Imported Cars Looking Too Cheap

I've seen a number of ads at bmwsociety for nice cars at cheaper prices than listed in talarod, one2car etc.  For example M5's for 5-6 million, the above audi at 8.5 etc. However what's really strange is in the photos cars are shown with foreign plates such as this one with korean plates http://www.bmwsociety.com/classifieds/show...d.asp?id=155421

This seller has been around for quite some time so if it's a scam of some kind, he's still around, and if it's not a scam I wonder how these cars can be some much cheaper than those already here.

I've seen a number of ads at bmwsociety for nice cars at cheaper prices than listed in talarod, one2car etc. For example M5's for 5-6 million, the above audi at 8.5 etc. However what's really strange is in the photos cars are shown with foreign plates such as this one with korean plates http://www.bmwsociety.com/classifieds/show...d.asp?id=155421

This seller has been around for quite some time so if it's a scam of some kind, he's still around, and if it's not a scam I wonder how these cars can be some much cheaper than those already here.

Iv seen it for a long time too.

They could have friends in customs, but not sure if it could backfire like the big bikes just have. Page 18 in the reg book.

Wasn't there some publicity stunt by Thai customs recently with them setting fire to a Ferrari in the middle of Bangkok. It was to put an end to a loophole(Thai style) with luxury car importers avoiding higher import taxes I think by shipping the ECU seperately. Any connection?

Regards Bojo

Do they have a "scrappage deal".....in LOS

over here the Gov/makers/Dealers will give you up to £3000 and believe in Germany its £5K....160,000 bt off a toyo would make it worthwhile...yea.. :)

They are not.

They are unregistered and whilst the low prices can be quite tempting, don't. I cam across a two year old Volvo Xc90 that was on the market for 500K, man was I tempted.

My lawyer advised against it, and reluctantly (yet thankfully) I agreed.

A few weeks later one my friends fell for a similar scam and is now spending lots of time in court fighting to keep his car, he will pay probably have to pay full price of a new car, and legal costs to boot!

They are not.

They are unregistered and whilst the low prices can be quite tempting, don't. I cam across a two year old Volvo Xc90 that was on the market for 500K, man was I tempted.

A few weeks later one my friends fell for a similar scam and is now spending lots of time in court fighting to keep his car, he will pay probably have to pay full price of a new car, and legal costs to boot!

dam_n! & I was just about to whip 9 mil out of my everyday account and order this one :)

They are not.

That's kind of what I thought, but I wonder how they get them here in the first place? ( well actually I know how with the right connections.)

How do they (grey importers) get the paperwork and how can this pass muster with someone who ordered an expensive car, yet merely paid a small deposit to get access?  Surely the buyer would check with all relevant gov't authorities before outlaying a big pile of cash.

What happens is that they guy can usually arrange for a registration (albeit) fake, via bribes to the guy at the vehicle licensing dept but when its comes to transfer of ownership , you'll find yourself in all sorts of trouble.

Cheap today, expensive tomorrow!

Import (if official and not in a locked container stating scrap car parts) can be done inexpensively if secondhand (previously registered in another country) and malfunctioning. Like the Ferrari without ECU customs just scrapped publicly, in a shoppingcenter I think.

Registration can be done if you know someone.

But page 18 in the reg book would never have required legal import and approval info, and future major problems will arise. No docs for customs, emision, identity.

I v had two big bikes with such problems.

Not tempting to go there again, especially not with something I v payed more than 500k for.

Anoher solution is to do all imports and registration 100% legal, but never pay for the car abroad. Like leasing, finance or stolen. Very common in east europe and russia.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to contact these guys about buying in the future and also asked if I could contact some prior customers.  Here is their reply

"These cars do come from foreign and all these cars have pass all custom process, inspection and registed legally. The process of it is nearly similar to the import of brandnew car to Thailand. So in the end of process, customers will free from illegal car worry. Thank you for your interesting. For more information you can call Mr.XXXXXX or email to me, we will please to answer. And we are please to introduce you to our customers in the future. ( I xx out the name).

So at least from this initial response with no hesitation to contact various prior purchasers, it looks like it seems semi legit as far.  I've seen this same company advertise a lot of nice cars for sale coming from rhd countries at a cost that is 30-40% cheaper for quite a while now. 

Edited by steelepulse

Bargain, I'll have one of each, the M5 at GBP100k and the R8 at GBP150k! Seriously though, the R8 does seem 'cheap' when in my local Audi Showroom (Chiang Mai) they have a 'boring' Audi TT for 4.5m!

Needless to say, I will have to stick with my awesome Yaris (Sportivo, no less!) 1.5! :)

Did see a Lambo Gallardo about 6 months ago, now that guy had a few quid!!