Thai Driving Standars On The Improve

bloody tiger

Hello fellow expat drivers,

Over the years I have seen a lot of negative comments regarding the standard of driving on Thai roads.

Now that we are in the year 2009 (2552), i am extremely happy to report that driving standards in Thailand has vastly improved.

Now the Thai people have the driving skills which can be said to be at least the equivelant of those people born in such countries as Yemen, Malta, Tahiti, Bolivia and Great Britain.

Regards,

the blooded cat

Disclaimer: Up to 25% of the drivers of Yemen & Great Britain are well below the Maltese standard, but make up for it with a certain flair for theatrics whilst in command of a vehicle.

PS. I wrote this whilst driving from Singburi to Bang Gapi

Edited by bloody tiger

Britain is one of the best countries in the World to drive. Superb roads, affordable cars and drivers with manners.

Rivalled only by Germany and Japan. Possibly second division England too if not for too many bogan ute drivers with mullets.

I agree however with the comparison of Thailand with Yemen.

Over the years I have seen a lot of negative comments regarding the standard of driving on Thai roads.

Now that we are in the year 2009 (2552), i am extremely happy to report that driving standards in Thailand has vastly improved.

i suspect it's just you getting more erratic with age.

Britain is one of the best countries in the World to drive. Superb roads, affordable cars and drivers with manners.

Rivalled only by Germany and Japan. Possibly second division England too if not for too many bogan ute drivers with mullets.

When was the last time that you drove in the UK?

Superb roads? I must have missed that stretch of road, the roads in the Uk are a disgrace,

Affordable cars, true,

Drivers with manners? Must have missed that driver. I've driven in the UK for 23 years and the standard of driving is shocking.

Brigante7.

Superb roads? I must have missed that stretch of road, the roads in the Uk are a disgrace,

Affordable cars, true,

Drivers with manners? Must have missed that driver. I've driven in the UK for 23 years and the standard of driving is shocking.

Brigante7.

At least it's better than Thailand :)

Agree in the UK the standard of driving is shocking, but then you have to drive with one eye on the road the other on the speedo, more cameras in the UK then anywhere in the world

Frankly, driving disconnected maladies are common throughout all cultures.

As car ownership increases, and people gain more experience driving, things will improve. Still, the roads in Thailand are in horrendous condition and road signage is poor. These infrastructure problems will always make Thai drivers, and even falangs, seem like they are poor drivers.

Now the Thai people have the driving skills which can be said to be at least the equivelant of those people born in such countries as Yemen, Malta, Tahiti, Bolivia and Great Britain.

Regards,

the blooded cat

Disclaimer: Up to 25% of the drivers of Yemen & Great Britain are well below the Maltese standard, but make up for it with a certain flair for theatrics whilst in command of a vehicle.

Comparing to what 1970?

Jamaica is a much more controlled chaos to drive in. The Thais stil think the side view mirrors on bikes are used solely to pick zits. In Pattaya area if you are not careful at all times you will get hit for sure . most Thai drivers seem to neither possess a Thai drivers license or look in any direction when merging. Been here 5 years & it seems like the standard is worse than better or the same old same old.

Agree in the UK the standard of driving is shocking, but then you have to drive with one eye on the road the other on the speedo, more cameras in the UK then anywhere in the world

That's just about the stupidest thing I have read on TV. Are you seriously saying the standard of driving in the UK is terrible whilst the driving in Thailand is not. I am guessing that you are one of these people stuck in the Uk but desperate to get to Thailand, where you think everything is so much better. I'm sure you're not the only one here with that problem. I hope you never actually get here to have your dream destroyed.

The roads in the south of Thailand, specifically, south of Hua Hin are much better than In Issan. Unfortunately the drivers are MUCH worse than Issan drivers. On a recent trip from Loei to Krabi, I saw no accidents from Loei to Cha Am. I only drive during day light hours. From Hua Hin to Krabi, I saw one motorcycle driver crushed by a truck, two more motorcycles down on the highway. The riders had been taken away. A bus that had collided with a pick up and another pickup wrapped around a tree. Not only the accidents but the bad driving is quite noticeable.

Sorry here in NL we got the most of the world. We also invented the dam_n thing. :)

That's just about the stupidest thing I have read on TV. Are you seriously saying the standard of driving in the UK is terrible whilst the driving in Thailand is not. I am guessing that you are one of these people stuck in the Uk but desperate to get to Thailand, where you think everything is so much better. I'm sure you're not the only one here with that problem. I hope you never actually get here to have your dream destroyed.

Well said Richard.

Affordable cars, true,

Brigante7.

I drove a BMW V8 M3 Coupe around Scotland back in March. The same car in Thailand would cost silly money, if it is even available. I certainly haven't seen one on the roads here.

An absolute world of difference to driving in Thailand. The roads in the UK were in every way superior (surfacing, markings, lights etc), the scenery breathtaking, the driving fantastic. Other drivers showed discipline especially in lane and no silly manoeuvres or dangerous stunts as I have come to expect in Thailand. Really enjoyed myself as did the family.

I can only assume you have never driven in Thailand reading your post!

Each to their own I suppose.

The roads in the south of Thailand, specifically, south of Hua Hin are much better than In Issan. Unfortunately the drivers are MUCH worse than Issan drivers. On a recent trip from Loei to Krabi, I saw no accidents from Loei to Cha Am. I only drive during day light hours. From Hua Hin to Krabi, I saw one motorcycle driver crushed by a truck, two more motorcycles down on the highway. The riders had been taken away. A bus that had collided with a pick up and another pickup wrapped around a tree. Not only the accidents but the bad driving is quite noticeable.

the drivers in Issan are by far the worst in thailand. I have drove in the south by Hua Hin, up north and by pattaya, but I live here and they are by far worst. My wife goes to school here and the visiting teachers make the same comment.

Affordable cars, true,

Brigante7.

At least it's better than Thailand :)

In my honest opinion, driving in BKK is less stressful than driving in the UK, it seems I have a knack of slipping in to Thai mode when I drive in Thailand according the the missus.

Brigante7.

Regards,

the blooded cat

And obviously on the singa at the same time.

Sorry here in NL we got the most of the world. We also invented the dam_n thing. :)

Sorry, can't argue that as there are no figures available as yet, but how many bikes get nicked for speeding. :D

In my honest opinion, driving in BKK is less stressful than driving in the UK, it seems I have a knack of slipping in to Thai mode when I drive in Thailand according the the missus.

Brigante7.

Are you really implying that your a <deleted>?. :)