Commonwealth Bank Travel Cash Card

Travel Cash was a prepaid Master Card debit card available in various currenciesfrom the Commonwealth Bank in Australia.

I have paid the one percent card fee for a couple of these and have had a few thousand dollars sitting there as an emergency backup while I am away from Australia. which is really permanantly.

I have just been made aware that these were all cancelled a couple of months ago and replaced by a new card offering which was apparently mailed to my Australian address.

They have also introduced a no activity fee.

Apart from the questionable morality of cancelling cards with a two year validity

which were touted as a secure way of ensuring cash availability I want to advise any users of Master Card Debit Cards to check carefully if they are still valid and advise them that they definitiely do not seem a secure way of carrying emergency cash

http://www.commbank.com.au/help/faq/travel/default.aspx

Q. Does the Travel Money Card have an expiry date?

A. Yes, the Travel Money Card is valid for up to 3 years. The expiry date is printed on your card. Please note the card life cannot be extended, and you should withdraw all funds prior to expiry.

That is for the new card that replaces the old. The old ones had a validity of two years.THe old were cancelled and had a 2 year validity which is not yet up. It seems replacement new ones were sent to my old address in Australia last month but is this satisfactory for a card which is meant for travellers who are not home.

The Travel Cash Card is not the Travel Money Card.

http://www.commbank.com.au/help/faq/travel/default.aspx

Q. Does the Travel Money Card have an expiry date?

A. Yes, the Travel Money Card is valid for up to 3 years. The expiry date is printed on your card. Please note the card life cannot be extended, and you should withdraw all funds prior to expiry.

That is for the new card that replaces the old. The old ones had a validity of two years.THe old were cancelled and had a 2 year validity which is not yet up. It seems replacement new ones were sent to my old address in Australia last month but is this satisfactory for a card which is meant for travellers who are not home.

The Travel Cash Card is not the Travel Money Card.

I was alerted to the replacement system via their web site, as i used the old travellers cash system regually. I contacted the CBA, and they sent the replacement cards to my Thai address via courier. The new system is not as "cheap" to use, but is not limited to ATM machines. Its more like a credit card. I suggest you contact (skype) the CBA Ph. +61 1300 660 700 . I found them really helpfull. Hope this is of assistance. BTW, i have the email of the "boss" of travel money,PM me if you want it.

Edited by drfang