Bicycle Racks For Skytrain Stations

george

Bicycle racks for Skytrain stations

BANGKOK: -- Elevated train stations in Bangkok will all get bicycle racks by the end of next month as part of a campaign by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to encourage residents of the capital to economize on fuel use.

Unveiling the new racks at the Surasak Station this morning, Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin said that although bicycles were allowed on the city's skytrains, passengers who preferred to leave their bicycles before boarding their train would now be able to do so.

Racks have been fitted at the Orn Nuch, Asoke, Mor Chit and Surasak Stations, with plans for all 23 stations to be fitted with racks by the end of March.

Mr. Apirak noted that by cycling, Bangkok residents could both exercise and save money on fuel costs.

The BMA is currently drawing up a number of cycling routes in the city, which will allow cyclists to get about safely.

--TNA 2005-02-25

BANGKOK: --  Elevated train stations in Bangkok will all get bicycle racks by the end of next month as part of a campaign by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to encourage residents of the capital to economize on fuel use.

Unveiling the new racks at the Surasak Station this morning, Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin said that although bicycles were allowed on the city's skytrains, passengers who preferred to leave their bicycles before boarding their train would now be able to do so.

Racks have been fitted at the Orn Nuch, Asoke, Mor Chit and Surasak Stations, with plans for all 23 stations to be fitted with racks by the end of  March.

Mr. Apirak noted that by cycling, Bangkok residents could both exercise and save money on fuel costs.

The BMA is currently drawing up a number of cycling routes in the city, which will allow cyclists to get about safely.

--TNA 2005-02-25

Well thats a good idea, but what I wanna know is when are they gonna put some public toilets at the stations, or at least at the busy ones, I can't understand why some bright spark hasn't done this yet?

I mean they could do the usual 3 baht for entry and 2 baht bog roll thing!

Just my opinion that public bogs would be utalised more than bike racks!

Well thats a good idea, but what I wanna know is when are they gonna put some public toilets at the stations, or at least at the busy ones, I can't understand why some bright spark hasn't done this yet?

Some BTS poo-yai's cousin's brother-in-law's son has bicycle racks he wants to unload to the BTS at a fair market price. It would be a different story were that connected relative in the bathroom fixture business. :o

Some BTS poo-yai's cousin's brother-in-law's son has bicycle racks he wants to unload to the BTS at a fair market price. It would be a different story were that connected relative in the bathroom fixture business. :o

Aaah yes! A very satisfactory explanation Ovenman!

The classic phrase TIT comes in to play!

there were few advertisements on Thai TV for last few mths - something like what it would be like in the future, when fuel would be nomore - bank robbers & police who chased them, emergency, chauffer for boss, etc were all using bicycles .... :o I didn't realise though that it'd happen that soon !

BTW - quite cool these advertisements can be sometimes ! like guy comes to petrol station, gets his tank filled - and then few smiling arab guys are shown - and all the money that guy paid for petrol fly into their wallets .... :D and the comment - something like - one who wastes too much petrol only makes those arabs richer ....

--TNA 2005-02-25

Sory John , i dont wish to be perdantic but this is the way i read it.

In any event, I can't picture the generally well-dressed types that form the majority of Skytrain ridership cycling to/from the stations in the Bangkok heat and humidity.

Exactly! (Speeew! sweaty bodies :D )

Thats why we need public toilets instead of blo0dy bike racks! :o

Perhaps I will contact Toxin about this! :D