTS station being one area, another along the main Sukhumvit Road outside the Queen's Park. They threaten tourists with jail for littering in order to extort money.

At the entrance to the BTS station leading up from the MBK center I know for absolute fact the Police themselves removed the bins and ashtrays deliberately to catch more offenders disgarding their cigarette butts, leaving only the large bin outside the entrance to MBK which they couldn't move.

Bullying, intimidation and extortion is Thai Police modus operandi and these are mere petty crimes in comparison to what other members of the force get up to on a daily basis.

BMA Footpath Police. Exploiting the poor, tourists and general public.

Sounds more plausible that Mr Georgesen is scamming his local press - I don't buy this story at all.

Are you some kind of nutter who has missed recent events through being incarcerated in an asylum?

I think Softlad, may well be working for the BIB or Kingpower. Unless he is actually "Tony". :)

"I have no backbone"

This is precisely the crux of the issue and just what a lot of TV posters recommend. When faced with such a situation be nice, cooperate, or things could get a lot worse. The truth is these issues are more likely to occur with people who are seen- and act- like soft targets. Thai people know who they are, and can spot them with ease.

There is a saying among those who teach personal security for a living which is "never go to location number two." In any situation like this, you should do all that you can to appear to be a hard target and to look like the last thing you will do is go to the basement/hotel near the airport/car/van etc.

The same goes for tourists who are regularly short-changed. Grow some intestinal fortitude. Don't get violent but take an agressive stance and be firm but polite. Make statements like "I will not go with you" and "You have no authority to detain me". The reason that these things happen so often is that tourists here, by and large, are cowards. Thais know this and they prey on it.

When a taxi driver suddenly charges you double what do you do? I walk away. He looks awfully stupid then. We have people here on this board that say "Oh, just pay it. It isn't worth the hassle." That is ridiculous advice, and preaching this sermon is creating more and more victims in Thailand with every passing day. Stand up for yourselves.

Thats a top post monkeyface & so true. You don't need to start fights in the street and crack ur knuckles as you walk along, just stike a balance somewhere between being a hard case and a soft kok. PUMP UP people and remember you can always run and yell sex sex sex if you need help......it always gets attention! :)

Sounds more plausible that Mr Georgesen is scamming his local press - I don't buy this story at all.

Why he should do that??

Are you familiar with Western tabloid press? People make up all sorts of rubbish just to get their "15 minutes of fame" (= attention) or to get paid for their story.

Thailand is an easy-mark right now - what's the betting the next story will be someone claiming the flight crew of a Thai Air plane forced someone into a toilet at 30,000 feet and relieved them of 10,000 baht for not wearing their seat belt....

I was with a 20 yearold english lad called Jim Box he got shot in isaan by mistake, he got his 15 minutes of fame 25 years later when the official secrets act ran out :) , the expat thailand is perfect brigade should dust off their rosecoloured glasses, these type of scams were being run 45 years ago , but we didnt have mobile phones or easy computer access to the media,I am not a thai basher but lets face it farangs visiting thailand have no rights or support from the police or powers that be, To answer your question thailand has never been an easy mark, as many visitors and expats are finding out to their cost :D

PS the photo is james box enjoying his 15 minutes of fame!!

post-11182-1248337827_thumb.jpg

Softwater are you thai, you seem to be siding with scammers which side are you on falang or thai. This guy has peoples lives in his hands when he is at work so i doubt very much he will be seeking in your words his 15 min fame. We all know what happens in a thailand if yoy stand your ground. The iffence you were not guilty od suddenly escalates and you find your self in prison waiting for a court date there goes your flight home your job might go as well when the employer knows your in a thai jail. So in reality you can only complain in the safety of your own country. What about the bike scam in patters where the girl jumps on the back of your bike and the local plod who just happens to be infront of you claims you have girl on bike you pay 500 bht no helmet even if she is thai your the stung because your falang. So stop siding with the enemy and support your fellow falangs if your not thai.

Lets see you stand up to the tuk tuk mafia in patong and try and walk away. To anyone who knows this please remind Neverdie and monkeyface the outcome if you try this in patong.

Hey fool as I indicated before theres a big difference between presenting yourself confidently and not allowing yourself to fall victim to their mindless games and that of the action of trying to start a war.

Been to Patong plenty of times, seen the idiots you are speaking about and never became a victim and theres a good majority of people out there that can acheive this.

I've been more intimidated by a group of seniors on the way to bingo than these so called tough guy tuk tuk drivers.

Edited by neverdie

It's pretty simple really. I don't smoke. So if the security guards or police accused me of smoking and littering, I would simply say to them the same thing I said to my friends at school after taking a girl behind the bike shed 'smell my fingers'

Peace out.

I would simply say to them the same thing I said to my friends at school after taking a girl behind the bike shed 'smell my fingers'

Peace out.

Pity there isnt a law which prohibits the picking of ones' nose in public, the BiB wouldnt need to extort money from people on trumped up offences....they would be making a killing.. :)

Lets see you stand up to the tuk tuk mafia in patong and try and walk away. To anyone who knows this please remind Neverdie and monkeyface the outcome if you try this in patong.

Hey fool as I indicated before theres a big difference between presenting yourself confidently and not allowing yourself to fall victim to their mindless games and that of the action of trying to start a war.

Been to Patong plenty of times, seen the idiots you are speaking about and never became a victim and theres a good majority of people out there that can acheive this.

I've been more intimidated by a group of seniors on the way to bingo than these so called tough guy tuk tuk drivers.

I agree with neverdie on this,but it's some kind of skill you learn "on the road",not behind a computer screen.

Nothing against the Thais here,conmen are everywhere,but if you allow someone to scam you,you feed the evil and make it bigger.

It's pretty simple really. I don't smoke. So if the security guards or police accused me of smoking and littering, I would simply say to them the same thing I said to my friends at school after taking a girl behind the bike shed 'smell my fingers'

Peace out.

I JUST PISSED MYSELF :):D:D:D:D:D

At National Stadium, outside on the overhead walks near the Tokyo department store entrance, police regularly set up a cigarette sting there. It is the police, it is not inside the BTS turnstyles. On the steps and the cross overs above Sukhumvit, there is no signage until you get to the central platform where no smoking is clearly posted, but no ashtrays available. Since I knew this scam, my friend and I stopped, put out the cigarettes and pocketed them. We were stopped in the same manner described by this article and 10,000 baht fine each for littering. When we produced the cigarette butts, there were grins all around and we were released.

From my experience, this story is entirely plausible. And thanks Thai Visa, it was here that I learned about this scam and how to protect myself.

Welcome to Thailand!!

Softwater are you thai, you seem to be siding with scammers which side are you on falang or thai. This guy has peoples lives in his hands when he is at work so i doubt very much he will be seeking in your words his 15 min fame. We all know what happens in a thailand if yoy stand your ground. The iffence you were not guilty od suddenly escalates and you find your self in prison waiting for a court date there goes your flight home your job might go as well when the employer knows your in a thai jail. So in reality you can only complain in the safety of your own country. What about the bike scam in patters where the girl jumps on the back of your bike and the local plod who just happens to be infront of you claims you have girl on bike you pay 500 bht no helmet even if she is thai your the stung because your falang. So stop siding with the enemy and support your fellow falangs if your not thai.

This is probably the 'best' of the 'great posts' that have appeared in the last hour while I was off getting scammed for 15 baht (fifteen??! You mean it wasn't ten baht?! I know, I know....) by the Thai coffee lady (sister of the Thai Yakult scam girl no doubt, playing for big stakes in the 68 baht a-time game).

What we're talking about here folks is critical reading - I never said there are no scammers in thailand, god they're everywhere, there's even a guy sat on the coffee table opposite me eyeing up my laptop as I type. What I'm talking about is the Danish guy in this story said the SKYTRAIN station at Siam Square, and the SKYTRAIN guards, not the overhead walkway at MBK and the cops. Even if he's confused, as someone plausibly points out above, as to what is or is not a skytrain station (duh...) or a cop (double duh...) my point stands that he didn't get taken off by skytrain guards and relieved of 10k in Siam Station; THAT is not plausible REPEAT: I didn't say being scammed wasn't plausible, I said being scammed like this in the Skytrain station isn't plausible, and if you use it regularly as I have for nearly everyday in the last six years, you'll know why I am saying this.

If you read the OP properly, it implies this happened some time ago, even that he's been to Thailand since, so why's he suddenly talking about it now? Doesn't that make you even the slightest bit suspicious? All you people who believe everything you read just cos its in the newspaper, raise your left hand. Now use your right to type 'higher education' in google and get signed up for a course in practical reality.

To people like this knob-brain above talking about 'the enemy' and 'which side are you on' I can only laugh, and say god, I hope you're happy in your life, cos you sound like a real sad sad b*st*rd. The only side I'm on is NOT YOURS.

Edited by SoftWater

Hmmm maybe you haven't lived in Thailand long enough. Haven't you heard of double pricing, the airport scam, how foreigner are stopped for breaking non-existent road rules et etc etc... what about Ocean world in Siam Paragon charging Thais and foreigners different rates... And speaking of this issue, my friend's dad was stopped once near the National Stadium station by a man who showed him some sort of ID and asked to see his wallet, and told him it was a drug search. My friend's Dad is about 60, neatly dressed, sober, an architect by profession, and very soft-spoken, looks nothing like the trash that washes up the Khao San Rd shores. This was his first time in Thailand, so he called me to ask whether this was a regular practice. I don't know how many people get fleeced like that. And I don't know why Mr Georgesen would want to scam the press. I have lived here over a decade and seen it firsthand, so I know it happens...and nor is Thailand the first country to scam either..

Hmmm maybe you haven't lived in Thailand long enough. Haven't you heard of double pricing, the airport scam, how foreigner are stopped for breaking non-existent road rules et etc etc... what about Ocean world in Siam Paragon charging Thais and foreigners different rates... And speaking of this issue, my friend's dad was stopped once near the National Stadium station by a man who showed him some sort of ID and asked to see his wallet, and told him it was a drug search. My friend's Dad is about 60, neatly dressed, sober, an architect by profession, and very soft-spoken, looks nothing like the trash that washes up the Khao San Rd shores. This was his first time in Thailand, so he called me to ask whether this was a regular practice. I don't know how many people get fleeced like that. And I don't know why Mr Georgesen would want to scam the press. I have lived here over a decade and seen it firsthand, so I know it happens...and nor is Thailand the first country to scam either..

Hmm...and maybe you didn't read my last post (it's right above yours, not hard to find if you take your head out of your ....)

I'd love to keep playing this game, but alas I have to go get on the skytrain จริง ๆ นะ

This is probably the 'best' of the 'great posts' that have appeared in the last hour while I was off getting scammed for 15 baht (fifteen??! You mean it wasn't ten baht?! I know, I know....) by the Thai coffee lady (sister of the Thai Yakult scam girl no doubt, playing for big stakes in the 68 baht a-time game).

What we're talking about here folks is critical reading - I never said there are no scammers in thailand, god they're everywhere, there's even a guy sat on the coffee table opposite me eyeing up my laptop as I type. What I'm talking about is the Danish guy in this story said the SKYTRAIN station at Siam Square, and the SKYTRAIN guards, not the overhead walkway at MBK and the cops. Even if he's confused, as someone plausibly points out above, as to what is or is not a skytrain station (duh...) or a cop (double duh...) my point stands that he didn't get taken off by skytrain guards and relieved of 10k in Siam Station; THAT is not plausible REPEAT: I didn't say being scammed wasn't plausible, I said being scammed like this in the Skytrain station isn't plausible, and if you use it regularly as I have for nearly everyday in the last six years, you'll know why I am saying this.

If you read the OP properly, it implies this happened some time ago, even that he's been to Thailand since, so why's he suddenly talking about it now? Doesn't that make you even the slightest bit suspicious? All you people who believe everything you read just cos its in the newspaper, raise your left hand. Now use your right to type 'higher education' in google and get signed up for a course in practical reality.

To people like this knob-brain above talking about 'the enemy' and 'which side are you on' I can only laugh, and say god, I hope you're happy in your life, cos you sound like a real sad sad b*st*rd. The only side I'm on is NOT YOURS.

Good luck to you softwater - you will soon discover (if not already) that when some of the good posters of TV smell a scam of any description, logic, analysis, comprehension and critical thinking go out the window. :)

This is the worst so far - if you are in England why are you so upset about what is happening in Thailand?

Another of your great posts stated "Give me 10 good reasons to visit your pearl and i will give you 20 reasons why i will never return to your crime ridden pearl of the Andaman face facts your mai pen rai has put you in the DDS".

So your not coming back - I doubt anyone will miss you. So now please go join a UK forum and leave us in peace.

All this crap going on right now aimed at Tourists and Tourism could be part of a plot to discredit the current government in prepartion for the return of Mr. T

What would be his campaign slogan?

"I will stop farangs being ripped off?" Not much of a ring to that one.

The scams we are hearing about now, are in the public domain because of the freedom and reach of the media. Thaksin is in precisely the predicament he is because people blew the whistle.

I don't see Thaksin being able to swing it so that Thais or farangs believe corruption would be worse or better if he were here.

Corruption has always been here, it is just that the stories are publicised better than they used to be and Thailand's name deserves to be sullied until the authorities make a TRUE effort to clean it up.

For a country that sees nothing wrong with wives running off and selling houses out from husbands and provides no protection for the husband simply because he is a foreigner, I would suggest that Thailand has a long way to go before farangs are treated with the minimum of legal protection in most disputes.