How To Say "no" In Polite Manner In Thai?

traveller76

How do I decline someone's offer in a polite manner?

1. No!

2. no, thank you.

3. I don't want!

Actually the only officially way to say polite in thai is to smile and nod and then turn away and ignore them (in a very polite way of course)

if they are offering something that they can stick you with (like another beer) just smile and look them in the eyes and then turn away

its actually more in the actions than your language.

If you don't want it, its easy just say, "Mai ow Krup". Virtually every time you finish saying something, to be polite you should finish with 'Krup' if you are a male or 'Ka' if you are female.

To expand a little on that:

To decline an offer, like neverdie says, use 'mai ow krup' ไม่เอาครับ or if you want to be a bit more formal use

ไม่ต้องการ ครับ/ค่ะ mai tawngkaan khrap/kha - not as commonly heard though.

To answer a question in the negative, such as 'Are you going' 'Do you like X' etc. you use the following structure:

ไม่ (mai) + verb + polite particle (= ค่ะ kha [if you are a woman] / ครับ khrap [if you are a man])

So if the question is

ชอบอาหารไทยไหมค่ะ chawb ahaan thai mai kha (Do you like Thai food?)

To answer yes you use the verb from the question:

ชอบ ค่ะ / ครับ chawb kha / khrap

ไม่ชอบ ค่ะ / ครับ mai chawb kha / khrap

1. No!

2. no, thank you.

3. I don't want!

Actually the only officially way to say polite in thai is to smile and nod and then turn away and ignore them (in a very polite way of course)

if they are offering something that they can stick you with (like another beer) just smile and look them in the eyes and then turn away

its actually more in the actions than your language.

This is interesting, long ago I was told not to say ไม่เอา unless the question is เอาไหม which is unlikely, I would even say ไม่เอา to a tout now. ไม่ครับ has always worked. I suppose I have just said ขอบคุณ and waved-off or even added it after ไม่ครับ if circumstances seem to indicate that response. I don't think I could say nothing if something was offered without words and certainly could not ignore the giver; I have yet to get the knack of doing that politely. ไม่เป็นไร is sometimes 'in the frame' I believe.

I would be interested in what more socially aware posters say.

True, now that you mention it - when I decline food or drink I actually do use ไม่เป็นไรครับ rather than ไม่เอาครับ ...

It's not what my Thai teachers taught me, rather it's emulation of what many Thais around me tend to do.

I also use the mai pen rai to decline, i think it is comes across a bit less abrupt than the mai ow krup. If I use mai ow krup i often smile in addition.

mai pen rai without the krup in some situations is fine, but a plain old mai ow can be rude.

True, now that you mention it - when I decline food or drink I actually do use ไม่เป็นไรครับ rather than ไม่เอาครับ ...

It's not what my Thai teachers taught me, rather it's emulation of what many Thais around me tend to do.

Maybe you would be kind enough to also include the english phonetic spelling for those of us who are still attempting to learn thai text. :)

Maybe you would be kind enough to also include the english phonetic spelling for those of us who are still attempting to learn thai text. :)

Pardon me, what does mai pen rai means?

By the way, how do you say sorry ?

or Excuse me, if someone blocking your way?

excuse me...khar-tot krap

not sure of there is a right way to spell it but thats how it sounds to me

Or you could be really rude and tell them, "Bpai Reo"

pai rao , and

pai pai pai pai pai leeeery paiiiiiii

i use that some times on my dogs when they hang around me too long

mostly i just stare at them and say sternly, PAAAI.... PAAAAAAI !!

usually works.

only on dogs however. :)

most thai dogs understand this word spoken in this stern tone.

Edited by mc2

1. No!

2. no, thank you.

3. I don't want!

1. Mai!

2. Mai, Khop Khun < can add "mak" it's mean "so much" > "khop khun mak"

3. Chan mai tong karn! (male or female can say "Chan")

4. According to the 3. Pai hai pon! (go away!)

5. Pai tai sa! (go to hel_l) incase ur annoyed and they're still there :)

Edited by kitiya1980

'mai pen rai' means ' it is of no matter, it is nothing,don't mention it, no trouble, and, no worries (if you are Aussie)'

The ever so formal 'ko tang noi' means 'make way please' in a jammed up situation pavement, bus etc, it really works when 'ko tort' hasn't.

"3. Chan mai tong karn! (male or female can say "Chan")"

I was wondering what is the deal on using "Chan"? In songs, I think I hear males referring to themselves as Chan, but I thought it was supposed to be for females.

Maybe you would be kind enough to also include the english phonetic spelling for those of us who are still attempting to learn thai text. :D

'mai pen rai' means ' it is of no matter, it is nothing,don't mention it, no trouble, and, no worries (if you are Aussie)'

The ever so formal 'ko tang noi' means 'make way please' in a jammed up situation pavement, bus etc, it really works when 'ko tort' hasn't.

now, "ko tort" or "khar tot"? I'm confused :)

Kor bai noi works most times for me when someone is blocking my way.

"3. Chan mai tong karn! (male or female can say "Chan")"

I was wondering what is the deal on using "Chan"? In songs, I think I hear males referring to themselves as Chan, but I thought it was supposed to be for females.

Ok put it this way male or female or gay can say "chan" i know u guys confused "phom" "chan"

for example...i'm woman i say "chan">>> "chan love thaivisa.com" and ur a man u can use this word "chan" aswell say "chan love thaivisa.com, it's very useful site"

That's why u heard those songs men singing also use this word "chan" or "phom" but mostly they use "chan"

alrite hope it isnt too complicated this is thai language haha.

Kitiya

[

Its this one wherever you see it the vowel sound will be the same ขอ ทอด = kอ tอd, yes it really is that simple.

Edited by tgeezer

Don't mean to change the subject, but could someone explain how you are able to write both English and Thai script in your posts with, what appears to be , such ease? I use an IBM laptop running XP.

No idea but i will ask my friend well i will tell ya soon.

Don't mean to change the subject, but could someone explain how you are able to write both English and Thai script in your posts with, what appears to be , such ease? I use an IBM laptop running XP.

It probably all hinges on whether or not you have a keyboard with Thai script on it, you probably wouldn't be asking the question if you had, so go to the computers forum, I think there are 'virtual keyboards' etc. explained there.

It's Kor toat i'm pretty sure of that pronouce like "boat"

ok one more

Sorry = sea jai

Kor toat = apologize

Crikey, I have forgotten how to spell it then! I assumed it was ขอ ทอด from what you say it must be ขอโทด sorry about that. Quick edit, I just looked it up: ขอโทษ that's better, shouldn't be so lazy, I guess ขอทอด means take off your clothes, I don't get the chance to say that much!

Edited by tgeezer

Its got nothing to do with your keyboard, you have to download the language to your computer, you can type in hundreds of languages if your smart enuf.

มันไม่ยากอย่างที่คิด and now somebody is going to come past and tell me I've written it wrong. As for me, I'm too slow and make many mistakes so I will stick to english.

Here have a read of this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/do...me/default.mspx

Edited by neverdie

If you don't want it, its easy just say, "Mai ow Krup". Virtually every time you finish saying something, to be polite you should finish with 'Krup' if you are a male or 'Ka' if you are female.

This is the best answer. In a friendly tone of voice with a smile it is perfectly polite. Thais would not normally say sia jai or khor toht in this situation as suggested by some It is a bit over the top. Mai khrap by itself is a bit brusque. Ow doesn't need to be in the question for you to answer mai ow khrap. Mai tonkarn is too formal for this situation and sounds funny.

Don't do what I once did in a moment of weakness which was to suggest a particularly annoying tout get a proper job. He became quite nasty and asserted that he already had job as a tout!

To veer slightly off topic:

There is no accurate way to render the sound of Thai words in the Roman alphabet. There is an official system, which I believe was created by the Royal Institute of Thailand in the 1930s, still in use. It's used for transliterating street and place names, (for road signs), and by most Thais if they need to render their, proper, first and last names into our alphabet. This system is grossly inaccurate. An example being, the name of the new Bangkok airport. Officially it is: "Suvarnabhumi" from the Thai สุวรรณภูมิ However, the actual pronunciation is much closer to: "su-wa-na-poom"

So…to sum it up, there is no correct way to spell Thai words in the Roman alphabet. The only correct way of spelling a Thai word is by using the Thai alphabet. If you want to speak Thai that is easily understood by native Thai speakers, you must learn to read and write Thai. Having said that; I've come across quite a few native English speaking foreigners who can make themselves understood in Thai, without ever having learned to read and write Thai. However, their pronunciation, to my ear, was execrable. On occasions when I've witnessed such exchanges, it was obvious to me that the native Thai speaker was having a hard time following what was being said. I've even seen Thais wince, as if in pain, on hearing some particularly unpleasant mispronunciations of their language.

Back to the original topic: I must admit to having no patience with street touts. From me they get a sharp ไปให้พ้น and that usually works just fine.

Edited by dvc